Should I Stop Taking The Pill To Lost Weight?

Options
Hi, I am 25 yr old, 5'5'' and weigh 10st 10lbs (150lbs).

I am trying to get rid of 10lbs, which have been fluctuating for months. I stopped taking my BC pill (microlite 20mg) back in January, and I only started taking it again 8 days ago, which was 7 days after my period.

I have felt very bloated and fat lol and generally miserable since taking them, which is only 6 days. I was usually 10st 6/7lbs and now I am nearly 11st! It can't be fat weight because I am not eating any more than I have done over the months.

I am trying to cut down at the moment and getting more water and walking in my routine. I don't drink, smoke or have salt, neither do I eat red meat, my only downfall is chocolate but I've not been eating as much as I have done.

I don't know what other BC to take, I thought of the injection but I am not sure if that works straight away?

I don't know if it's fluid retention because I am not eating more. I am thinking of stopping the BC pill because I feel it's making me unhappy and I only went on the Microlite pill to clear my acne on my back which hasn't done anything either. I think if I stop my weight will return down a few pounds and I can focus on the last few other pounds and stop being confused by this weight gain in 8 days! It is astonishing, and has made me cry myself for the last few nights.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It can take time for your body to adjust to the hormones, especially if you just started taking them again after a long period of not taking them. What was your experience when you first started taking the pill that you quit in January?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Certain questions are better left to heath care professionals, rather than forum goers. I think the decision to stop taking any type of medication/pill fits into that category.

EDIT: my suggestion would to be to see a doctor.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Babies make you gain tons of weight. Or so I hear.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    see a doctor
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options

True. Story.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Give it at least a month. Your body is becoming re-accustomed (sp?) to the pill and that can sometimes cause the scale to go up.

Are your clothes fitting differently? If they are, and its only in the tummy area, then I wouldnt stop/change birth control. It's probably just bloat/water retention as a reaction to the BC

I have tried several different BC methods and I gained weight on all of them except the IUD. I have a predisposition to gaining weight with meds and it took a while before I could find one that agrees with my body. Because most BC forms are hormonal, you can expect some things to change.

If you still see the scale go up in about 6 weeks, talk to your doctor about your options
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Unless you're planning on getting knocked up, I would keep taking it and then go to your doctor and ask for another brand maybe?
  • MerryMoonlight
    Options
    I had no reason to be on them anymore as I wasn't in a relationship and my acne had all gone.
  • Stay far away from Depo (the injection)...I gained 40lbs in a year with no diet change, and my metabolism didn't recover for over another year. Getting pregnant makes you gain a lot of weight, plus you have a kid to feed for 18 years, so on and so forth. Stay on the pill and exercise more.
  • MerryMoonlight
    Options
    OMG! Yeah, it's literally only the belly area bottom especially,thank you. And to above reply, I've never had children so no.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Go have a chat with your doctor.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I guess that's something to speak to your doctor about.

However, I can only say one thing - I stopped taking the pill after years and within a few months I had the worst acne outbreak since my teens (and I was pretty much free for years). Seriously, it was absolutely horrid. After a few months of suffering through it I went straight back on the pill and it cleared off pretty quickly, but I'd rather live with a few pounds more than have another such outbreak. Just something you might want to consider.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

True. Story.

I only gain 30 during pregnancy, which all comes off within 6 weeks of giving birth. Not really a big deal.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It usually makes a 5 lb difference at most. Unless it's the depo shot- I personally know at least 6 women that gained 20-50 lbs on it.
  • MerryMoonlight
    Options
    I've only been on it 8 days, and my doctor knows of everything and told if I want to stop it's perfectly safe to do so. As for the acne, I never had an outbreak after stopping, only a flare, which died down after a couple of weeks and I only get acne at the top of my back. I also have a cream that is very powerful in reducing the flare up.

I think I will stop, as I'm not sexual at the moment so there was no other need. If I do become sexually active in the future, I will discuss the best option for that.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Stay far away from Depo (the injection)...I gained 40lbs in a year with no diet change, and my metabolism didn't recover for over another year. Getting pregnant makes you gain a lot of weight, plus you have a kid to feed for 18 years, so on and so forth. Stay on the pill and exercise more.

I have only lost weight on the depo shot. I guess I'm just a lucky one?
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yes, you are lucky. I've never known anyone who did not gain weight on it. But different medications work differently on everyone.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am very simialr to you. I started at 11 stone and am on the pill. I have recently swapped onto a slightly different one, but I have still been able to lose the weight. Everyone is different though, and there is no way I could stop taking them, as I suffer VERY BAD periods.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to give your body a little more time to adjust to it.
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    Yes, your body usually needs time to adjust, but I agree with talking to your doctor. Everyone is different. :wink:

For me, I have found being hormone free is best. So I recently switched from pills to a CoperIUD and I see and fee way different. I am glad i made the switch. Maybe when you talk to your doctor, you can ask if that is an appropriate option for you?

Either way, stay safe, listen to your body and take care of yourself. Good luck in your healthy lifestyle and your journey. :flowerforyou: