Walking the dog

Options

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    If I 'walked' at the pace my german shepherd wanted to I would definitely be burning some serious calories worth logging. And if we had hills? Most definitely.
    RIght?! My 45 pound boxer could pull me to the ground if I wasn't paying attention on our walks. And she's petite!
    Haha oh yeah, that's what my 5 month old hyper baby weighs so I can relate! I don't personally log my walks with her, but I feel like I live outside with the amount of walking/running around we do so maybe I should.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I log it... I go anywhere from 2.5-5k with him... that's 25-60 minutes, you're damn right I log it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Then you must really dislike me. I wear a bodymedia armband that tracks my activity level & calories burned all day long. Including walking the dog for 10 minutes or less and such mundane tasks as doing laundry & washing dishes. It's ridiculous to think that any kind of activity really does burn more calories than sitting on the couch. I suppose I really need to reconsider this-I'll never lose weight if I keep going like this.

PS-walking my 100 lb demon spawn puppy is actually a pretty decent full body workout. She's just freaking nuts.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Walking the dog is exercise
    your calculations are way off
  • melindafritz1976
    Options
    its 10 minutes for 46 cals
    and that is exercise so
  • melindafritz1976
    Options
    anyways worry about u
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    the only exercise I get now is walking per doctors orders and I have lost over 130 pounds so far. Could not walk to the end of the drive when I started and now do 2-3 miles a day. I encourage all the new ones especially the older to start walking small and work their up so they don't hurt themselves> we all have to progress at our own pace so leave others alone buttercup and mind your own business.:angry:
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    If you bother to look at the exercise database "Walking - moderate pace 3.0 mph, walking the dog" is there. I believe that that is what Mike et al have determined you would be walking at, whether the dog is involved or not.

As long as what you're doing is working for you - why does it matter what other people log? Is it hurting you or just offending you?

Stop judging others lest you be judged...
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Wonder how many of her FL peeps have deleted her because they "walk their dog"
  • allylbrown
    Options
    My dogs walk very briskly, maybe you should get a dog and try it...I use it for cross training to a my marathon training.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Probably already set at a huge deficit. Not going to matter if they eat those 30 calories. Exercise is exercise, quit judging you Judgy McJudgerson.

ETA:
    tumblr_inline_mouak50min1qz4rgp.gif?w=698

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.”- Miss Piggy speaks for me.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Light cleaning in a sexy maid outfit = 200 calories
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    YIKES. Is it horrible to say that I am really really really glad that we are NOT friends on here??? Cuz, if it is... guess I'm pretty horrible. :huh:
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i very much disagree with you walking the dog for 10 minutes does burn calories, it is better than sitting down and not walking the dog
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I guess OP just doesn't have a dog - she can borrow mine. But hang on, she is notably absent from the posts......
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your rage! I can't stand seeing people post stuff about how they burned 200 calories lifting weights, or 322 calories on the elliptical. People, you're not here to get off your butt and move more, you're here to lose weight! :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog 2-3 miles a day, both morning and night. On a good day, I can burn up to 800-1000 calories. Damn right I'm logging it and I'm eating it!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're actually supposed to eat your exercise calories back. And she might actually be burning a lot more than 30 calories if she's going fast enough in 10 minutes.

Eating less than calories burned doesn't mean you don't eat back your exercise calories, it means you eat less calories than you burn in the whole day. That means eating less than your TDEE. MFP already includes a deficit in your calorie goal so that you will accomplish this even when you eat back your exercise calories. In fact, if you don't eat your exercise calories back, you may do more harm than good.

Do a little research before you judge what other people do.

no- you are only supposed to eat it back if you aren't accounting for it already.

I log certain amounts of walking- where I'm specifically WALKING- like- amusement park- or I'm walking to walk after a big meal (mostly to make me feel better LOL) or where I'm walking for work to review a street/project. But walking in the mall to go shopping? no I don't log that- but I am set at sedentary- if I was set at light/mod activity- I wouldn't log it.

You only eat back if you aren't accounting for it already.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is why some ppl are having a hissy fit over what other ppl choose to log? Why does it both you so much that you have to make a post about it? Seriously...
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I think your rant burned at least 7.2 calories, OP. :drinker: WTG!
This discussion has been closed.