Paleo Eating/Clean eating

Options
13»

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    The paleo diet is just a fad - but it is more than that. You lose weight by making yourself ill. Meat has hormones added, antibiotics and cholesterol.

SRS?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've been "making myself ill" since July 2012. I've wasted away from 235 to 164 during that period. As a terribly ill woman, I lift weights and train with kettlebells 6 days per week. I also walk everywhere.

A side effect of my failing health has been really bizarre--somehow my PCOS symptoms have righted themselves! My hormones are more balanced than they have been in the last 15 years, and that includes during the time I spent being a "really healthy vegetarian/vegan", LOL. Insulin sensitivity has been greatly improved....I was insulin resistant when I started.

I had a bunch of lesser health issues that also vanished with time and continuing to eat this way.

I'm not taking any sort of prescription or OTC meds for any of my conditions--just eating this way and exercising a lot.

Couple things: I have always counted calories. I also don't buy into all the paleo dogma. I don't care about what cavemen may or may not have consumed. I greatly dislike the "Paleo Police" attitudes, the judgmental nature of many people who are attracted to eating this way (vegans have this same demographic), and the evangelising that you run across. This way of eating has worked great for me, but I don't expect anyone/everyone to have the same experience as I have, nor do I think it is important or necessary for anyone else to eat this way.

It certainly isn't necessary to eat according to paleo principles to lose weight.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I wanted to come back and add some more thoughts. Now that I'm done drooling over at that website I liked to (and no, the 'stalker' in my name is no relation to the website...i just happened to stumble across it via pinterest one day and was hooked)

I've recently become very aware of what I refer to as 'industrial farming', the hormones and the antibiotics pumped into the meats we eat. The genetically engineered foods, not just fruits and veggies, but massive salmon, etc. I don't want to babble on like a crazed lunatic, but the point is, I've learned about the process the majority of our food source goes through from the time it is planted/conceived and ends up on our plate and not only did it disgust me, it scared the hell out of me in regards to what I was feeding myself and my family.

About a month ago, I made the switch to supporting my local farmers. I shop farmer's markets for all my produce and meats. My meats come from free-range environments where the cows, pigs, and chickens are allowed to run free over acres and acres of land, eating as nature has intended them to eat- not being force-fed an unnatural diet that makes them ill to the point they need antibiotics in the first place. The milk comes from grass fed cows, as does the butter, as well as the eggs. And did you know different breeds of chickens lay different colored eggs? LOL Nothing like opening the carton to see what looked like giant robin eggs....small for a chicken egg, but blue as can be. So pretty :)

I also stopped buying store-bought munchies. No more cookies full of who knows what. I cook big batches of cookies from ingredients of MY choosing. The kids respect the fact that I put a lot of work into their sweets, so they eat less of them and savor them so much more than just going to the snack cabinet to mindlessly scarf down some Little Debbie garbage.

It's not exactly paleo, as we do still eat grains, but we eat unprocessed/whole grains as much as possible. I've been losing weight without trying, and my mind is more clear than when I was allowing contaminants into my kitchen.

I commend you on your choice of clean/paleo eating, and challenge you to get to know the sources from which your food is coming. Take it one step further and rest assured that the clean route you are taking is truly as clean as can be :D
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    There's always a fad diet. And that's one of them. It has some good in it, like most diets. It's best to just eat a well rounded diet with good fats, like coconut and olive. Eat small portions and lots of good, organic foods.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've recently become very aware of what I refer to as 'industrial farming', the hormones and the antibiotics pumped into the meats we eat.
    The genetically engineered foods, not just fruits and veggies, but massive salmon, etc.

It's good to be aware of these things. Probably even good to be concerned about them. But keep in mind that our Palaeolithic ancestors ate absolute crap quality food. The meat especially was *terrible* - leaner than supermarket beef, sure, but unpreserved and generally of a freshness not much above carrion. Very few of the vegetables and fruits we harvest are even like the natural variants we hybridized them from - a modern carrot is not a Palaeolithic carrot, that's for sure. And scratch milk/dairy entirely - that's a post-Paleo innovation.
    About a month ago, I made the switch to supporting my local farmers.

This is an awesome thing to do, as it strengthens your local community. That to me is already sufficient reason to do it - tomatoes that actually taste good is a nice bonus. :)

Anyway, good luck on your journey! :)
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    generally of a freshness not much above carrion

Mmmmm! Paleo roadkill! LOL Shhh! Some die hard followers might get some ideas.... LOL :D
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I commend you on your choice of clean/paleo eating, and challenge you to get to know the sources from which your food is coming. Take it one step further and rest assured that the clean route you are taking is truly as clean as can be :D

I think this is probably my favourite part of eating paleo. I've discovered how much better locally grown produce really is. And I feel better for supporting them rather than the big evil supermarkets.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

You're losing weight because you're eating less due to the amount of protein you consume, which is known to keep you full. It's basically atkins rehashed with a new name, low carb, high protein.

so, so wrong. most paleo friends on my list eat 1500+ cals.

atkins promotes drinking diet soft drinks and using sugar-free versions of everything. it is nothing like paleo where the general rule is 'if you can't pronounce/recognise the ingredients, don't eat it'
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    'if you cant pronounce/recognise the ingredients, dont eat it' sounds fken stupid.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    so, so wrong. most paleo friends on my list eat 1500+ cals.

"Paleo" does not invalidate the rules of physics. If they're losing weight, they're eating below TDEE. IE, at a caloric deficit.
    atkins promotes drinking diet soft drinks and using sugar-free versions of everything. it is nothing like paleo where the general rule is 'if you can't pronounce/recognise the ingredients, don't eat it'

It's hard to pronounce "aspartame"?
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think that it's great if eating paleo works for you, but personally it strikes me as being a little like chopping off your finger to cure a hangnail. Just about any successful diet is going to involve cutting back on sugar and other processed carbs; Paleo just takes that to an extreme.

It interests me that some people find it easier to give up all wheat/dairy/sugar, full stop, than to learn to work with smaller portions of those things.
  • hkb1972
    Options
    I follow the paleo lifestyle, and I have to say, I feel like a million bucks! The IBS issues that I used to get have disappeared and I've got so much energy!!! I used to be a person that hit the snooze button a good four times before hauling my *kitten* out of bed. This morning, I was WIDE awake and ready to start at 5:30am.

This may sound odd, but I also feel more connected to what I eat now. Everything is fresh, vibrant, and bursting with flavor. When I'm shopping, I pick up the fruit and I can smell the freshness. I never got that feeling buying a box of hamburger helper....that's for sure!!! :)

I'm also much more aware of what I'm eating. Having the weight drop consistently while not feeling hungry at all is a huge plus too!

A great website I use is paleodietlifestyle.com - tons of information there.
  • dmwells3
    dmwells3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am trying this. My primary motivation is that I am hoping a gluten free diet helps my ever-spreading vitiligo and I read that it can. Only time will tell.

I do plan to only eat good meats that are humanely farmed.

It's not all about weight loss for everyone who tries it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Farmed meats are by definition non-Paleo.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Not true, as all meat comes from farms. What is considered Paleo, for those who follow it strictly, is from farms that have grass fed or non commercial feed for their animals and free range. Almost always this is a small family farm and the meat can be found at farmer's markets, co-ops, directly from the farm. Meat from typical feed lots (everyday grocery store meat) is considered non-paleo. Of course it's also a lot cheaper too.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Not true, as all meat comes from farms.

Hunted game is Paleo - farmed meat is not. Cows are not paleo. Pigs are not paleo. Chickens are not paleo. Boar and pheasant and venison, are (more or less).

Anything that comes from a "family farm" is by definition not paleo, because farms are a post-paleo invention, and are in fact the reason the paleo era ended. A pastured cow from a small family farm is every bit as non-paleo as a CAFO-cow. It may (or may not) taste better, but it is every bit as non-paleo.

Let's all eat what we want to eat, but let's also call things what they really are, too.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't recall using the term Paleo, but it's really all just battling semantics. Do people have to live in South Beach to eat the South Beach Diet? You are correct, I am not grabbing a cross bow in suburbia and hunting wild game. I am following an eating plan as definied in a book that happens to have the word paleo in the title. I am also attempting to eat humanely farmed animals, as opposed to those that are factory farmed.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I do a Paleo-ish diet. I completely avoid grains/wheat when I can (at least 90% of the time). I minimize my dairy by drinking almond milk. I do still have cream in my coffee and a small amount of cheese (but I don't eat cheese daily) and a bit of chocolate. And I try to minimize my legumes... Sort-of. I really like hummus with my veggies....

However, I absolutely love it. I'm the thinnest/leanest I've been in my adult life. I feel great. No more bloating/gas (unless I eat bread). And the best part about avoiding pasta, bread, etc. is it forces me to eat better. Instead of just grabbing a bagel for breakfast, I make something. I snack on fruit and veggies instead of crackers. Dinner tends to be meat and veggies. I try to eat free range organic when I can. Uncured bacon, etc.

I was a huge carb-o-holic before so at first I felt a little groggy. That went away after a couple of weeks. When I have a weekend off, btw (like last weekend), it takes a while for my digestion to normalize. So while there's this restaurant I'm going to that serves amazing mac & cheese, I'll probably avoid it. Not because I'm scared of the calories or carbs, but because I really don't want my stomach to feel icky later.

Anyway, I started this diet because I was tired of being hungry. I do count my calories, but I'm rarely if ever hungry on this diet. You can just pack so much more food into the same calories. And fat is satiating in a way carbs never can be. At least for me.
  • m2the2ndPOWER
    m2the2ndPOWER Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with many of the people above who have gone paleo for their own reasons. A paleo style doesn't not equal "low carb" diet. It stresses the importances of where your food comes from, how its raised and produced, and reading labels. Paleo also stresses the importance of good sleep and stress managment.

These are all values that any person who follows a healthy lifestyle should take into consideration.

People look into a paleo lifestyle for many reasons besides weight loss: inflammatory diseases such as Crohns, RA, diabetes, etc. and have been very successful with managing these things. I do not believe this lifestyle to be a "fad" but as more another option and choice for people looking to better themselves in a mental and physical sense.
  • hkb1972
    Options
    Never in my life have I ever eaten the volume of fresh veggies as I do now. I try to have some protein with breakfast, my lunch normally is a huge plate of raw veggies, then more steamed veggies and a lean meat for dinner. I'll throw in a piece of fruit for a snack during the day as well.

Before I switched to this way of living, I was constantly checking if I was under a certain amount of carbs or balancing what I ate to stay under a certain number of calories in a day. Now that I've switched, it all really just falls into place. It's not even a concern now because with the way I'm eating, I'm getting what my body needs...I'm always where I want to be carb-wise and I haven't gone over my calorie restriction. (Mind you, I'm an all or nothing kind of girl....I've completely cut out grains, legumes, and dairy 100%).

I feel the best that I've felt in more years than I can remember! And my skin??? Wow...what a difference! And good-bye IBS!!! I feel so healthy! Love it!!! I can't imagine myself reverting to my old way of eating...no way...not when I feel this great.

I know it's not for everyone, but for me it's been fantastic.