NO gimmicks or diet pills and I'm losing weight?! what? 0_o

Options
So I don't know if this is technically a success story but thought this might be the right area to post this. I have been a crazy yo yo dieter in the past. I've done ever fad and every diet craze there was. I even did the HCG diet where you start off with 500 calories a day for a few weeks and take the expensive supplement drops (it was like $150 for each bottle!). I did the hydroxycut thingy for women and hated the way that it made me feel jittery and so I stopped taking those. I did shots of apple cider vinegar 30 minutes before eating (can I just say EW! WORST THING EVER lol). Finally I decided that the gimmicks DON'T WORK... at least not permanently. I needed something realistic that I can maintain even after I reach my goal weight. I knew it was going to be hard to lose weight without any miracle pill or drops but that's the challenge I wanted to take.

I am happy to say that I have already lost close to 20 pounds doing nothing but eating healthy fresh foods and increasing my activity/exercise level to a more reasonable and achievable level. Been going at it for almost a month and a half so this is no where near the end for me but it is nice to know that I can get incredible results just by doing this the right way! It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change that I am happily embracing.

Replies

• iamhyclass
    Options
    great job!
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • Enic03
    Enic03 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Awesome job for being one of the smart ones when it comes to weight loss! :)

I don't understand why people spend their money on pills or anything that claims to make you lose weight. Calories in vs calories out and I don't think a lot of people understand the simplicity of it. Wonderful loss by the way!
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That's great, WTG!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    JUMPFORJOY.jpg

Glad you figured it out ...... congrats on the weight loss ...... and keep on truckin' !
  • heatherdl2013
    Options
    Awesome job for being one of the smart ones when it comes to weight loss! :)

I don't understand why people spend their money on pills or anything that claims to make you lose weight. Calories in vs calories out and I don't think a lot of people understand the simplicity of it. Wonderful loss by the way!

I personally think it has to deal with the allure of getting thin as soon as possible. When you have a ton of weight to lose (in my case it is 80 pounds) it can seem daunting to just do it the "hard" way with appropriate diet and exercise. I felt like if I did it naturally that it would take forever to do and wouldn't work. So I would try everything else. Been on a diet even when I was younger and everyone would say oh it is just baby fat lol Well I'm 22 and it isn't baby fat anymore.

I get the appeal of wanting to spend money on a miracle pill, but it is so much more rewarding knowing that the only miracle causing this weight loss is ME :)
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Same for me! Nothing has worked except just tracking what I'm eating and exercising. And I'm happier! Good for you and keep it up!
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    "I am happy to say that I have already lost close to 20 pounds doing nothing but eating healthy fresh foods and increasing my activity/exercise level to a more reasonable and achievable level. Been going at it for almost a month and a half so this is no where near the end for me but it is nice to know that I can get incredible results just by doing this the right way! It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change that I am happily embracing"

You lost 20 lbs in 1 1/2 months? That is a rapid weight loss, too fast can set you up for failure later. Be careful, but good job on learning to eat well and starting to exercise, that is awesome.
  • Glndgd63
    Glndgd63 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great results ! I am only about 1/2 way to your loss, but I am happy with my results. I am partially handicapped, so exercise in general is difficult at best for me. Slow and steady, maybe it will stay off that way.
  • heatherdl2013
    Options
    "I am happy to say that I have already lost close to 20 pounds doing nothing but eating healthy fresh foods and increasing my activity/exercise level to a more reasonable and achievable level. Been going at it for almost a month and a half so this is no where near the end for me but it is nice to know that I can get incredible results just by doing this the right way! It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change that I am happily embracing"

You lost 20 lbs in 1 1/2 months? That is a rapid weight loss, too fast can set you up for failure later. Be careful, but good job on learning to eat well and starting to exercise, that is awesome.

I'm definitely not starving myself or overdoing it with working out. I had a lot of weight to lose and for a very long time I would just lay on my bed for sometimes the whole day (mostly because of a broken ankle injury that I had a few years ago). I was also a huge boredom eater and would just grab my tub of ice cream and go to town lol. Now I just eat till my body tells me I'm full. Sometimes I go over on my calorie allowance and sometimes I'm under. I think my weight loss has been good from me cutting down on potion sizes and actually reading ingredient labels. I was never opposed to healthy food but I would over eat it so much that it wouldn't be healthy anymore. I exercise maybe a couple times a week (if I'm lucky) lol. I'm just trying my best not to come home and spend the rest of my day laying on the couch lol for the record too I've lost 18 pounds not exactly 20 but still I am proud of my accomplishments! Don't worry, I'm being smart about it :) thank you for the concern tho :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!