Down 15 pounds but don't feel like it shows

Options
I am 5'9 and been changing my eating and exercise lifestyle completely. I have lost 15 pounds but I feel like it doesn't really show. My current weight is still in the 200's. I'm trying not to let it keep me down but it is disappointing not to see a super change physically. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• ilovemilkymoos
    ilovemilkymoos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Firstly, well done on dropping 15lbs. That is a great achievement!
    Secondly, you are not alone in the way you feel. Its hard work losing weight and getting healthy, if it was easy (both mentally and physically) then everyone would be doing it!

I have been working towards a healthier life for the last 3 1/2 years, for the first few months, although losing i didnt feel any noticable difference and started to get disheartened.
    I then started to take progress photos, every month or 2, and looking back on them is what keeps me going!

Keep at it ..... you will start to reap the rewards.......
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Well done on the first 15lbs!!! :-)

I definatly didn't see a change after 15lbs... (I started off in the 220s, and im 5"6) To be honest, I don't see much difference now, after 40lbs!!! Sometimes its all in your head!

Even though you can't see a difference, I bet your friends/family/work mates and everyone else can!!! :)

They say, It takes:

4 Weeks for you to see a difference
    8 Weeks for your friends and family
    12 Weeks for the rest of the world.

Keep going! :) Good luck, you've already gone amazing! X
  • heatherdl2013
    Options
    Thanks! I feel like everyone thinks I'm lying about my weight loss because they all just seem to look like they don't see it. I know some people that have lost 10 pounds and everyone can tell. It is unfair but I can't compare my body to everyone else. I'm still gonna keep going at it!
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    :) Yeh defo keep going!!!!

I can't even remember my own loss! I still feel like the same girl, same size etc!

15lbs is ALOT, you have done so so well!! :)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I noticed a lot in the first 10lbs, then nothing for 28lbs, then I looked in the mirror recently and suddenly felt like I was finally getting close to what I want to look like. There was an interesting thread on this yesterday - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088202-seeing-the-thin-person-in-pics-mirror about how long it can take the mind to catch up with the changes in your body. And of course, remember to take measurements and progress pictures!
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    15lbs is an awesome loss!!! Keep up the good work. I know not seeing a difference at certain points during your journey can be extremely frustrating. I just posted not too long ago about only lose 1lb (I know a lb is a lb, but...) in 2 weeks of working really hard at my diet and exercise. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. I really believed that at least the first week I should have dropped a little more due to water weight. Advice that was given to me was to stay at my current calories and to keep it going, I wasn't giving it enough time. I am glad I did because now I am down 7lbs in 4 weeks (though according to my ticker it only shows 3lb :tongue: ).

Depending on how much someone has to lose will depend on when you start noticing a difference - someone who only has 15lbs to lose you you will notice 10lbs of weight loss on them. If you have 50lbs to lose 10lbs might not be as noticeable. I hope that makes sense. Have you taken before pictures? Did you take measurements? Are your clothes fitting differently? They may not be signs of the loss to others, but it will to you. Keep up the great work - there will be time when people start noticing the loss more than you do... :wink:
  • raye1984
    Options
    great job on losing the 15lbs. but dont feel discouraged your not the only one. i dont necessarity see my change in weight physically either but i can definitely see a difference in my face and how my clothes fit. i know im gaining muscle as im losing so i know that plays a part. but dont let it get you down, trust me you'll see a difference and im sure others see it already!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I couldn't see a difference after 30 lbs. But taking before/after pictures helps (I didn't, I was too horrified!).
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Wow! Impressive.

Don't worry it'll soon show... your clothes will be too big, you'll need a whole new wardrobe etc...

Stick with it! x
  • OrionsBell
    Options
    I am 5'9 and been changing my eating and exercise lifestyle completely. I have lost 15 pounds but I feel like it doesn't really show. My current weight is still in the 200's. I'm trying not to let it keep me down but it is disappointing not to see a super change physically. Does this happen to anyone else?

good job! 15 pounds is a lot! i know what you mean though...when i lose 15 pounds i think hmm, it doesn't really show, then i fall off the wagon and realize it did, in fact, show, because the outfits i can now fit into before the loss are super-tight. or my face looks puffier. for short people like me (5' 2"), every pound makes a big difference either way. keep on keepin' on - you're doing great :)
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I couldn't see a difference after that amount of loss either. To be honest, I couldn't see much of a difference after 30 pounds. But, when I compared photos of myself I could definitely see a difference. I would recommend taking pictures of yourself after every X pounds lost (up to you, I took them every 7 pounds). Our brains can take a while to catch up with the image we see in the mirror, but a more objective view by comparing photographs can really help.

Congratulations on your loss so far :flowerforyou:
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    15lbs is great! Imagine how much better your innards look. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Im at 40lbs down and still only see it like half the time.
  • AliciaNineteen72
    Options
    Thanks! I feel like everyone thinks I'm lying about my weight loss because they all just seem to look like they don't see it. I know some people that have lost 10 pounds and everyone can tell. It is unfair but I can't compare my body to everyone else. I'm still gonna keep going at it!

I feel EXACTLY the same way! I've lost 27 lbs. and I'm JUST NOW getting the comments that they can see it a little bit in my face!!!!! I'm like...."My face???" I'm glad of that, but I don't think I've lost 27 lbs. of face! I've been through this many times and for me, others don't really start to notice until I've lost 60 or more lbs. I'm 5' 7.5"

Anyway, focus on how much better you feel, and what YOU notice! They will notice eventually, but it does seem to take quite some time. Hang in there!!!!!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    when you have a lot to lose, 15 pounds will not show. I have a lot to lose and I still can't see a difference. I really don't expect to yet. maybe another 25 pounds. my roommate is the only one that says she notices anything.