How to stop swapping calories burned for ones I can eat?

Options
So whenever I exercise it gives me more calories I can eat that day because I burned some.

How do I turn that off?

I want to eat the 1900 calories a day I agreed on and don't want to feel like I can eat more because I burned 400 calories and my food tracker says I can eat more now.

How do I turn this off?

Replies

• LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    you need to eat it if you're not doing TDEE-%... Its' already built your deficit in. Weight loss is about the deficit, not the exercise. You're only netting 1500 your way, not the 1900 you agreed on.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Manually enter your exercise calories burned as 1 or don't enter exercise at all.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    or put your exercise in the notes section if you want to track what you are doing.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    when you put in exercise just count it as 1 calorie. It will still state the activity and what you did
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    So whenever I exercise it gives me more calories I can eat that day because I burned some.

How do I turn that off?

I want to eat the 1900 calories a day I agreed on and don't want to feel like I can eat more because I burned 400 calories and my food tracker says I can eat more now.

How do I turn this off?

A) Disable your account and either track on paper or go to another calorie tracking method that doesn't log your exercise
    2) Don't track your exercise under cardio...use strength training or notes section
    III) Log exercise as 1 calorie
    Fourth) Just eat 1900 calories and ignore the rest.

Now...who did you make your agreement with to only eat 1900 calories a day, regardless of what activities you do? Do you know how MFP works and why it allows you to eat back calories burned?
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Are you understanding that the 'Agreed' amount of calories is to lose weight safely and successfully? If you change that to a much lower amount through exercise your body may work against you by burning muscle and slowing down your metabolism. So, trust the process and eat those calories. Just make the calories good calories. Eat clean. I had a problem with my calories too, but did what it told me to do and I have lost 40lbs. It works!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

How do I turn that off?

How do I turn this off?

A) Disable your account and either track on paper or go to another calorie tracking method that doesn't log your exercise
    2) Don't track your exercise under cardio...use strength training or notes section

Now...who did you make your agreement with to only eat 1900 calories a day, regardless of what activities you do? Do you know how MFP works and why it allows you to eat back calories burned?

I do option 4, because posting a calorie burn makes me feel like a total bada$$.... and then I get all this much needed attention that I so desperately seek from all my friends.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If 1900 calories is your TDEE - deficit, calculated including your workouts, then just don't log the exercise. Or log the exercise but only give yourself a 1 calorie burn.

If 1900 calories does not include your workouts, then not eating those calories back will artificially increase your deficit. A 250 calorie deficit + 400 calories of unlogged workout = 650 deficit. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, so long as you understand that you're eating at a larger deficit than you think you are, and thus the results will be different.

If you're already running a 1000 calorie deficit, and then you do 400 calories of unlogged exercise, you are upping your deficit to 1,400, which is considered an unhealthy level for all but the very obese. At very large deficits, muscle loss becomes more likely - especially if you are doing insufficient resistance training.

Bottom line : If you pick a 500 deficit for safe, steady weight loss, and then fail to log 1,000 calories of exercise, you won't get the measured steady weight loss you expect, and you'll probably lose a lot of muscle mass.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

How do I turn that off?

How do I turn this off?

I do option 4, because posting a calorie burn makes me feel like a total bada$$.... and then I get all this much needed attention that I so desperately seek from all my friends.

AWESOME burn, BTW!! WTG!!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeah it depends if you are doing TDEE, then you do not eat back your exercise calories because it has that included in your activity level already, But if this is the goal that MFP set for you based on your activity level and weight loss goals, then you DO need to eat them back because it already has the deficit calculated in for you.
  • odusgolp
    Options

How do I turn that off?

How do I turn this off?

AWESOME burn, BTW!! WTG!!

tumblr_lovm1zXf781qznx1ro1_500.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ar you using the MFP (NEAT) method or did you get your calorie goal from a TDEE calculator. If you're using MfP the way it is designed, you set your activity level without exercise...just your day to day hum drum...then you account for exercise after the fact by logging it...then you eat back those calories to fuel that activity. EAT (Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) is not included in your NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)...MFP is a NEAT method calculator, therefore, exercise is an extra activity that is unaccounted for until you physically account for it.

With TDEE, an estimate of your exercise calories (EAT) is included in your activity level...thus, they are accounted for already. When you take your cut from TDEE, you're still essentially eating those calories as they are accounted for in your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

Either method should be about 6 of 1 if you're doing it right. When I did MFP, my NET calorie GOAL was 1,850 to lose 1 Lb per week. With exercise I was grossing between 2100-2200 calories per day and losing roughly 1 Lb per week consistently. When I switched to the TDEE method, I dialed in my TDEE to be around 2650 - 2700 calories per day...knock off 20% and I was grossing roughly 2,150 calories per day. See...6 of 1.
  • theguy12
    Options
    These are not really the answers I am looking for - was searching for something more website technical related.

Don't know what TDEE or MFP means?

Other online programs I have used allowed me to go to settings and turn off the SWAPPING exercise calories burned for more food calories.

Weight loss is burning more calories with exercise and eating less calories than you we're before - calorie deficit. That is my goal.

If MyFitnessPal uses my evaluation and tells me I need to eat 1900 calories daily then I do. Then I want to be able to work out and burn off 200-300 of those calories so I am eating around 1600-1700 calories daily.

I DO NOT want to just enter my exercise at 1 calorie -- I want to know exactly what I am burning and doing and what is working and what isn't.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    These are not really the answers I am looking for - was searching for something more website technical related.

Other online programs I have used allowed me to go to settings and turn off the SWAPPING exercise calories burned for more food calories.

Weight loss is burning more calories with exercise and eating less calories than you we're before - calorie deficit. That is my goal.

If MyFitnessPal uses my evaluation and tells me I need to eat 1900 calories daily then I do. Then I want to be able to work out and burn off 200-300 of those calories so I am eating around 1600-1700 calories daily.

I DO NOT want to just enter my exercise at 1 calorie -- I want to know exactly what I am burning and doing and what is working and what isn't.

You cannot turn it off with MFP...MFP is a NEAT method calculator...you have to work around it if you don't want to do it or ignore it. You cannot turn it off.

Also, see my post above...MFP gives you a GOAL that includes a weight loss deficit...it's really simple...it does all the math for you...you NET to your GOAL and you lose weight. It's really that simple. When you set your activity level up it is sans exercise...so exercise is unaccounted for activity that needs to be fueled. You don't need to know all of the terms and what not...this is really, really, really, really....super dupper simple but everyone tries to make is soooooo f'ing complicated it's ridiculous. Just NET to your calorie GOAL...that is the way this tool is designed to be used.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Eh? It sounds like you want to do exactly what MFP is designed for, and yet you are trying to turn off features.

Pick a deficit, log your exercise calories, and then eat what it tells you.

You aren't going to be able to fundamentally change how the site works. If you want that, you need a different site.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

• theguy12
    Options
    Sorry I don't understand.

So are you saying that when MFP tells me to eat 1900 calories it knows that I am working out doing circuit training three times a week even if I don't log it based on my activity assessment when I signed up?
  • linusr
    linusr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure.
    MFP is MyFitnessPal
  • sunariel1
    sunariel1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It shows you calories consumed...just look at that and not the calories remaining. The program tells you how many calories you may intake based on your current weight and the daily activity level you tell it. If to maintain your weight you need to consume 2400 cal/day and your lifestyle is sedentary, but you want to lose 2 pounds/week it will tell you the amount of calories to decrease your dietary intake by without doing more exercise to lose those pounds. If you workout and burn "extra" calories on any given day, then the program adds those calories so that you will still be on target for your 2 pounds/week. You are making it sound like you want the workouts to burn bonus weight...in which case, don't log, or pay attention to the calories consumed tally.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't understand.

So are you saying that when MFP tells me to eat 1900 calories it knows that I am working out doing circuit training three times a week even if I don't log it based on my activity assessment when I signed up?

No. MFP uses your weight and goal and activity level (most people can/should set to sedentary), then it creates a deficit for your goal and give you that number to eat. As an example, if I use MFP's method, and I set to sedentary, my calories to maintain are 1600. If I tell MFP I want to lose, it sets me a "goal" of 1200, thereby creating a deficit. So, if I exercise and burn 400 calories, I can eat those back and still have a 400 calorie deficit for the day. You can choose to not eat back your calories, but your body neds furel, so make sure you're adequately fueling your activities.