What about the carbs?!?!

Options
Carbohydrates are probably one of the more unclear things about nutrition. Simply because they come in such a range: good carbs, bad carbs, fast carbs and slow carbs and each of them has its place in our diets and each of them fills a different void. It’s also one of the things that trips people up most often. So, today we’re going to take a little peek behind the curtain and try to shed some light on carbs to help you make better and more informed food choices.

What are good carbs and what do they do?

One of the most important things about good carbohydrates is that they are absolbed into our bodies slowly. Which helps avoid spikes and valleys in our blood sugar levels (reducing your risk for type 2 diabetes). They also help you to feel satisfied longer than other foods, reducing your tendancy to munch on other things! Good carbs are excellent sources of fiber, which is another essential source of our nutrition. A diet that is high in fiber has been shown to have decreased risks of heart disease, there is some evidence to suggest that it may help to prevent colon cancer and promote weight control and helps to lower blood cholesterol. Now, where can you find these amazing carbohydrates? Well, whole grains are an excellent source of good carbs and fiber, vegetables, fruits, oats and beans.

To get more fiber into your diet here are some quick tips:

1. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Just 5 servings a day of fruits and vegetables can get you about 10 grams of fiber a day depending on which ones you choose.
2. Include beans and bean products in your diet. A half cup of cooked beans can add 4-8 grams of fiber to your day.
3. The better carbs for most people are unprocessed or minimally processed whole foods that contain natural sugar, like fructose or lactose in milk.

But, the problem with the typical American diet is that it is anything but high in fiber, which leads me to the other side: the bad carbs.

What are bad carbs and what do they do?

Bad carbohydrates consist mainly of sugars, added sugars and refined white grains. Unfortunately, our diets are made up of tons of bad carbs! How often do we have a bagel or a muffin in the morning made from white flour followed by a hamburger on a white bun and ending with white rice for dinner? Even many whole grain breads have white flour listed as the second ingredient on the label! Generally, the more refined or the ‘whiter’ the grain-based food the lower the fiber content, which we have already discussed as being very important! Sugars and refined grains supply quick energy to the body in the form of glucose. That’s a good thing-if your body needs quick energy, for example, if you’re running a race or sports competition. But because of their high calorie content and low fiber benefits coupled with the sheer volume of such foods in our diets compounds to add up to lots of extra pounds over time! The more you can incorporate and substitute good carbs into your diet to replace bad carbs the happier, healthier and slimmer your body will become!

Looking for more information or need some help, message me!!

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Depending on the person and their health veggies & fruits in small or larger amounts have the same effect as eating a bowl of ice cream. I know being insulin resistant that if I have a banana I feel like crap, I get high blood sugars, I am hungrier then if I walk away from the fruit. Some people seem to think its a crash diet or a fad to go low carb, but if I still ate pasta, rice, bread and beans I would be on medicines that make me feel depressed, bloated, tired and old and being self employed/insured I would be b-r-o-k-e... I supplement my fiber and also have dark green veggies in my eating plan. What works for one may not for another....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Eating disorders/deteriorating relationship with foods can start with this type of nutritional dissection.........
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Sheesh.

Just. Sheesh.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't come in a range. They come in starches, sugars, and fiber.

And dividing them into "good, bad, slow, and fast" is just...well...no.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    They come in starches, sugars, and fiber.

I did that once. Crazy party. :smokin:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Just set your macros the way you want them and don't sweat the small stuff. For example, my macros are 40% carbs, 35% fats, and 25% protein. I try to meet those goals more or less each day by eating foods I like. Sometimes that's potatoes, sometimes brown rice. . . it doesn't really matter as long as you are overall hitting your targets.
  • amie709
    Options
    Depending on the person and their health veggies & fruits in small or larger amounts have the same effect as eating a bowl of ice cream. I know being insulin resistant that if I have a banana I feel like crap, I get high blood sugars, I am hungrier then if I walk away from the fruit. Some people seem to think its a crash diet or a fad to go low carb, but if I still ate pasta, rice, bread and beans I would be on medicines that make me feel depressed, bloated, tired and old and being self employed/insured I would be b-r-o-k-e... I supplement my fiber and also have dark green veggies in my eating plan. What works for one may not for another....

Absolutely when you add in medical conditions that changes the mix-this is simply a breakdown of what each one means because there is a lot of confusion around carbs
  • amie709
    Options
    Eating disorders/deteriorating relationship with foods can start with this type of nutritional dissection.........

I think it improved mine lol I started this at 270 lbs and still gaining. Avoiding bad carbs gives me more energy and has helped me lose weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are probably one of the more unclear things about nutrition. Simply because they come in such a range: good carbs, bad carbs, fast carbs and slow carbs and each of them has its place in our diets and each of them fills a different void. It’s also one of the things that trips people up most often. So, today we’re going to take a little peek behind the curtain and try to shed some light on carbs to help you make better and more informed food choices.

What are good carbs and what do they do?

One of the most important things about good carbohydrates is that they are absolbed into our bodies slowly. Which helps avoid spikes and valleys in our blood sugar levels (reducing your risk for type 2 diabetes). They also help you to feel satisfied longer than other foods, reducing your tendancy to munch on other things! Good carbs are excellent sources of fiber, which is another essential source of our nutrition. A diet that is high in fiber has been shown to have decreased risks of heart disease, there is some evidence to suggest that it may help to prevent colon cancer and promote weight control and helps to lower blood cholesterol. Now, where can you find these amazing carbohydrates? Well, whole grains are an excellent source of good carbs and fiber, vegetables, fruits, oats and beans.

To get more fiber into your diet here are some quick tips:

1. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Just 5 servings a day of fruits and vegetables can get you about 10 grams of fiber a day depending on which ones you choose.
    2. Include beans and bean products in your diet. A half cup of cooked beans can add 4-8 grams of fiber to your day.
    3. The better carbs for most people are unprocessed or minimally processed whole foods that contain natural sugar, like fructose or lactose in milk.

But, the problem with the typical American diet is that it is anything but high in fiber, which leads me to the other side: the bad carbs.

What are bad carbs and what do they do?

Bad carbohydrates consist mainly of sugars, added sugars and refined white grains. Unfortunately, our diets are made up of tons of bad carbs! How often do we have a bagel or a muffin in the morning made from white flour followed by a hamburger on a white bun and ending with white rice for dinner? Even many whole grain breads have white flour listed as the second ingredient on the label! Generally, the more refined or the ‘whiter’ the grain-based food the lower the fiber content, which we have already discussed as being very important! Sugars and refined grains supply quick energy to the body in the form of glucose. That’s a good thing-if your body needs quick energy, for example, if you’re running a race or sports competition. But because of their high calorie content and low fiber benefits coupled with the sheer volume of such foods in our diets compounds to add up to lots of extra pounds over time! The more you can incorporate and substitute good carbs into your diet to replace bad carbs the happier, healthier and slimmer your body will become!

Looking for more information or need some help, message me!!

Well there's a whole lot of wrong there
  • amie709
    Options
    I did research this before I wrote it up...and I gotta say it's certainly working for me and has worked for a lot of others who are doing the same thing that I know .
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I did research this before I wrote it up...and I gotta say it's certainly working for me and has worked for a lot of others who are doing the same thing that I know .

Oh well in that case, it must all be correct. My bad
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    edited for:: nevermind
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have a much simpler and effective guideline.

Good carbs: the ones that are tasty
    Bad carbs: the ones that are not
  • amie709
    Options

Oh well in that case, it must all be correct. My bad

No, if there is something you think is factually inaccurate, please let me know.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Greetings, fellow food fanatics.
    I have been down with a slight virus, and after two weeks with daily doses of garlic, and armed with enough pong to put out the hardiest onion loving viking, I decided to take a closer look at my weekly food shopping.
    I don't realy have a set meny, that I follow, and given that I am a 5'8'' female, on 14 stones, I know, I have a lot to learn. In my teens, I lived on a min of 800 cal a day, and every Sunday, I had West Indian food from a local take out.
    Needless, to say I am not surprised to find that MyFitnessPal, has given me 1300 cal a day to live on. I am happy to say that I was allowed an extra 300 cal as a result to my little spurt of arm slinging.
    I am forever changing and swapping to get my carb and protein balanced, but then my sugar level goes up. I don't use sugar, and have always been careful with fruit. I can see, getting the carb at level with protein, without the sugar, will take some research from my part. I am very grateful, as I can now see the strain, I was putting my immune system through. The high sugar consumption was lowering my immune system, and over time has made me put on weight.
  • jandub
    jandub Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In nursing school we learned that the body does not digest fiber. So that's good, it will fill you up. What I'm saying is that while I don't like the notion of "good carbs" and "bad carbs" because as sure as I label something "bad", I will covet it until I am shoving food in my face at midnight on a Tuesday night in my pajamas by myself. But, there are carbs that just make more sense to eat because it will go further in preventing hunger later on. But I'll agree that sometimes, I want that bagel over whole wheat toast and so I'll have it and not beat myself up. But for the most part, I try to stick to high fiber healthier options.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are probably one of the more unclear things about nutrition. Simply because they come in such a range: good carbs, bad carbs, fast carbs and slow carbs and each of them has its place in our diets and each of them fills a different void.

Hmm. I have never seen a food label contain the word "Good" or "Bad" or "Fast" or "Slow" next to the word "Carbohydrate."

Every carb, regardless of the adjective, is 4 calories. Eat less. Lose weight. Profit.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting your protein and fat targets (minimums) consistently, carbs become the variable among the 3 macros. So, if you eat enough protein, eat enough fat, but have decreased calories, those calories came mostly from carbs. You lost weight because cutting back on carbs reduced your caloric intake, not because the carbs were either "good" or "bad".
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    *passes around white flour white sugar buttery cookies*