looking for a support group

Options
Ok, so this is hard for me to do. I have always been over weight and like most I have tried more times then I can count on trying to diet and exercise but to no avail. So here I go again, but this time it's different. I still have the drive to lose weight but I have learned new things. I have this site that helps me keep track of my calories and exercise. I don't go to the gym but I have my Biggest Loser work out videos and a double stroller to push my kids around in. And the biggest thing now is I have a husband who is supportive. It's not enough though. My husband has never been over weight so he doesn't understand what I'm going through and the struggles going on in my head or body. I have tried to get my friends and family to join me but they are not ready to make a change for themselves. It's hard for me to talk to them about my weight loss and wanting to lose more because I feel like they are thinking "yah give it a few months and she'll fail just like before". Maybe their not thinking that. I haven't lost any weight in a week but I have been losing inches. It's hard for me to take in because I want to see the numbers drop on the scale but I'm trying to remind myself that losing inches is good too. I know a good part of succeeding in weight loss is to get a support group together. Here is my invite. If your going through the same thing then let's do this together.

Replies

• leandw
    Options
    Hello there! I am in pretty much the same position as you in your post, and I would love to follow along on this weight loss (and inch loss) journey. I'm Lee, 18, and I am trying to lose the weight I gained during depression a couple years ago. It would be lovely to hear from you! :) x
  • her_again
    her_again Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A supportive husband is a really good place to start. I have found you will make new fitness minded friends, someone to hold you accountable and to help you through the struggles. It's not an easy journey but its definitely worth it.
  • sweetcheekz82
    Options
    Having my hubby be supportive is so nice. I don't have to argue over getting workout stuff and he's even looking for things without me knowing just to help me out. It's very nice and I am so thankful to have him.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, a lot of us are on our own. Most people don't understand the regimine that I'm on and I could care less. No one understands why I want to lose body fat (not just weight) because most people are too ignorant.

With that, I say, look for support on other forums also like bodybuilding.com, you'd be surprised at the wealth of information you will find.

Also, workout videos are great and all but if you're serious start pushing that stroller more and incorporate body weight exercises which are the bread and butter of the Biggest Loser vids.

Most importantly, only you can motivate yourself to reach your goal. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!! :smokin:
  • DHogan80
    DHogan80 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi There:

I'm very much in the same position - although I do have the family support. My husband is currently losing weight to stay fit for Motor Cross, as he rides Quads, and rides up against people half his age. My parents also watch what they eat and regularly go to the gym, as does my brother. I've found that losing inches (measuring) in a lot better than the scales, as you're converting fat to muscle. Please don't be disappointed. This is more beneficial. I'm speaking only from my experience of course. All I can offer in advice is DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! Please feel free to add me as I'd like to help.... Dana
  • sweetcheekz82
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for showing support. Thanks for the advice and encouragement
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i was very much so on my own when i started. i was with a very abusive ex. i decided to lose weight so that i could reclaim my health so i could leave and be a strong healthy single mommy for my 3 kids. I have literally worked my *kitten* off and am proud of it. any help i can offer anyone, i will. i'm here everyday. multiple times per day.
  • Hzrdus
    Hzrdus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. My family is full of thin people (I probably weigh only slightly more than my parents combined) and my husband is supportive, but isn't (somehow at the same time) Sent you a friend request!
  • fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to be part of your support group. I have an inverse issue in some ways - I used to be a healthy weight and then having my two children combined with some other life changes have left me 30 lbs over weight. My husband is supportive, thankfully. But outside of that, my family does not believe me when I tell them my weight and his family is all large and don't see that I have to lose the weight.

I find the hardest part is not feeling alone on my journey. I am very self motivated, but I have come to realize I need to see other people's updates in my news feed (I usually us the MFP app on my iPad).

I will send you a friend request.
  • sanja560
    Options
    You can add me as well, I'm in the same boat, struggling wwith the weight for years, but like it's been said support is very important , we can do this just as long as we keep that drive!!!!!!!
  • OrionsBell
    Options
    Ok, so this is hard for me to do. I have always been over weight and like most I have tried more times then I can count on trying to diet and exercise but to no avail. So here I go again, but this time it's different. I still have the drive to lose weight but I have learned new things. I have this site that helps me keep track of my calories and exercise. I don't go to the gym but I have my Biggest Loser work out videos and a double stroller to push my kids around in. And the biggest thing now is I have a husband who is supportive. It's not enough though. My husband has never been over weight so he doesn't understand what I'm going through and the struggles going on in my head or body. I have tried to get my friends and family to join me but they are not ready to make a change for themselves. It's hard for me to talk to them about my weight loss and wanting to lose more because I feel like they are thinking "yah give it a few months and she'll fail just like before". Maybe their not thinking that. I haven't lost any weight in a week but I have been losing inches. It's hard for me to take in because I want to see the numbers drop on the scale but I'm trying to remind myself that losing inches is good too. I know a good part of succeeding in weight loss is to get a support group together. Here is my invite. If your going through the same thing then let's do this together.

key word: together. we got your back! good luck :)
  • DHogan80
    DHogan80 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just on reading everyone's comments - I can certainly see why I've joined MFP - everyone is fantastic and I truly hope it doesn't change through my weight loss journey... Here's to everyone remaining positive and getting to their goal!!
  • sweetcheekz82
    Options
    I am so glad that I posted this topic. I had been thinking about it for days and finally posted. I am looking forward to seeing updates from my new support group. this is going to be so nice. Thank you guys so much