Those Days When You Just Don't Want To

Options
Holidays always throw me off. Due to commitments and chores that absolutely had to be done, I haven't put in a decent work out since last Friday. I am running a 5K this Saturday and really want to run a 5K when I get off of work tonight.

I know I should.

I know I will be happy with myself if I do.

I even know I will feel bad about myself and my body if I don't.

Even so, I'm still finding it hard to really commit myself to doing the run when I go home. I'm curious, does anyone else every feel this way? What do you do to finally convince yourself to get out there?

Replies

• sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I force myself to do *something* if I can't find the motivation for the full hour I try to at least get in 30 min... so in your case maybe try a mile... Usually if I set a smaller goal I can trick myself in to starting which is often the hardest part...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I felt like that this morning when my alarm went off. So, I skipped the morning workout and did it this evening.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to tell myself that my lazy body doesn't want to exercise but my healthy brain does. From the book by Chris Powell Choose to lose.

And I go exercise

Amy
  • yellowbd
    yellowbd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @BlueBombers.
    Absolutely. I felt like that this morning when my alarm went off. So, I skipped the morning workout and did it this evening.

Was it....was it cause you were still sad about the football game on the weekend?

couldn't help myself, sorry ;)

Go Riders!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    @BlueBombers.

Was it....was it cause you were still sad about the football game on the weekend?

couldn't help myself, sorry ;)

Go Riders!

No, I am over that. I am just feeling down because I know the Banjo Bowl isn't going to go any better for us :sad:
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I really didn't want to today. I am glad I did though, now it is over. However, I was nearly sick all over the rower and nearly fainted as I stood up. I think maybe I subconsciously pushed myself extra hard to make up for my lack of enthusiasm. :sick:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I force myself to do *something* if I can't find the motivation for the full hour I try to at least get in 30 min... so in your case maybe try a mile... Usually if I set a smaller goal I can trick myself in to starting which is often the hardest part...

This is what usually works for me.

I find that, sometimes, even just getting up and putting my workout stuff on gives me a little boost of motivation. It's the "might as well" approach. "I have my stuff on, I might as well go work out," "I started my dvd, I might as well do the whole thing," etc. :smile:

Good luck!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm at that point right now - I had to skip my morning workout because I had to work early, and now I am not wanting to do it when I get home.

Here's trying for some motivation....!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I very rarely regret getting off my butt and working out, but I often regret when I don't.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    BANJO BOWL HERE WE COME! Woot Woot!

When I can't get off my butt, I allow myself no more that 2 days. Day 1 is generally my body telling me I am worn out and need to recover; sometimes I need that on day 2 also. If I go 2 days I don't let myself say I will go after work - I set my alarm bright and early and high tail it to the gym (was running in am before work but now it is too dark :( It took me 3 1/2 days to recover after a busy weekend and 15 km run - I forced myself to get on the treadmill and incline walk for 30 mins at the end of day 3 just to get back in the routine.

I also revist in my head why I am doing this....(one is hot vacays). A bikini this winter for a total of 15 days...lets just say that's motivation itself.

Good luck!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I work out evenings and have got into a routine where I get home from work and change into exercise gear then I feel obliged to do it. Weekends I dress for exercise when I wake up.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Do whatever it takes. I sleep in my running clothes so when my alarm goes off at 6am I will not go back to sleep.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Assuming it's all mental and not a physical break my body needs, I spend some time looking through success stories on the forums. That usually gets me excited about getting out there and doing things.
  • sjhalida
    Options

This is the same for me...I will tell myself ok, just go and do a shorter workout so you get something in...then once I get started I feel better and end up working just as hard and long as a normal workout. It is amazing how you can trick your own brain...lol
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    Everyone has weak moments... What we CHOOSE to do about it is what separates us. Mind over matter. Stop making excuses, stop the self sabotage talk and believe in yourself and your goals. Get hungry for your goals. Find the passion. Really WANT to reach those goals and do whatever it takes to do it. Find your inner fierceness and fighter in you! Get hungry for that run and go get'er done!

Put your shoes and running gear on and go stand out side. Set up some good kicking beats and go go go! You have to want it! Do you want it? Prove it! Show it. Lets go! Get up and go! You can do this. :wink:

Good luck on your journey. Remember your body will follow where your mind takes it. Think positive and believe. You got this! :happy:
  • her_again
    her_again Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I absolutely have this problem. I'm typically a morning runner, but this morning I woke up not feeling well and I have been dreading the 4 miles I need to run ever since.

I agree with the baby steps, tell yourself you will just go a mile. Once you get out there you may go ahead and run all 3. Good Luck!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    just do it!
    I start at 4am,, first thing I do, is just do it.
  • monbot
    monbot Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If I get changed into workout clothes, I find that's the hard part. The rest is just routine - get the ipod, tie up my laces, go get the dogs, etc. Or I watch my dogs be extra excited about it being that time of the day, and it guilts me into a run.

Sometimes I eat something naughty. Then you get that little bit of guilt afterwards that's enough to make you go "shiiiiiiit, better go running".
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    just do it!
    I start at 4am,, first thing I do, is just do it.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say...except I don't get up at 4am! lol
  • ReginaM49
    ReginaM49 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't think about it. Refuse to have the debate with yourself. Just get on autopilot and move. Your head will follow.