For the first time in my life...

Options
For the first time in my life I was able to run 20 minutes nonstop!

I've never ever been a runner. In middle school and high school I was in that group of kids who brought up the rear of our 1 mile running tests. I've tried running off and on throughout the years after high shool (I'm 24 now) but I always pushed myself too hard too soon. That always resulted in me quitting after a month or so.

I kept hearing about couch25k and finally decided to get the app and try it out. Now, it started with 1 minute jogging sessions and that was crazy easy for me. It was actually annoying to stop and start so many times!! Especially when I was on the treadmill and having to adjust the speed constantly! But as the weeks passed on it did become more of a challenge. Not ridiculously hard, but a mental challenge for sure.

Then today, Week 5 Day 3 came up. The dreaded day I kept reading about everywhere. I was so nervous. I kept telling myself '' I can do this, I can do this''. I actually almost skipped today's workout because I was so nervous (I really don't like failing!) I was going to use the excuse that it might rain again, since it had rained a few hours earlier, but I realized 2 things. No one cares if I don't do my workout. It doesn't affect them at all, it only affects me, my life, and my goals. So it really came down to a matter of if I wanted to do it or not. Was I lazy or not. Were my goals worth it or not. The other thing I realized was that even if I ''failed'' it still wouldn't be a fail. As long as I got out there and tried (as opposed to laying in bed) I was doing something positive and something to be proud of.

After all that thinking, dreading, and wondering, I had realized one more thing. If I had just went out when I first should have, I WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE BY NOW!

So I finally put my running shoes on and headed out the door. I was still nervous, but happy that I went out there anyways. I was kinda proud of myself for facing a fear instead of hiding.

Minutes passed and before I knew it, my 20 minutes were up! I had for the first time in my life jogged for 20 minutes nonstop! Now, I wasn't breaking any records but still! It's more than I had ever done in my life. This is a huge deal to me!

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this! Sorry if there's any typos, i am on my phone and it messes up so much it's hard to fix all the mistakes!

Replies

• TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep it up.
  • gaspy002
    Options
    Excellent!:tongue:
  • EllenKay63
    EllenKay63 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Congrats.:happy:
  • aisha42
    aisha42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great job, I hope I'm able to do that soon.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well done!!
  • Spartan_1_1_7
    Spartan_1_1_7 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Great job !!!
  • lovetiffany
    lovetiffany Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm so happy with myself and my progress that I just had to share!
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!! Before you know it, you'll be running a 5K nonstop in no time :)

You said you wrote that on your phone...how are you able to get to the forums on your phone?
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Nice! That's a great feeling. I was so proud of myself when I got through the 20 minute day. I started C25k and got up until my 30 minute run, but then I went on vacation for a month and couldn't run in 100 degree weather + humidity. Then I came home and was lagging and felt like all my progress was wasted :( But a few days ago I was like, "screw it" and just kept going and ran for 32 minutes! Go us :)
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yay!!!!! Congrats!

My week 5 day 3 is on saturday!!!! I’m nervous but soooo excited to see if I can do it. :]

So happy for you
  • asbjrc427
    asbjrc427 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! This is a very inspiring post, so thank you for sharing your victory!!
  • lovetiffany
    Options
    Nicole: I'm on my phone, but not on the MFP app. I'm on my phones Internet browser. I wish that there was a way to get to the forums from the app though! That would be great!

HumAlong: That's awesome!! Congratulations on still being able to run for that 32 minutes! That's great!! It's hard when you fall off the bandwagon, but you picked yourself up and continued on! You should be even more proud!
  • lovetiffany
    Options
    Ashandstuff: You can do it! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! It's great that you are excited :)
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    All of that on a phone? Wow. I don't have the patience. :laugh:

Congratulations on completing that part of C25K. :flowerforyou:
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options
    Great work! Keep it up!