Runners/Joggers. What's in your diet?

Options
Also is there anything you try to avoid? Or any recommendations? Please feel free to add. I'd like all the support I can get. Thanks. :)

Replies

• NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with healthy balanced diet.

But for extra energy during my run I like to drink raw "harmless harvest" coconut water (it has to be refrigerated and has limited shelf life. But that's the only one that does not taste yucky to me. And I really do have moemergency from that tasty natural simple carb with vitamins and electrolytes.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    My macros are set to 40/30/30, I get 120g protein a day.

When not running high mileage, I eat 2000cal/day to lose, 2200-2400 to maintain.
    When in marathon training, I shift my focus and eat to keep my energy up, so something like 2700-3000 a day, or whatever will fit in my food hole.

The only thing I avoid is high fiber and spicy foods the day before a race.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    excuse my BUMP in the road!
  • GBPack93
    Options
    I'm currently training for a marathon and running 60 mpw so I have the burn to fit almost anything I want in, but some of my favorites for running energy are bananas, peanut butter toast, and powerbars.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a marathon and running 60 mpw so I have the burn to fit almost anything I want in, but some of my favorites for running energy are bananas, peanut butter toast, and powerbars.

I agree on the banannas and Peanut butter! PB is good 2 hrs before a run and a small fruit (bananna) an hour before a long run. It works well for me, where other things seems to make me queasy while running. These just give me energy and no queasyness.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    the only thing I avoid is spicy food just before a run, but that's only because it makes me feel icky.
  • margaritafittt
    Options
    As a pre or post-run meal, you can try a smoothie! They're great for packing in protein and other fruits or vitamins for energy without upsetting your stomach or making you too full so you can't run. About an hour before you go, try the Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie! 1 Banana, 1.5 scoops of vanilla icecream, 2 tbs peanut butter, 200 ml water, (optional whey protein), a couple ice cubes, then blend it! It tastes awesome and if you like yours a little sweeter, you can use natural honey.

I also recommend mandarin oranges during the day - that's my favorite snack and it just gives me a little sugar boost pre-run or during the day. Another great smoothie is adding strawberries to the recipe above! :)
  • margaritafittt
    Options
    ...PS: empanadas are a bad choice... haaahh pretty obvious but some of us learn the hard way!
  • marshxomellow
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you are going to have to play around and find out what works for you. Personally, my macros are set to 45/25/30. Some people prefer 50/20/30, others 40/30/30.

I avoid certain things before certain runs. For example, I can handle heavy cheese/italian meals before shorter runs, but before longer runs. It is really a trial and error thing, you just have to play around and see what works for you.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I am finding that a well balanced diet works best for me.....but it's really something that I have had to play with. I try to go by the 80/20 rule and during the week especially eat as nutritious, wholesome food as possible. I feel better when doing this, and in turn perform better. I also eat a banana about 10 minutes before I leave for my run as it doesn't make me feel gross and doesn't just sit in my stomach :smile:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I do about 300 carbs, 50 fats, and 120 protein. I weigh 150. I also do lots of strength training. That being said, I enjoy the heck out of yogurt with high protein cereal mixed in, bananas, Goldfish, lots of chicken, whole grain pastas/breads/rice, and some junk food. My diary is open and I log daily.