WITHDRAWALS

Options
monicastryin
monicastryin Posts: 40 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Good Morning,

Just wondering if you felt sick when you first started eating better. I started back on yesterday and last night I felt sick.
Is this normal?

Replies

• OneThrone
    OneThrone Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Its usually the opposite with me. If I go on a streak of eating healthy and then I indulge in everything bad for me, I love the feeling of eating all the delicious food, but then hours and days later I feel like crap. It often takes me a few days of eating better to start feeling good again.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Nope, because I still eat the same things I always have, just control myself better. What exactly did you change with regard to your eating habits?

Rigger
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Maybe there is something you ate that your body doesn't tolerate well?
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out caffeine or sugar cold turkey? That could do it...
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    nom nom nom nom
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    nom nom nom nom
    QFT
  • jhalton
    Options
    I do believe you can have "withdrawals". These may not be withdrawals in the true clinical meaning of the word, but it can feel like withdrawals. Most are probably psychological but some are physical. The physical withdrawals are common if you cut out a lot of carbs and refined foods. Some call this 'low carb flu". It's common with Paleo dieters. Also, if you introduce probiotics into your diet you can experience "die off" symptoms. This is when the bad bacteria in your gut die off and release toxins that can make you feel pretty bad. I am currently on a GAPS diet to heal some digestive problems I have. So, I have experienced some of the negative detox or "withdrawal" side affects Do some internet research on these terms and figure out what works best for you. Don't give up if you are not feeling well. Your body is likely telling you something. I have a natural health practitioner who is guiding me along. This maybe of help to you. Best of luck and I hope you feel better soon.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you were eating before or are eating now, so I'll just throw some things out that I've experienced. Low blood sugar makes me sick to my stomach, so if you drastically reduced your food intake it could be that, especially if you are used to getting regular carb hits and aren't any more. Dehydration can cause an upset stomach, and for me that can be triggered by reducing caffeine, traveling, exercise, etc. Reducing food intake and changing around macros can cause constipation, which could lead to an upset stomach though maybe not in one day. Dramatically increasing raw foods can also cause a stomach upset until your digestion learns to deal with it.

If you give more details, people may be able to help more specifically.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you were eating before or are eating now, so I'll just throw some things out that I've experienced. Low blood sugar makes me sick to my stomach, so if you drastically reduced your food intake it could be that, especially if you are used to getting regular carb hits and aren't any more. Dehydration can cause an upset stomach, and for me that can be triggered by reducing caffeine, traveling, exercise, etc. Reducing food intake and changing around macros can cause constipation, which could lead to an upset stomach though maybe not in one day. Dramatically increasing raw foods can also cause a stomach upset until your digestion learns to deal with it.

I agree - it could be what you are eating or not eating causing you to feel sick. You should not be feeling physically ill, it is common to feel hungry or deprived until you get used to the reduced food but not physically sick. I would definitely have your blood sugar checked. Also don't try to start a diet dramatically. It is best to ease yourself in, start by cutting back on HOW MUCH you eat - then start replacing WHAT you eat with healthier foods. If you add too many new foods at once you may not know which one(s) are causing you to feel sick. There are many things your body has to adjust to an increase of such as fiber - if you go from little fiber to a full serving of fiber overnight you will most likely suffer severe stomach cramps. Same goes for many other types of foods.
  • BelleVegan77
    BelleVegan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I totally go through withdrawls from my favorite junk and sometimes yeah I would feel a little gross or sick in the tummy, head aches aches and pains it is awful but it passes.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    lower blood sugar can make you feel a little nauseous. this can be a result of either you suddenly cutting down on the amount of quick carbs you're eating and/or a sudden drop in calories.

it has happened to me before. 90% of the time i'm just maintaining, but there are times my weight creeps up by 5 pounds, either around the holidays or i just slightly slack off for a month or two, and when i'm doing the first day of "being back on my diet", i have experienced a little nausea before.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If it persists, you'll probably want to speak with your doc, but my guess is that it's just your body adjusting. I had a few brief times like that very early on, but nothing that lasted very long after eating and only two or three times. Blood sugar, gut flora, fiber? I don't know, but it passed.

Everything is fine now - the only thing I'm still trying to adjust to is these unexpected cravings for things like spaghetti squash and beets! It's like now that I've been giving my body healthier things it wants to make sure I wasn't kidding! lol
  • bexachex
    bexachex Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hmm.. I didn't feel sick, but man....I was CRAVING a cheeseburger or something.
  • monicastryin
    monicastryin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses. I drastically dropped my sugar, fat, sodium and calories. I don't know if it was the packet of powdered 5 calorie fruit drink or the fact that I was eating junk all day like I normally would have.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I don't know either - but I hope that you mean you're feeling better now.

Looking forward to seeing you around and watching you hit your goals. :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.