How to overcome binge eating

Options
I've been battling with binge eating for a while now, I tried to make an appointment with the dietitian on my campus but she's booked until the 23 of October (I can't believe that). I have no idea where to start or what I should be eating etc. I'm 5'2 last timed i weighted i was 123 but because of all the binging I've been doing I'm sure I'm back up to 127. My goal weight is 110. I was planning on eating around 1500 calories a day but I don't know what I should be eating and how to eat to avoid binging. Can someone help me out please

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Since you're recovering from an ED you must have a therapist of some kind, right? I'm sure they could see you sooner than October -- they keep slots open for emergency appointments.
  • They don't, I asked that's why I posted this question. The dietitian doesn't start working until October 9 and she's booked until October 23
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from an eating disorder and went through treatment. I was 23 and my mother was dying of cancer, and purging food became my outlet. After I "willed" myself to stop purging, I went into some serous binge eating where I put on oodles of weight. In my mid-thirties I had the urge to start purging again and immediately got myself into a program, which included group and individual therapy. Thank God I was able to learn why I misused food and how to find better ways to deal with my anger and grief.

Be proud of yourself that you have recognized you have an ED and that you are working to do something about it.

What helped me stop binge eating was logging in every single thing I ate. I maintained a healthy weight doing this for five years, decided I didn't have to do it anymore, and now I"m back to logging everything I eat and the exercise I do. For me, it's all about accountability.

Hang in there and be patient, kind, and loving to yourself. October 23 will come around soon enough, but if you can't wait that long, talk to your counselor again and get put on a waiting list in case someone cancels. Also, ask her about therapists at your school or elsewhere who deal specifically with eating disorders. ED's are usually about what's underneath the food (emotion), not about the food itself.

Many hugs to you. :smile:
  • I have suffered from an eating disorder and went through treatment. I was 23 and my mother was dying of cancer, and purging food became my outlet. After I "willed" myself to stop purging, I went into some serous binge eating where I put on oodles of weight. In my mid-thirties I had the urge to start purging again and immediately got myself into a program, which included group and individual therapy. Thank God I was able to learn why I misused food and how to find better ways to deal with my anger and grief.

Be proud of yourself that you have recognized you have an ED and that you are working to do something about it.

What helped me stop binge eating was logging in every single thing I ate. I maintained a healthy weight doing this for five years, decided I didn't have to do it anymore, and now I"m back to logging everything I eat and the exercise I do. For me, it's all about accountability.

Hang in there and be patient, kind, and loving to yourself. October 23 will come around soon enough, but if you can't wait that long, talk to your counselor again and get put on a waiting list in case someone cancels. Also, ask her about therapists at your school or elsewhere who deal specifically with eating disorders. ED's are usually about what's underneath the food (emotion), not about the food itself.

Many hugs to you. :smile:

Thank you. I might try to research some meal plans I can follow until then
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't mean a dietitian, I mean a therapist. Do you have a psychologist, social worker, psychiatrist, physician?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I might try to research some meal plans I can follow until then
    Well, you need to find out about therapists too. ED is about emotion first, food second.