Courgette (zucchini) glut please help with recipies!

Options
albionjen
albionjen Posts: 86 Member
So, I have a massive glut of courgettes in the fridge and the plants in my vegetable patch still producing about 5 courgette per week! I really need some new recipies to help use them up. The ones I have tried so far are:
- courgette salad (thinly sliced courgette with dressing)
- courgette loaf
- courgette "lasagne" (replace pasta with courgettes)
- ratatouille

Anyone have any good recipies to share! Sweet or savoury both welcome. I follow a IIFYM approach so no need to avoid any particular ingredients.

P.S. if anyone wants to know the above recipes just say and I will add them.

Replies

• 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I made something similar to this, only much simpler: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/sausage-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html

Cut the zucchinis length-wise, scooped out some of the interior to make little boats, then filled with pasta meat sauce. Top with the cheese of your choice. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.

The sauce is really the star, so make sure you use one that you love. This is my favorite sauce: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Worlds-Best-Lasagna/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=world's best&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page I use chicken sausage instead of pork sausage to cut some of the fat.

If you are looking for more, I strongly recommend http://www.skinnytaste.com/ . Just do a site search for zucchini -- she's got loads of delicious recipes.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I take me excess zucchini, shred it, push out as much water as you can, lay it on a sheet of freezer wrap on a cookie sheet and freeze for an hour or so. Then you can scoop it off the freezer paper and put into freezer bags or freezer containers and have fresh zucchini all winter long. Then you don't have to eat it all at once.

BTW - I add zucchini to every soup, casserole, or anything like that as filler. I find that it takes on the flavor of whatever I cook it with.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, I will definitely have a go with the zucchini boats. Sounds really tasty :)

Unfortunately I don't have a freezer, so can't save it for winter :( but I made some soup for lunch today and used up a couple. Only have three left inthe fridge now, but haven't checked the plants again yet :)

Thanks again!
  • rfihn
    rfihn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like to take zucchini and squash or eggplant and cut them into chunks and saute them for a bit with a little oil along with some onion & garlic. Once they are semi cooked add a can of diced tomatoes along with basil, oregano, italian spices and a bay leaf. Let that simmer for a while and you have a really yummy & healthy vegetarian red sauce. You can do anything with it, I like to put it on little slices of polenta with goat cheese. I have also put it on whole wheat pasta and that was great.
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I make a vegetable frittata - 200 g natural yoghurt mixed with 6 beaten eggs (or egg white) and then mixed through whichever vegetables I have which usually includes grated zucchini. I add an entire 8 inch zucchini plus other veg. Bake at 200C for 45 mins, or 30 mins if baked in muffin tins.
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I just found this on another thread and thought it looked good -

Healthy Zucchini Brownies

Prep Time: 10 min
    Cook Time: 35 min
    Ready in: 45 min
    Yield: 16 brownies

Ingredients

2 eggs
    1 tbsp vanilla extract
    ¾ cup coconut sugar or unrefined or granulated sugar
    ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened applesauce
    1 cup (125 grams) whole spelt or whole wheat flour
    ½ cup (45 grams) Dutch-process cocoa powder
    1½ teaspoons baking soda
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    2 cups (about 300 – 320 grams) peeled and grated zucchini
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + ½ cup mini chocolate chips to sprinkle on top (for dairy-free, use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips)
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C) and line an 8"x8" pan with parchment paper or spray with baking spray.
    In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla, coconut sugar, and apple sauce and let this sit for 5 minutes to let the coconut sugar dissolve.
    In a separate medium bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder (sifted if lumpy!), baking soda and salt. Make sure there are no clumps before going on to the next step.
    Add the dry mix to the wet, gently stir until combined. Be sure not to over mix!
    Then fold in the zucchini and 1 cup chocolate chips.
    Pour the batter into the pan and even the surface with a spatula.
    Sprinkle ½ cup mini chocolate chips on top.
    Bake for 30 - 35 minutes (14 minutes for the half batch) or until a toothpick inserted in the middle doesn't come out gooey. It might still be sticky - just not have raw batter on it.
    Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature or up to one week in the refrigerator. I recommend storing them in the refrigerator right from the beginning due to their high moisture content.

Adapted from– The Baltic Maid
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Courgette and pea soup with creme fraiche.
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sorry no recipe, i usually improvise most of my cooking.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I peel it into risotto. Just use a potato peeler and peel it top to bottom. It goes all soft and melty. Lovely.

Also google Hugh fearnley-whittingstall's courgette polpettes. Cheesy yumminess.