Need calories without sugar! Help!

Options
When I exercise, my calorie intake increases and I have a hard time filling those calories without going over on my sugar. I go over on my protein and fiber, but I'm not as worried about those as I am the sugar. How can I eat more without taking in all the sugar?? I try really hard to eat non-processed and I don't eat sweets, pop, and drink sugar free water mixers. What more can I do???

Replies

• sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    How do you feel about peanut butter? It has approx 190 calorie per 2 tbsp serving. I find it quite delicious as a treat for those days when I need to boost up calories a bit. There is also cheese. Perhaps sugar free wheat bread with some cheese (I love Laughing Cow cheeses any flavor).

Best of luck to you!
  • cakefarm
    Options
    What are you eating that puts you over your sugar limit?
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Looks like you need to eat more in the beginning of the day and less later on. You need good complex carbs with protien
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Im quite often over on sugar but it all comes from dairy products and fruit so Im not concerned about it. If your only source of sugar is similar don't sweat it too much . . . just don't go eating a whole bag of apples in a day!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm always way over on sugar because I eat nuts and a lot of fruit. I don't even track it. I'm not giving up fruit to save on natural sugars.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    if most of your sugar is from natural sources like fruit i wouldnt be worrying so much, that kind of sugar is actually good for you. and just a tip, MFP's sugar ratio is really low for a site that counts fruit sugars into the mix. if you're not going over by a TON i think you're fine. :/
  • sjoy711
    sjoy711 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I reviewed my food diary and it looks like my largest source of sugar is cereal. Hmmm...I try to eat the healthy ones - Go Lean Crunch (12 sugars) or Frosted Mini Wheats (10 sugars). Maybe I should just go with oatmeal and fruit for breakfast? I eat peanut butter every day, but limit myself to 1 TBLS. Any other suggestions?
  • Melora
    Melora Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot for cereal. I love my Life Cereal and it has 6g of sugar. When you add milk the sugar goes up too....12g in a cup of skim milk.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Great question! Sorry- I'm not much help. So many foods are loaded with sugar it's going to be really difficult to stay under. In my opinion, after looking at your diary , I think you're doing just fine! Unfortunately, you may find that oatmeal has a lot of sugar as well, especially the instant versions. Good luck!
  • cakefarm
    Options
    Yeah cereal in the morning would make me ravenous.

As someone just said - I'd definitely try upping your protein in the morning. Eggs or 1% cottage cheese (3 g sugar) or Greek yogurt. That will decrease your hunger and lower your sugar.
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I would suggest peanut butter xxx
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    ooo yea Kellogg's mini wheats are horrible! They are filled with sugar.. there are much healthier cereals out there... look for one with High Fiber in it.. Your Net Carbs is what you really should be looking at.. as this is what processes into your body and causes sudden increases in your blood sugar causing you to get hungry faster.

Oatmeal is a good source of both Fiber and Protein and will keep you full longer.

I wouldn't worry so much about the sugars that come from fruit as they are natural sugars and process into your body differently than other sugars.
  • CHANGES4ME
    CHANGES4ME Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    :wink: GO 2 ABOUT.COM, I NEEDED INFO ON LOW CARB DIETS, ( WITH PROTEIN ), & IT GAVE ME A VERY NICE LIST OF PROTEIN FOODS I CAN HAVE ( WITH HOW MANY GRAMS PER OZ )I TALKIN BOUT NUTS, PORKS, BEEF, FISH, ETC..... TYPE IN CALORIE FOODS THAT R SUGAR FREE, IT WILL GIVE U FRUITS, OH JUS A LOTTA INFO......& GL 2 U..........
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Also I noticed that a lot of your sugars are coming from Potatoe's, Bread etc. If you could swap that stuff out for say Sweet Potatoes or Wheat Bread that would help, because it's a more complex carb and processes into your body more slowly.

On your Ham Sandwich are you using bread 19 carbs? I'm guessing 2 slices of white bread? try wheat or whole grain.. White bread is made of 95% sugar
  • sjoy711
    sjoy711 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh no - we use Aunt Millie's 100% Whole Wheat Bread. We don't eat any white bread anymore. But great suggestions everyone! I agree - I probably need more complex carbs in the morning - an egg or cottage cheese is a great idea! And I'm going to have to try Laughing Cow Cheese - I keep hearing about it and I've never tried it. I'll cut out the cereal for now and see where that gets me. It's just frustrating that even the veggies I choose have sugar in them. Keep posting ideas if you have any. And thanks bunches!!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    :tongue: Kick the cereal out and replace with oatmeal... add some stevia and cinnamon to the mix - YUM! Plus, you'll be more regular
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oh no - we use Aunt Millie's 100% Whole Wheat Bread. We don't eat any white bread anymore. But great suggestions everyone! I agree - I probably need more complex carbs in the morning - an egg or cottage cheese is a great idea! And I'm going to have to try Laughing Cow Cheese - I keep hearing about it and I've never tried it. I'll cut out the cereal for now and see where that gets me. It's just frustrating that even the veggies I choose have sugar in them. Keep posting ideas if you have any. And thanks bunches!!

Carbs are sugar, no matter whether they're whole grain or white. But the sugar in the whole grain processes differently in your body and is much better for you.

Really, natural sugars are not the enemy and it's nearly impossible to eat a healthy, balanced diet and come in under MFP's recommendations. They're way low and unrealistic. Sugar has never affected my losses or my health as long as I was eating healthy foods and the right number of calories.

I think you probably shouldn't worry about it -- unless you're diabetic, of course!.
  • clipsychic
    Options
    Great suggestions... I've often wondered the same.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Carbs are sugar, no matter whether they're whole grain or white. But the sugar in the whole grain processes differently in your body and is much better for you.

Really, natural sugars are not the enemy and it's nearly impossible to eat a healthy, balanced diet and come in under MFP's recommendations. They're way low and unrealistic. Sugar has never affected my losses or my health as long as I was eating healthy foods and the right number of calories.

I think you probably shouldn't worry about it -- unless you're diabetic, of course!.

Great summary of the sugar issue! I feel MFP's limits are low as well - I don't usually eat much added sugars - I get it all from fruit and a little dairy (reasonable portions of both) and I still go over most days. I quit tracking it because of that.
  • SkinnyGal08
    SkinnyGal08 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post was having the same issue and needed answers :)