How do you keep sodium down??

Options
124»

Replies

• leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's always amusing to me how many people seem to only read and respond to the subject line. Most of these responses seem not to have even read the OP.

I read the full post, but he can't keep eating out/ eating packaged food and stay under his sodium. It is near impossible. My solution was therefore to plan meals he could prep and cook quickly, so that he had easy "fast" food available without having to rely on cans, frozen crap or eating out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Salt is NOT a problem, unless it is. If it is not a health concern. forget it. You're wasting time and energy.

Water adds weight and inches. If weight loss is your goal, salt can be a big problem whether it causes health issues or not.

It's a fake loss. So,. it doesn't matter. Weight loss is sort of a silly goal, if you're looking to reduce sodium to lose more weight. LOL. That's just ridiculous.

Anyway, it sounds like the OP got the answer he was looking for. So, it doesn't matter.

The OP said that he thought sodium was the cause of his stall. That would mean that water weight was the cause, as sodium doesn't cause fat gain. Just because losing water bloat doesn't matter to you does not make it fake, meaningless or ridiculous.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Aside from cooking everything I eat, has anyone had success at maintaining low levels of sodium?

No...that's pretty much how you do it. Processed, ready to eat food stuffs generally have a lot of sodium. Personally, I don't think it's the reason for your stall...yes, sodium can cause you to retain water...but you should still see a general trend downward regardless (unless all of a sudden you're eating a lot more sodium than you used to). I watch my sodium becuase I have to for hypertension...and it means substantially limiting processed foods...and cooking pretty much everything from scratch. That's how you do it.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you need inspiration, have a look at Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss. It tells you very clearly how much sodium is in food that comes in cans, bags and boxes. Particularly telling is his visit to a cheetos factory, taste testing them with and without the salt. Salt and sugar are used to mask tastes that are either bland of downright bad. This book will put you off that stuff for a long time.

These foods have way more salt than we realize. I recently read an article that translated the sodium of foods into shakes from a salt shaker. A single serving bag of lays potato chips has the equivalent of 40 shakes from a salt shaker. Most of us only get 6% of the sodium in our diet from fresh food and the salt shaker at the table - the rest is from manufactured food.

Cooking is the way to go, and not in the sense of combining a bunch of canned or boxed items into a casserole dish.

I've come to love cooking. If you've never cooked, you can take some good basic cookbooks out of the library (start with Joy of Cooking), or take a course. Your body will thank you for it.

Enjoy!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Salt is NOT a problem, unless it is. If it is not a health concern. forget it. You're wasting time and energy.

Water adds weight and inches. If weight loss is your goal, salt can be a big problem whether it causes health issues or not.

It's a fake loss. So,. it doesn't matter. Weight loss is sort of a silly goal, if you're looking to reduce sodium to lose more weight. LOL. That's just ridiculous.

Anyway, it sounds like the OP got the answer he was looking for. So, it doesn't matter.

The OP said that he thought sodium was the cause of his stall. That would mean that water weight was the cause, as sodium doesn't cause fat gain. Just because losing water bloat doesn't matter to you does not make it fake, meaningless or ridiculous.

Sodium can only "stall" you for a couple of days, and that's if your sodium intake is much higher than baseline for a certain time period. If your sodium intake is normally high, it's not going to cause you to "stall." If you lower your sodium intake drastically, and keep it low, you might notice an extra 2-3 pounds disappear.... but they'll come back as soon as you eat more sodium one day.

Water weight is not something to pay attention to or be concerned about. Just ignore sodium, the weight will bounce around a bit as intake levels go up and down, but it won't affect your actual body mass.
  • bcattoes
    Options

It's a fake loss though. It's not real. It's not actual weight loss.

Incorrect. It's not fat loss, but it is weight loss. It is the loss of inches and pounds.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Incorrect. It's not fat] loss, but it is weight loss. It is the loss of inches and pounds.

This has to about the worst conclusion about water weight that I've ever seen. It doesn't matter unless the guy is going into a competition, trying to make weight for something like a fight, or is preparing for photos.

Pushing people to worry about water retention rather than focusing on fat loss sounds to me like either a cruel joke aimed at teenage girls, or simple trolling.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Incorrect. It's not fat] loss, but it is weight loss. It is the loss of inches and pounds.

This has to about the worst conclusion about water weight that I've ever seen. It doesn't matter unless the guy is going into a competition, trying to make weight for something like a fight, or is preparing for photos.

Pushing people to worry about water retention rather than focusing on fat loss sounds to me like either a cruel joke aimed at teenage girls, or simple trolling.

I'm not "pushing" anyone to worry about anything. The OP was about sodium and water retention. I assumed he was already worried about it.
  • BeachIron
    Options

I'm not "pushing" anyone to worry about anything. The OP was about sodium and water retention. I assumed he was already worried about it.

You are certainly spending plenty of time arguing that it matters, but sure, that's not "pushing" . . . go with it
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    If you want to remove sodium from preprocessed foods there are a few tricks...
    1. Beans and other veggies that are canned can be rinsed to remove the surface salt.
    2. Canned food like soups. Add a plain potato and then dispose of it. It will absorb a large percentage of the sodium out of the food.
    Best way though is to avoid it by preparing food yourself with little or no salt and/or finding stuff that is low, reduced or no sodium.
    If you want salt taste you can use Potassium Chloride its listed as salt substitute... Technically it is a salt, but non sodium.

I do these things too, and also drink lots of water. I love salt, and since I don't have blood pressure issues, I am never going to give it up,. Salt just makes food taste better IMHO
  • bcattoes
    Options

You are certainly spending plenty of time arguing that it matters, but sure, that's not "pushing" . . . go with it

No, I was arguing that just because something doesn't matter to another poster, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. Different stuff matters to different people.
  • BeachIron
    Options

No, I was arguing that just because something doesn't matter to another poster, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. Different stuff matters to different people.

thanks for the morning lolz
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    MFP is accurate in sodium count. I usually get in about 1500 mg sodium per day, and I can assure you, I don't cook much. There are two important factors in getting in lowering sodium: 1) at the grocery store, check everything for sodium count. For example, I not longer buy pickles because they are insanely high in sodium. Some things you just can't eat anymore or eat them once in a while. I don't buy "healthy" TV dinners from Trader Joe's unless they are less than 600 mg total in sodium. 2) Tracking your sodium on MFP. Once you know what is causing your daily sodium count to be too high, and you eliminate it, your daily sodium intake will lower. Remember that your taste for sodium will quickly adjust. When my doctor told me that I had to cut back on the sodium, I thought, "No way can I do this." But it was amazingly easy. Good luck!! Trust me, if I can do this, you can. :wink:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    MFP is accurate in sodium count. I usually get in about 1500 mg sodium per day, and I can assure you, I don't cook much. There are two important factors in getting in lowering sodium: 1) at the grocery store, check everything for sodium count. For example, I not longer buy pickles because they are insanely high in sodium. Some things you just can't eat anymore or eat them once in a while. I don't buy "healthy" TV dinners from Trader Joe's unless they are less than 600 mg total in sodium. 2) Tracking your sodium on MFP. Once you know what is causing your daily sodium count to be too high, and you eliminate it, your daily sodium intake will lower. Remember that your taste for sodium will quickly adjust. When my doctor told me that I had to cut back on the sodium, I thought, "No way can I do this." But it was amazingly easy. Good luck!! Trust me, if I can do this, you can. :wink:

<1500 is very low. So low it can be dangerous. Are you under a doctor's care for HBP or something?
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I checked our your diary and I see what you mean. One tip I'll give you is that you can make your own breakfast sausage to reduce sodium. You can get the protein and a filling breakfast without all the sodium. I make a batch of sausage and put it in the freezer. Thaw in the microwave as needed.

Here's a recipe that I use all the time. You can cut down on the salt called for if you want to. You can use ground turkey or pork.

http://queenofthereddoublewide.com/homemade-seasoning-for-breakfast-sausage/

Thank you so much for posting this. When I started my diet back up, I got a kick start w turkey sausage, but it's too much sodium. Didn't know I could make sausage at home. I envisioned needing some type of meat grinder. LOL.
  • Shiels1988
    Shiels1988 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i was wondering does anyone know how it calculates how much sodium you should have? it says i should have 2500 mg sodium a day and that seems really high.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    i was wondering does anyone know how it calculates how much sodium you should have? it says i should have 2500 mg sodium a day and that seems really high.

It gives everyone 2500.

You can change it. 2500 is not at all high.
  • mommy_her3guys918
    Options
    Glad to read this! I was stressing about sodium levels and trying my hardest to stay below 2000 because I thought it would cause me to retain water weight if i went above.