My heart monitor accuracy

Options
Hi guys, I've decided to finally start exercising again in an attempt to get rid of my MOOBS. I got a heart monitor that also tracks calories burned (Timex Personal Trainer) and I've been playing DDR to burn them off. The thing is, my HM is telling me I burned 850 calories in 45 minutes (~1100 calories an hour). I do play on the hardest mode, but even still. This seems insanely high. I weigh 180 pounds, 27 years old, and my height is 5 feet 6 inches. Does this seem plausible?

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Seems a bit high. Does this type of HRM come with a chest strap? If not...get one with a chest strap. I recommend the Polar FT7. I wore mine while getting my HR checked by a trainer, by hand (counting beets per minute taking my pulse through my wrist), and his estimate with in sync with my HRM reading. I also always "eat back exercise calories", and I lose weight consistently.
  • Tarento
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I did forget to mention that; it does come with a chest strap. My chest strap might have been a centimeter higher than where it should be, maybe that could possibly effect it?
  • dannyferris9
    Options
    The height of the strap would not make that much difference you either get a signal or don't.

The amount of calories burnt does seem high although not impossible, however do not treat the data as empirical treat it as a guide to highlight what sort of exercise and intensity gives you the best results.

Enjoy your training, that's the important thing.