Weight Loss Plateau help - found this 'help' online

Options
Found this on ehow about weight plateaus:

:-

As your body begins to lose fat and lean tissue, the body compensates by slowing the metabolism. This means you begin to burn calories for energy at a slower rate. As a result, your body creates a balance in which you are burning and storing calories at an equal rate. This results in a stall in your weight loss, or a plateau.

Time to Assess

A weight loss plateau means the weight loss method that worked so well in the beginning of your program will no longer provide results. You can maintain your current weight loss, but you will not continue to lose additional weight. Accordingly, if you have reached your goal, there is no need to change your current weight loss program. However, if you wish to lose more weight, the only way to overcome a weight loss plateau is to change your weight loss method.

Overcoming a Plateau
To overcome a weight loss plateau, you must further decrease your calorie intake or increase your activity level. If you decide to reduce your calories, take an inventory of your current diet and shave off an additional 200 calories. Do so only if this will not leave you with a less than 1,200 calorie intake per day. If you decide to increase your activity level, you can increase the time you spend working out by an additional 15 to 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can increase the intensity of your workout by running faster, adding additional weight to resistance workouts or adding weights to your cardio. You can also combine eating fewer calories with an increased activity level. No matter what your choice, the key is to constantly revamp your program to keep you body guessing and losing weight.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_7844711_causes-plateau-dieting.html#ixzz2dwHyuDYS

This plateau carry on is sooo confusing!! some people say I need to eat MORE...and this site says I need to eat LESS!! If I listened to this site I'd be back to eating at 1200 cals/day :( not something that is sustainable but it is something that I COULD do temporarily??

Anyone have any thoughts on this?? I know theres a lot of this subject on the forums but I'd appreciate comments regardless.

Thanks in advance.

Ruth

Replies

• blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was on a plateau for over 8 weeks, after losing 40 lbs, and I did all of the research too. I tried several different methods to break out including reviewing my calories to make sure they weren't creeping up, increasing intensity of workouts, increasing frequency of workouts, cycling calories, etc. Nothing seemed to work and I was getting a bit frustrated, but I read an article that basically said you can be doing everything "right" and you may still experience a plateau as the body's way of resetting itself after a certain amount of weight lost. I understand that most people experience this at some point in their journey and it's pretty natural. I just tried to be patient and focused on how I felt more than what the scale showed. The patience paid off and I finally lost another couple of pounds, but it took time. I will say that I noticed during the plateau that my body composition changed a bit. Some of the loose skin tightened up under my arms, on my inner thighs, and on my tummy. I didn't really lose inches but I saw definition where there was none before. So I saw it as a positive rather than a negative!! Good luck on your journey!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. What you're saying makes sense and gives me hope :) I can agree with what you're saying about skin tightening up, my arms especially, they look pretty toned and I'm pretty proud of them! My legs, well wow I have such muscley and yes even wonderful legs these days, I almost wish I was young enough to flaunt em in short skirts LOL. I'm not having inch loss either but I can see I look better, all great NSV's for sure...I guess I just need to be patient and wait on my body adjusting itself. I have 7lbs I still want to lose, its not much and I know I could be happy at this current weight. However I just know those extra few pounds will make a difference to my waistline/love handles cos that's the only part of me now that I'm not happy about.

Thanks again. I'll keep on doing what I'm doing, change things around some more, maybe try and go with less carbs for a few weeks. Or maybe even keeping going with the 30 day shred and hopefully that will be enough to kick start my losing once more.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    Overcoming a Plateau
    To overcome a weight loss plateau, you must further decrease your calorie intake or increase your activity level
    LOL. Way to go out on a limb with that advice ehow!

I think plateau's are normal and that there is something to the idea of your weight loss resetting. What works, as far as restarting weight loss, is probably somewhat individual, but I think there might be a benefit of eating at maintenence for a short time and letting the body get used to things. I'm not saying I have science to back that up, though. I would love to see some research on this idea...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Its figuring out what IS maintenance LOL
    I have worked out TDEE but different calulations give me varying results!! there is as much as a 400 cal difference! I guess for me it'll be trial and error til I do find something that works for me. I will probably up my cals to 1500 soon (I see friends on here similar height to me but less active lose eating at 1600)

Thanks for your reply Shanna :)
  • vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I lost weight pretty rapidly when I started in January. June 14th marked my 25 pound milestone. Since then I have only lost 5. I'm nowhere near my goal weight as I still have over 40 pounds to lose. I'm 44 and went from an 18/20 to a tight 12 and from a 2X to a Large top.

The scale plays games with me and it laughs at me behind my back like a cruel kid on a playground. I feel that I've pretty much been on a plateau since June only because of how much the weight loss has slowed down. This plus I haven't had a loss again in over three weeks.

Now with that said, I have lost 30 pounds. I'm "just about" a size twelve again squeezing my hiney into some "larger" versions and my blood pressure went from 145 over 101 as of my physical last year to 108 over 70 as of my physical this year. So my heart and body are definitely healthier.

Am I frustrated? Yes. Enough to quit and drive to Burger KIng? No

I'm praying that my body is resetting after the big loss and that whole theory isn't a bunch of horse hockey. I work out 5 days a week running and cycling. I lift weights 3 times a week. My body is tighter and I get tons of compliments.

These are the things I've tried to do to break the plateau.

- I've upped my calories to 1822 a day. (My TDEE - 500 calories) from 1400 per day. Sometimes going over on days I'm super hungry. My workouts burn between 600 and 700 calories a day so I do have some wiggle room.

- I've intensified my workouts to the point I was riding the bike at the gym over 13 miles a day. I've since stopped that choosing to jog instead although I still cycle when my hip is bothering me. (God, I sound old!)

- I've "not focused so much on the scale" for oh... maybe... 5 to 10... ya know... minutes. I'm a scale hound so I have to really try to stay off and focus more on how I feel and how my clothes fit.

So as you can see, none of these things have worked. My weight fluctuates sometimes 3-4 pounds per day and I still can't seem to break 200.

I wish I had these wonderful words of wisdom to say "Hey! Do this and like magic you're plateau will be broken!" but I can't.

What I can say is to think about all of the things you can do now that you couldn't do before. All the clothes that fit now that didn't fit before. Remember that you're next birthday, wedding, graduation or big event will come whether you continue to eat healthy and workout or not. Wouldn't it be wonderful for that to come and you to walk in there feeling great about yourself that you are consistent than to walk in feeling like a failure. I don't think anyone is a failure but I've sure felt like one from time to time.

I will continue to eat healthy, workout and be consistent. I can't imagine that this plateau could last forever so at some point, maybe I'll get on the scale and see that wonderful 199 staring back at me.

A girl can dream.
  • PCarrizosa
    Options
    I'm stuck at 162 pounds after losing 10 pounds. I do more exercise and reduced my caloric intake, but I can't get below 162 pounds. My goal is to reach 150-155 pounds.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    thank you @vcancel for your reply. I have no intention of giving up, I feel way too good and I KNOW I look good! :) we just have this notion that we need to be X pounds to be happy! hmmm!! Yesterday I received an online order for new jeans and trousers - I slipped easily into both which were UK size 10s!! I've never been a 10 in all my adult life, not until May this year! I still can't quite get my head round that! the workouts are paying off and I'm enjoying seeing muscle tone in my limbs. I'll keep on going, I'll see what the 30 day shred does for me this time round as its more high impact than I have been doing and hopefully I'll break through this plateau.

(ps already on the Shred I have lost 1/4" off my waist - in 3 days!! I am using heavy dumbells though (10kg each)

All the best to you peeps as well, keep up the great work and we WILL get there :)
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this since January and along the way I've had two stalls that both lasted six weeks. After the first six weeks, i bought a food scale and started weighing (almost) everything. After that, the scale began to move again. Yep, I was eating more than I thought I was.

After the second six weeks, I got meticulous about weighing everthing, even things that were labeled with portion size and calorie count. Now, with vegetables and other low calorie food, it doesn't matter a whole lot if the serving size is a little over. We're not talking about a significant number of calories. But did you know that the typical Famous Recipe crispy breast is almost twice the size listed on the website? Hence, twice the calories! And those yummy, crunchy pieces of heaven are pretty calorific to begin with!

I also started using a Body Media Fit and exercising more regularly. And I added "lifting." I say "lifting" because right now I can't lift a whole lot. But I am improving and increasing the weight gradually.

And the scale started moving once again. So again, underestimating calories and not moving enough.

I will say that during the second six week stall, I was losing inches. And I do believe that the "woosh effect" is part of what happens during a plateau or stall.

I think patience and perseverance are the keys to weight loss.
  • vcancel
    Options
    Just to add on to my previous post since jadetheif made some great points...

I've weighed and measured everything I've put in my mouth since January 1st. I've always been very honest with myself (otherwise what's the point?)

I used the BodyMedia Fit armband for the first 6 months until it stopped calculating my burned calories properly and it was throwing me off.

Since then was when I trying changing things up a few times including more intense workouts, calorie changes, etc.

I'm going to stick with my TDEE-500 calories (1822 a day) for a few more weeks and see what happens. :)

I'm having another issue that I noticed today. I'm feeling very flabby again.

Why?????????????????????????????????????????????

Is this the fat breaking down and getting ready to be flushed?

If not, please just lie to me... LOL
  • vcancel
    Options
    I think I might make that a separate post topic as to not hijack this one... :)
  • LoriA115
    LoriA115 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Someone else just posted on a separate thread about finally busting through a plateau by consistently drinking and upping their water intake. I'm going to give this a try and my water drinking has not been great recently. I have been sort of stuck since June...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    thanks all for your comments, all are much appreciated.
    I've been on MFP for 15 months and I do weigh/measure my food so I am sure its not my portions, if anything I am inclined to overestimate so I don't feel I've even eaten my full allowance each day. On the days I'm hungry though then I do eat em all.
    From what I'm gathering its not unusual to have a plateau for a few months, the longest I had one before was 3 weeks. I'm currently on week 5 seeing only ups, nothing major but still gains all the same.
    I can only hope with changing my workout that will do something and then my next tactic is to up my cals, I think!
    My measurements were also staying the same until today, 1/4" off my waist today - on day 3 of the 30 Day Shred, so at least something positive is happening :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I broke a plateau by taking a 3 week total diet break. Ate at TDEE for a while. I think a prolonged deficit slowed my metabolism. When I returned to deficit the scale started moving again, albeit slowly.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @acpgee - that's a great idea and I had been thinking of doing that, or in my case easing up on the cardio just for a few weeks :)
  • victorquinones
    Options
    I've lost a bit of weight in a very fast period of time. I enjoy playing with different types of diets to break plateaus and to see what works better for my body. I know that everyone says calories in calories out is all that matters and I found that to be false. For some reason your body adapts well to lowering calories and there is a point I refuse to lower even more. I started playing with carbs and carb cycling and keto diets and every other diet out there. It's just what works for you and what keeps your body guessing. Keep you calories at a sustainable level and play with your macros. My body is very sensitive to carbs so I have to carb cycle and keep HIIT workouts in order to keep at a 4-6 lb a week weight lose. I know some of you are like that's unhealthy blah blah blah. It's not unhealthy and I don't have loose skin and I have lost about 60 lbs total with 20 more to go. So don't worry about plateaus and take weekly pictures and compare. Do body fat% and not lbs and just look at your pics from 3 weeks ago and see the difference. Maybe a plateau in your mind isn't really a plateau just your body changing in other ways that the scale doesn't show.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    First let's define a plateau- 6 weeks or more of no weight loss IF one has been consistent with intake and exercise. If one has "cheated" or "had a day off", then that person has broken the 6 week application to a plateau.

If it's under 6 weeks, then it's a stall. Stalls happen all the time and are not uncommon because weight loss isn't linear.

90% of the time people don't see results is because they are winging it, not counting accurately, not counting activity correctly, or flat out not being honest with themselves and staying undisciplined.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ushie2611
    ushie2611 Posts: 8
    Options
    i know this is late to join this tread but i stumbled upon it aftersome late night research and thought you would like to hear about my 13 month plateau and how i got through it...so long story short...lost 2 stone in 7 months calorie counting and eating low carb then put on a few pounds on holiday as was eating bread cake etc...needless to say 3 of the 4 pounds came off when resumed normal calorie restriction again..but the last pound didnt and there i stayed from aug 2012 until october 2013..now thats either a very long plateau or "maintenance " even though i was eating clean BUT i had stopped exercising..just dog walking but my 30 day shred went out the window...not sure why? i just kinds gave up and had a few personal problems at home...anyway xmas came and went never lost a pound nor did i put on a pound...diet was still clean..activity level was rubbish..then Jan 2014 i decided thats it...im sick of staying at the same weight...if i dont win this battle now this is my weight for the rest of my life...im a 5.3 43 year old..time to change...i started 30 day shred 3 days a week...went low carb again but the one thing i realised was that eating so low (1000) cals and no exercise had slowed my metabolism to a crawl...what changed everything was reading jillian michaels "master your metabolism" i realised i wasnt eating enough or often enough..and my metabolism had adjusted to that...so now its 5 small meals or 3 meals 2 snacks..i eat every 2.5 to 3 hours...still low carb abut ,moderate fat so il eat an apple with peanut butter foe a snack say then a chicken salad with avocado for dinner etc..ive knocked alcohol on the head and bam..the pounds started coming off ....now its July 2014....i do les mills combat everyday except sunday...i eat when im supposed to eat and ive lost another 5 pounds since june...all because im fuelling my body for workouts and tve lost two inches from my tummy...most of all i feel amazing and energetic...i have 4 more stone to go..but after a year of staying the same i think ive cracked it...by not going lower on my cals...go too low and you wont have the energy or motivation i just wish i had eaten more and worked out more a year ago but hey ...ive got it sussed now :)
  • 2thesexydress
    2thesexydress Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @vcancel Absolutely love how you written that post, I can relate to getting past the 200. Have you now done it?x
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My body seems to work like this: lose rapidly, slow down, stall. Repeat. I started in April, my first stall was in June, and it lasted 4 weeks. The second stall started mid-August and just ended (6 weeks). So around two months of steady loss, I stop. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, I think my body is just adjusting. I generally don't change anything I'm doing. I'm a very careful logger and I'm moderately active.

Weight loss isn't ever going to be a straight line. And I really think that success is measured not when the scale drops, but when you keep going in spite of the scale not dropping (or going up even).

This is, of course, my personal experience. I know how frustrating stalls are, but if you keep doing what you're doing, (IMO) they will pass.
  • 2thesexydress
    2thesexydress Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @jadethief thanks for the tip about weighing scales. A must by for me. I keep getting to the 20lb mark then putting weight back on then back to 20lb. So all advice is great help from all the posters here. X