I know this has been addressed before but......

Options
This is my first time posting but I am at a loss as to what to do. I have been seriously working on weight loss since July 1. The first six weeks I lost 20 pounds and was stoked! Now, nothing for three weeks straight :sad: . I have a history of getting discouraged and I don't want to this time. I would like suggestions, tips, any kind of advice if I am missing something! My goal is 100 pounds by April 2014 I am okay if I just hit close to that, but stuck at a 20 pound loss-um, no.

Not sure if my diary is public so if you can't see it let me know! And thank you for any help you can provide :smile:

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Going back through your diary in August you appear to be eating very low net calories. To the point of eating less than you burn in exercise some days. Is that accurate? You can get away with that for a little while when you're very overweight, but it sounds like maybe it's catching up with you.

It might be time to start actually hitting your calorie goals and give your body a break from the stress you've been putting on it.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    This isn't a tv show.

Log accurately, eat accordingly, move more, and have patience.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Going back through your diary in August you appear to be eating very low net calories. To the point of eating less than you burn in exercise some days. Is that accurate? You can get away with that for a little while when you're very overweight, but it sounds like maybe it's catching up with you.

It might be time to start actually hitting your calorie goals and give your body a break from the stress you've been putting on it.
    Starvation Mode: ACTIVATE
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree.

Eat food. Log it. Watch the calories, but fuel your body. It likes food! :)

Stick with it and give it time to work. We'll still be here, too.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I only looked at a week or so back, but your logging is really inconsistent. I can relate to that. That could lead to all sorts of potential problems. You could be eating too little, or you could be underestimating how much you're eating.

1) Log consistently and accurately

2) Focus on living your life. Losing weight is not your job, so don't act like a disappointed manager when you don't hit your metrics

3) Weigh yourself 1/month and take measurements.

And if you care about body composition instead of just weight loss, some increased protein and resistance training might help.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    You haven't been logging consistently, so start. Also, it might benefit you to eat back some of your exercise calories. Some days you logged only 700 calories which is way too low.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This isn't a tv show.

Log accurately, eat accordingly, move more, and have patience.

Perfect.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Ditto previous posts. We all want to lose it fast but it can backfire on you if you don't eat enough. Slow and steady wins the race. It will be very difficult to eat that way for long periods of time and you are more likely to binge and give up if you're hungry all the time. Eating more will help you stick with it. I know this is probably not what you want to hear. Many of us had that excitement about hitting it hard and getting the weight off fast at first. Fortunately, many of us have figured out what works and have switched from the hare role to the tortoise role. Trust us. We want you to be healthy and reach your goal.
  • dressandtights
    dressandtights Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I personally needed to hear... thank you!
  • dressandtights
    dressandtights Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ditto previous posts. We all want to lose it fast but it can backfire on you if you don't eat enough. Slow and steady wins the race. It will be very difficult to eat that way for long periods of time and you are more likely to binge and give up if you're hungry all the time. Eating more will help you stick with it. I know this is probably not what you want to hear. Many of us had that excitement about hitting it hard and getting the weight off fast at first. Fortunately, many of us have figured out what works and have switched from the hare role to the tortoise role. Trust us. We want you to be healthy and reach your goal.

I meant ^ this is exactly what I needed to hear ;)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Some months you lose 20 pounds, some you struggle to lose 1. A lot of things can contribute to it, so you have to be patient.

Make sure your calorie goal is appropriate. Don't make it too low, you'll burn out and give up (and I have known quite a few people who lose better at a slightly higher daily calorie intake … I don't buy into "starvation mode" but I've seen results from upping calories 200-300 a day). And then, eat the calories your allotted. Also make sure that your new eating plan is something you can stick with long term. This isn't a drastic change till you're there and then go back to old habits. This is a permanent lifestyle change (assuming you want to keep the weight off :tongue:)

Make sure you are logging everything correctly. This is usually the culprit when someone stops losing. Grabbing a few chips as you go past, a cookie as you're serving the kids, a handful of grapes from the fridge, etc, and forgetting to log can add up, so make sure you count everything (including liquids!!). Make sure you're measuring correctly. I'll be the first to admit I'm lazy about measuring (you get used to what it looks like after a while), but if I stop progressing, I know that is the first thing I need to look at.

Eat back at least part of your exercise calories, but be careful of overestimating how many you get. Change up your exercise regularly to keep from getting bored and to keep your body from adapting too much (i.e. when walking for 30 min at 3 miles per hour is easy, you need to increase time or speed - I vote for speed - to get the same effects as when it was hard).

Take measurements - body fat % and circumference at waist, chest, hips, etc. Take before pictures. Many times the scale doesn't show our true results. Judge your success on decreased bf%, inches lost, looking better, and increased performance. And remember, you're healthier by trying, even if you fall short of your goals, than by not. If you quit today and went back to your old lifestyle, you'd probably gain back those 20 pounds and lose any other gains you've made.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Great advice Chev :smile:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    This is my first time posting but I am at a loss as to what to do. I have been seriously working on weight loss since July 1. The first six weeks I lost 20 pounds and was stoked! Now, nothing for three weeks straight :sad: . I have a history of getting discouraged and I don't want to this time. I would like suggestions, tips, any kind of advice if I am missing something! My goal is 100 pounds by April 2014 I am okay if I just hit close to that, but stuck at a 20 pound loss-um, no.

Not sure if my diary is public so if you can't see it let me know! And thank you for any help you can provide :smile:

Maybe if you were a bit more disciplined with logging and really check what you eat and look honestly at your exercise so you can find the source of you not losing, might help you to get going again. You eat a lot of processed food ( which is ok for weight loss , but keeps many people often hungry ) which does not sustain the supposedly large periods of exercise ( do you really walk two or more hours each day carrying a 15-pound load or infant, or do you just guess ? ). You need to be honest and accurate to be able to figure out a plan in regard to diet and exercise that will allow you to lose weight and also stay or become healthy.
    Good Luck !
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Thanks, dressandtights and Sue. :smile:
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options

Starvation Mode: ACTIVATE

Oh wow. They have less than 4% body fat huh?
  • Mamaharm2
    Mamaharm2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes everything in my diary is accurate, obviously because there are days where I have logged the crummy food. It is all honest and up front- not sure why I would lie then ask for help?

Thank you so much to those that offered constructive input, I so appreciate it.

To others, well it has been confirmed as to my reason for not posting in forum.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I just went back to Monday in your diary and see nothing logged except for this morning. That is your problem right there.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    To others, well it has been confirmed as to my reason for not posting in forum.

In regard to the quoted statement, this might sound a tiny bit harsh for which I apologize ahead of time...but simmer down. Don't go getting worked up when there's no cause to; it's not going to make you feel any better. This thread has actually been quite constructive compared to similar sorts of posts. You should feel good about that :)

And I'm not really sure you can say that everything in your diary is accurate when you have several empty days. Unless you really didn't eat on those days. The inconsistent logging makes one question what else is inconsistent about how you track things, and I think that's a pretty valid concern.

Be well.
  • GCanha
    GCanha Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree- I went through your food diary as well. You are not regularly logging your food- and when you do- you are WAY under your caloric intake goals. Your body needs fuel in order to burn fat, and it doesn't seem you're getting enough. I can usually feel it if I eat less than 1200 calories throughout the day- there's a gnawing in my stomach that reminds me that my body needs more!

I also noticed the types of food you're eating. Yes- I love PB&J too- but you can put it on light whole wheat- with reduced fat peanut butter and sugar free jelly- that will save you a ton of calories! And make sure you're serving/portion sizes are correct.

You can eat whatever you like- in moderation and finding better options! It's a balancing act!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My 10 steps to success...

1) consitency
    2) consistency
    3) consistency
    4) consistency
    5) consistency
    6) patience
    7) patience
    8) patience