FiveFinger running shoes

Options
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/running_mens.htm

I'm considering trying these out, but wanted to know if anyone here has good or bad experiences with this novel type of running shoe?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider them "novel" at this point- they have been around for several years.

I have 2 pairs- I love them. I tend to use my NB minimum at this point because a pair of toe socks for the vibrams cost 12$ a pair- and a pair of regular socks cost 10 $ for 10 pairs. And I have an elf in my house that eats socks.

So- yeah- I tend to use the NB more- but I adore my vibrams. WAY moar better than regular shoes. :D
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I have some I use for crossFit. Ease into them. If your normally run 10 miles. Start off running maybe 2 in the 5 fingers and the rest in normal running shoes.. Your feet/body need time to adjust. Try an stay on smooth surfaces as you will feel rocks, roots, or w/e debris your running surface has to offer. If your stride is not correct these will correct it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but have a few friends that love them. I use New Balance Minimus running shoes.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    Love them. I alternate runs between regular running shoes and Vibrams. Agree with previous post that you need to cut mileage when you first start in them.
  • pmakretsew
    Options
    Have owned a pair for more than two years, love them, they make my feet stronger but you have to go VERY VERY slowly into wearing them more or you will hurt yourself.
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I alternate between the Vibram and regular training shoes. I find that the Vibram helps with my balance, as I can really use my toes!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous poster....ease into them. They will take some getting used to and if you are not careful, you can injure yourself.
  • Hjdavenport
    Options
    I don't run in my Vibrams, but I use them to do Insanity. I absolutely LOVE them! Don't think I will ever excercise in regular shoes again.
  • koru_clark
    koru_clark Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned it earlier...But start slowly if you switch to them. Personally, I love them. They have forced me to run more "naturally" which has been good considering the ITB/knee trouble I had historically had and don't now. I also have a pair of Mizuno zero drops that I swap in and out. Your feet will be amazingly sore/tired so having something with a little cushion is very helpful.

Good luck if you do it...I'll never go back to super cushion big drop shoes!

Disclaimer: You don't HAVE to have minimal shoes to have good running form. For those of us as stubborn as me, it was the push I needed...Minimalist shoes won't fix everything and if you don't avoid heal striking in them they can actually cause more harm than good.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I run in mine. DEFINITELY start out really really realllllllllly slow in them, especially if you're used to a high-support shoe, of you'll end up with all sorts of injuries. I started at 10% of my weekly mileage in them. I would literally carry my other shoes and switch over after I was 10% into my run. Same if you're a treadmill runner.

Also, make sure you've got good form. Watch Youtube videos, etc. Have someone check your form while you're running in them. A lot of the 'barefoot' movement is focused on reducing injury by reverting to a more 'natural' form of running. But if you're wearing them and still heel-striking, or whatever poor form might be going on already, you obv won't get any benefit, and will actually probably hurt yourself.

That said I love them! I don't wear socks with mine. I don't think mine are even really supposed to be for running, as they don't have velcro straps. But they do the job and I have a blast with 'em!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I love love love mine for lifting, and like them well enough for certain types of running. They don't offer enough protection, and they don't fit snug enough for aggressive trail running, but are great in more tame conditions.

If you're coming from a conventional running shoe, it may take some time for your stride/body to adjust. Be aware.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I run and lift in them. They took a little adjusting to when I first got them, but once I was comfortable I noticed my ankles getting stronger, my calves getting more of a workout and my shin splints disappeared.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I own 5 pairs (Winter running, trail running, running, lifting and another for just walking around anywhere)

I love them, but it does take some getting used to :flowerforyou: