Ladies, I need advice on birth control

Options
I am looking for a birth control that will not give me crazy mood swings and most importantly one that will not make me gain weight or make it impossible to keep losing weight. So I am asking for your experiences with different types. Right now I am looking into the Nexplanon arm implant or the smaller Skyla IUD, but I am open to anything else. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I have never had weight issues with my birth control pills. I also have less mood swings and cramps on my low dose pill. If you're worried about hormones, condoms are always a delightful option.

Sometimes it takes a while to find a pill that works for you. If one makes you crazy, then go back to your doctor and try something else. I had to try a few before I found the one that I like.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Different ladies react different to different meds!

I only say this because you will get a lot of responses about what certain ones did for them, but you may not have the same experience. In fact, yours may be opposite of what you read from others.

I personally can't use ANY birth control that has hormones in it because they ALL made me bipolar (not clinically diagnosed, but the mood swings were from hell and like the flip of a switch!) and caused other issues for me like migraines, etc. I considered the copper coil, but that one has issues all of it's own that I didn't want to deal with.

You'll probably just have to try one and see...if it sucks, go back to the OB and change it to another. It sucks, but you can't take one woman's experience and think that you will have the same. I wish we could though!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I use Nuvaring. No mood swings or PMS, and I get to skip a period if I want!
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options

This^^^
    I have used Nuvaring for 7 years and recommend it!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I was on Yas (pills) for years and didn't have any issues with weight gain, mood swings, cramps, etc. I just got off of it a couple of weeks ago and am scheduled to get a copper IUD because I want to stop messing with my hormones. Seeing if it helps to eliminate migraines. Also... Hormonal birth control tends to bring my sex drive down. Plus I'm 32 & smoke, which puts me at risk for blood clots. But as far as BCP, I was happy with Yas.
  • adk7
    adk7 Posts: 15
    Options
    I was on Junel for a while.....I did notice that it made me a little negative, prior to I was like the most optimistic person EVER. But I actually started dieting the same month I started on birth control, I've been on it ever sense and ended up losing around 60 pounds. I fluctuate b/w about 20 pounds, but that is my fault, not the birth controls. I finally got used to the changes in mood. I really think that all birth control gives some kind of ****ty affect, it's just about getting used to it :(
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm on safyral and I love it. No mood swings and I'm losing weight no problem.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I take Tri-Sprintec. It's a pill. No weight gain, no mood swings, it improved my skin health and controls my TOM.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The implants in the arm, makes gain weight and other problems, but if the doctor puts in your muscle you will be so much pain. It all depends on you are structured. I heard that marina is a good birth control.:flowerforyou:
  • meganrpelican
    meganrpelican Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    watch out with the arm implant. I had wanted to get that too, but once I researched it I found that pieces could break off in your arm and need to be surgically removed. the idea that something keeping me from being fertile could get lost in my body was more risk than I was willing to take. I am on seasonique which is delightful bc I don't have to had a period every month.
  • Hjdavenport
    Options

This^^^
    I have used Nuvaring for 7 years and recommend it!

Completely agree!! I have been using Nuva ring for 5 years and still love it. Other birth controls made me put on a lot of weight and the Nuva Ring doesn't.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I take Lyrbel. It's a BC pill which you take non-stop. So, I haven't had a period in 8+ years. I started on it to control the hormone surges that were causing migranes. My weight gain was minimal, I can't blame it on the pill.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I personally use mirena (as I do not like 1. taking a pill every day and 2. the success rate of the pill when not taken at the exact same time every day) and love it. I've lost all of my weight since being on it so it hasn't caused any weight gain for me. my moods are also considerably better now that I do not have a TOM at all anymore. that being said, next time I will probably get the arm implant as insertion was really really painful.

I considered the copper IUD but I personally like hormonal birth control after it cleared up my horrendous acne from a few years back. also, one of the possible side effects is a heavier period which I didn't like. YMMV like another poster said though, so just do your research and have a backup plan if you don't like the first method you choose.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena IUD and have not had any problems with weight gain or mood swings...
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I had nexplanon for almost a year and it sucked. They make it sound like this great thing but what they deemphasize is the amount of bleeding you get from the hormones. I literally had a decent amount of spotting almost everyday I had it. The doc kept saying it can take up to 6 months to stop bleeding. After 8 months of constant bleeding I wanted it out. The doc assured me prolonged constant bleeding happens to almost everyone on it. Personally id rather just have a period once a month. So I convinced my doc to take it out and I still have an ugly scar. Im taking birth control pills and I think they are the best. What alot of ppl dont know is there are different types with different amounts of hormone so you have to find the right one, there arent just different labels like clothes, find what works for you, sorry about the rant, just my 2 cents.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    just get married. they put something in the cake that makes you never want to have sex again. problem solved.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a birth control that will not give me crazy mood swings and most importantly one that will not make me gain weight or make it impossible to keep losing weight. So I am asking for your experiences with different types. Right now I am looking into the Nexplanon arm implant or the smaller Skyla IUD, but I am open to anything else. Thanks in advance!
    I'm getting ready to switch mine right now, due to excessive breakthrough bleeding. I was taking Lo-estren, which seemed to work fine until I had my daughter. Going to try Yaz... but during times when I was not on the pill, I really liked the VCF films. You put 'em in, they melt, you do your thing, and they don't hinder sensation like most condoms. Good luck!
  • aggieanne04
    aggieanne04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was on Ortho TriCyclen (pill with three different dosages) for 10.5 years (brand and generic)- never had a problem. I've been off for almost 3 years trying to start a family, and I have missed the positive parts to them. They always kept me stable, I had shorter/lighter periods, gained/lost weight only due to my eating and activity levels, and I never had acne while taking them. Could skip periods with them! That was a nice perk, too. The generic was $4/month at Walmart. :) Since being off the pill, I found out I had a clotting disorder- but the pills never gave me any issues. I'll never be able to take them again though. Sadness. :(
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I had nexplanon for almost a year and it sucked. They make it sound like this great thing but what they deemphasize is the amount of bleeding you get from the hormones. I literally had a decent amount of spotting almost everyday I had it. The doc kept saying it can take up to 6 months to stop bleeding. After 8 months of constant bleeding I wanted it out. The doc assured me prolonged constant bleeding happens to almost everyone on it. Personally id rather just have a period once a month. So I convinced my doc to take it out and I still have an ugly scar. Im taking birth control pills and I think they are the best. What alot of ppl dont know is there are different types with different amounts of hormone so you have to find the right one, there arent just different labels like clothes, find what works for you, sorry about the rant, just my 2 cents.
    I had a similar problem with the depo shot. What a pain. You're always bleeding, but not enough to use a tampon (and I hate pads)....