Benefit of being old(er)

Options
There's a lot of talk about why it's harder to lose weight as we get older, etc., but I found a perk! I recently realized that as we get older and time seems to fly, what used to seem like forever actually goes pretty quickly. So the fact that I want to be at my goal weight by the end of the year (or at least March, my birthday), seems attainable and not so far off. I think that years ago, I would have thought of December 31 as being an eternity away, and I would never expect to be able to keep logging for all...that...time. Now I know that 2014 will be here and gone before I know it. And certainly, by the end, I will be fit and trim!

Replies

• anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Here was me thinking you were going to be in your late 60's or early 70's, my goodness you're only 42. But I'm with ya on the time flies thing. With just 18 months until I turn 50, I decided in Jan this year to do something about my weight. Didn't sound so long away to me and it's getting ever closer, quickly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Also, we tend not to be quite as stupid. When I was younger I would just crash my diet and starve myself to drop a few pounds. Now I actually understand and appreciate nutrition and fitness and I'm not as much of an idiot...note that I said not as much of an idiot...I'm still kind of an idiot.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Sing it, Sister!

With age comes perspective. I'm not sure what it is, but I feel very different this time. I think I FINALLY got my goals straight. Wanting to enjoy every day, and feel good, and being an active participant in my health is empowering. Losing weight and becoming fit is just the vehicle to get me there, and a wonderful byproduct of those goals.

I'm not feeling the desperation that I did in the past when I would try to lose weight. Instead of having a certain weight that I wanted to hit by a certain time, I know just want to keep moving forward. Exercise 5 days a week, and eat within my reasonable calorie allowance. Oh, and not feel like I want want to go all hari kari just because I had one bad meal. Don't get me wrong, I still want to be close to my ultimate goal by my b-day next year (April), but at least I'll know I'll be closer to that goal than I am today.

Man, we're awesome!! :drinker:
  • hdyanneh
    Options
    Ur right about that and like they say time is going to pass anyway you might as well do something positive!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's necessarily harder to lose weight as we get older? I am wondering how much of a foundation there is for that.

Well, I'm not young anymore, but not old yet, unless 30 is old. OK I'm old. But I do notice that time "seems" to go faster all the time. You may be on to something.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's necessarily harder to lose weight as we get older? I am wondering how much of a foundation there is for that.

Well, I'm not young anymore, but not old yet, unless 30 is old. OK I'm old. But I do notice that time "seems" to go faster all the time. You may be on to something.

If you are female, perimenopause and menopause make it harder. Not impossible, and not cause for excuses. But it is harder.

You likely have a while before you have to worry about that tho. You are younger than my daughter.
  • msneave
    Options
    Getting older is great! I never felt as strong or as body confident in my 20s (even though I was fit then) as I feel now at 43.

So many of my personal training clients in their 60s 70s and 80s have such an appreciation for learning functional movement that is healthy. They don't care so much about ripped abs and bodyfat percentages and sculpting a perfect butt or lean toned arms. They see the real benefit of exercise and healthy habits which is living your best life in the best body you can have.

I've learned so much more about mental/physical endurance, flexibility and strength from my older clients than I ever imagined I would and especially that age is really just a number. It doesn't define who you really are or what you're about. As I get older I feel more strongly that it's never too late to do something you've always wanted to do or be something totally different than what you've been in the past.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

If you are female, perimenopause and menopause make it harder. Not impossible, and not cause for excuses. But it is harder.

You likely have a while before you have to worry about that tho. You are younger than my daughter.

Well, I hope I won't ever be hitting pre/post menopause. As a male, that might be a big problem. Too much soy, perhaps, ha.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Here was me thinking you were going to be in your late 60's or early 70's, my goodness you're only 42.

Ha! That's why I said "old(er)" emphasis on the "er." I've definitely been reminded that old is relative!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options

So far, at 42, I don't actually think it's harder as I've gotten older.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    well... i don't think so..i was 210 when i was 25-26 and i'm 148 now at 34 so... lol

All depends.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I find that I'm more committed to this now that I'm older (turning 50 in a couple of months). Most of my exercise comes from swimming, when I was young & on competitive teams we would try to cheat by shorting the yardage on sets but now if I do that I'm only cheating myself. I'm doing his strictly for ME, so I'm not getting over on anybody by cheating, plus I'm just extending the amount of time it will take to get to where I want to be....