Quit Smoking AND Lost 7lbs :)

Options
aezaidan
aezaidan Posts: 31 Member
I quit smoking about a month ago and I've been doing MFP for about 3 or so weeks. All these years I put off quitting smoking because I didn't want to gain *even more* weight. I've always been fluffy, but I was weighing in at my highest weight ever --over 300lbs-- and decided enough is enough (with the smoking and the weight. It's hard to work out when you can't breath). I know I still have a long journey ahead, but I thought today I would decide to be proud of myself. :) yay me! And yay you for all those other success stories out there!!!

Replies

• raylo1313
    raylo1313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for quitting smoking! I know that great feeling as I am now on Day 23 of non-smoking and I know exactly what you mean about exercising and not being able to breathe correctly. I myself have been losing weight since week before Thanksgiving 2012. It's been a long and slow haul but the needle on the scale is going in the right direction and the "diet" I am on I can easily stay with - it works. Keep on "truckin" and we'll both be reaping the rewards of great health! We're on our way!
  • g6944266047
    Options
    Stay strong. I quit smoking long ago but didn't have your strength to decide to lose weight simultaneously. So again stay strong and good luck with the struggles ahead.
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the quitting smoking! I joined MFP 6 Jul and decided to quit 23 Jul. I haven't lost any weight since quitting, but haven't gained either. It's great to be able to breathe in without coughing!!!!! Keep up the great work!!!!
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! I too kept delaying quitting because I was afraid of gaining weight. I joined MFP and started working out and I've been smoke free for 8 months and down 16 pounds!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You are all AWESOME for quitting smoking - especially while you're trying to work on eating/exercise. I bet you'll be successful in all these areas because you must be doing it for you. That seems like the only way to quit smoking. Great health wishes to you all!
  • ladylalaland
    ladylalaland Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! I started MFP 2 weeks ago and I'm planning to quit smoking in the next few weeks as, like yourself, I just can't catch my breath enough to truly start excerising yet. I quit before in July 2011 but stupidly began again in October 2012 so it can, and will, be done yet again. Add me if you'd like a quitting buddy :)
  • Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Well done on both fronts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I started both at the same time as well...Sept 25, 2012 I quite smoking and started exercising and working towards a more nutrition driven and fitness oriented life. Almost a year later and I'm rockin' it...40 Lbs down and still smoke free. Now instead of getting winded while I walk the dog for 15 minutes...I need at least a good quarter century on a bike just to warm up (I exaggerate some)...anyway, yeah...it can be done.

Congrats and keep on it. That's what I call Good Livin' right there.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yippee, I quit too, tho I still want one all the time
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Kudos on being a "quitter"!!! I quit 14 years ago..took several tries to stick but well worth the effort!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am always very glad to see people who quit smoking and still loose weight.

To the OP congrats both big Achievments

To the others on this thread who have done the same thing...a Big Congrats to you as well...

I can hardly wait to post the same thing...
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Oooooh...

Congratulations on your non-smoking status!!!

It's my first day of not smoking - OK so far, but I'm keeping an eye out for those panic cravings!

I also hope that I'm going to lose some more weight - I'm part way through Insanity, so surely I'll be able to push myself slightly further and see some benefits quite quickly? Also, I log my food daily, so I doubt that I'll be taken back by an increase in weight (unlike the last time I quit smoking, where I ate for England and gained 20 lbs quite quickly).

Just gotta focus on getting through today!
  • ButterflyDame
    ButterflyDame Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this tonight. I really want to give up smoking! It's in my mind a lot lately. I'm going to make myself a promise. I promise never to buy another pet of cigarettes ever again!!!!!
    I know I can do it...
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You can do it, ButterflyDame!!!

I've been reading stuff on this website like a crazy person: http://www.whyquit.com/

I think I'm just gonna have to keep reading it all day every day until I get used to the non-smoking life!
  • ButterflyDame
    ButterflyDame Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I've been reading stuff on this website like a crazy person: http://www.whyquit.com/

I think I'm just gonna have to keep reading it all day every day until I get used to the non-smoking life!

Thank you :) I'm really going to do it :) thanks for the link, off to read it
  • vale_m624
    vale_m624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! I started MFP 2 weeks ago and I'm planning to quit smoking in the next few weeks as, like yourself, I just can't catch my breath enough to truly start excerising yet. I quit before in July 2011 but stupidly began again in October 2012 so it can, and will, be done yet again. Add me if you'd like a quitting buddy :)

I def need a quitting buddy! Def need to quit smoking ASAP
  • vale_m624
    vale_m624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I so needed this! I really want to quit..I've been saying that for a while now but I deep down I knew I was not going to, just thought "yeah..eventually I'll quit when I'm ready.." Now that I've completely changed my eating habits and lifestyle, and workout 5 times a week and feeling amazing I just can't help but to think even how amazing its going to be once I quit and can push my self even harder since I won't be running out of breath constantly! Finally SO ready to quit~ CONGRATS to all of you that quit! such an inspiration!
  • Talirae9
    Talirae9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! I always felt the same way about quitting. I'm 49 days smoke free now, have gained a couple pounds but have been re-energized and am determined to lose those pounds and 20 more! All around healthy, here i come! :)

High Five!
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Way happy for you. That's what I call a win-win. You'll not only benefit health-wise on both fronts, but just think of the money you're gonna save not buying cigarettes! I quit about 32 years ago, when a pack of cigarettes hit $0.85 in the machines. I just wasn't gonna pay that! No siree! I find that people willingly pay ~$7.00 a pack unconscionable.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Thank you :) I'm really going to do it :) thanks for the link, off to read it

Yes... you can do this. What helped me, was taking the one day at a time approach. A billboard campaign was running at the time I quit, with the simple message, "Please don't smoke today." So every morning, when I woke up, I would look at that billboard, from my bedroom window, and say to myself, "I'm not gonna smoke today." One day turned in to a week, a week turned into a month...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!