elliptical trainer - calories burned?

Options
So my elliptical trainer asks me my age and how many minutes i want to go for but does not take into account my weight. I go for 20 minutes and it says i have lost 80 cals. When I type the 20 minutes into MFP it comes up with a larger number of calories burned. This is me assuming they take into account my weight.

So which should I go by or does it really make a difference~?

Replies

• BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Do you monitor your heart rate while on the elliptical?

According to my heart rate (that I keep around my target heart rate of 155 bpm), I burn about 500 calories per hour. According to MFP, I burn 750.

As a rule, on MFP, I always underestimate my burns and typically overestimate my intake.
  • xX_Claire_Xx
    xX_Claire_Xx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, i also underestimate burns and over estimate intake because I'm worried I'll not get it right and consume too much :s

X
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, a machine will never be able to accurately calculate correct calories burned because each person that steps on that machine is going to burn calories a little differently.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    its difficult when inputting onto MFP as with the elliptical you can change the resistance and incline so calories burnt depend on this, as an example my incline is usually set to 5 and my resistance is 8 and I burn 300 cals in 30 minutes, however obviously machines very and so does peoples speed on the machine. MFP usually always overestimates my calories by around 50-100 cals.
  • yourvendetta
    yourvendetta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 kgs in 10 Days by doing elliptical only for 30 minutes everyday and obviously diet control.
    The thing is that all cardio machines arent accurate about calories burned.BUT , it depends upon the intensity and time u spare on it .Like my elliptical after 30 min at level 3-4 burns 300 calories.( standard weight added).