Foods hard to give up, is it okay to eat in moderation?

Options

Replies

• Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I haven't given up anything. Budget it into your calories or go out and earn it before you eat it.
  • khalleron
    Options
    This is not punishment for being 'bad'. This is life.

So go ahead, have a ball. (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

Just have a bit smaller ball than you had before.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    All above is right on! I eat favorite foods in moderation. I also love to cook and have found ( & made up) healthier versions of food I love. It's a challenge to me and fun. :flowerforyou:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Give up nothing, everything in moderation. :smile:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    you can but maybe also try adding some healthy stuff in there as well like eat your pizza with a salad or something
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza, chocolate, mac & cheese, and ice cream all the time.

The difference is that I eat one piece of pizza instead of four, a Hershey mini or one Lindt truffle instead of a candy bar, a half-cup of mac & cheese instead of the entire box, and a half-cup of ice cream instead of a pint (or I'll have a cup of frozen yogurt if a half-cup isn't going to satisfy the craving).

Moderation is key. If you deny yourself your favorite foods, you'll end up binging. Since you are changing your lifestyle, you have to figure out how to keep your favorite foods around without letting them ruin you. That usually means cutting the portion size (and/or exercising more). If I really, really, really want two pieces of pizza and it's going to put me over my calories, I just work out for an extra hour at some point during the week. Eventually, it becomes habit, and you start to wonder if that extra piece of pizza is worth it. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. :)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Yup.

QFT
  • robin68562
    robin68562 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I believe in all things in moderation. If you totally deny yourself of the things you love you will crave them that much more and you will eventually go hog wild. So have what you like and cut back somewhere else. Just work it into your calorie count and you will be fine. I for one could never give up chocolate so I find ways to work it into my diet, whether it's chocolate rice krispie treats, hot cocoa or hershey kisses. Where there's a will there's a way.
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat whatever i want when i feel like it, as long as i can fit it into my daily intake
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My own personal philosophy is to eat whole nutritious foods most of the time and enjoy myself eating pizza, burgers, wings, etc. every once in a while in moderation.

So I think the answer is yes; enjoy the foods you love in moderation.

Being too restrictive in not sustainable.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I ate 3 (three) slices of pizza a couple of days ago, and a slice of birthday cake. They didn't put me over my daily quota, so I don't sweat it. To be fair the only other meal I ate that day was a McDonald's quarter pounder BLT, so overall I was still short by 400-something calories. I gained a pound of water weight due to their insanely high amount of sodium, but it's no big deal because I will lose that easily.
  • soullightprisms
    Options
    For me I eat some of the foods I want just a smaller size. I have lost 40 pounds in the last 4 months and am at a point now that my leg will allow me to exercise alot more. I am of the mind that sometimes when you go cold turkey, you can set yourself up to fail.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here, except Nonny.

IIFYM

Yep.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    What does your common sense tell you OP?
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    It's all portion control. As long as your within your calories enjoy the foods that you like. I have found that if I try to cut things out completely I end up binge eating them at some point.

^^^^This

No way am I going to stop eating dark chocolate and drinking wine, I just have to plan when to have them, and work them in.
    And Chicago hot dogs, only in Chicago, but I will eat them when I get the chance.

Just get very good at logging and planning :wink:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here, except Nonny.

IIFYM

Yep.

^ This. It's rather simple. Don't complicate it.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Yes just try to stick to your calorie goals and get enough protein and you'll do great :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It's all portion control. As long as your within your calories enjoy the foods that you like. I have found that if I try to cut things out completely I end up binge eating them at some point.

^^^^ this

as soon as I start having foods that I'm *NOT ALLOWED* to eat, I want to eat them all the time at every opportunity. It's like part of my brain sees this food and thinks I have to eat as much of it as I can, because this is the only opportunity I'll have to eat it. However if I allow myself to have anything then I just eat until I stop feeling hungry and stop, and choose foods that are most satisfying, i.e. higher in protein and vitamins.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My biggest hurdle so far is cutting back on the foods I love to eat like pasta, pizza, cheessteaks, etc. Somehow I feel like I should give them up completely. Should I give up the foods I love or is it okay to eat them in moderation?

I eat things like hot dogs, pizza and burgers less often than I had before. Is what I'm doing so far a good thing?

If you can eat these foods in moderation,definitely keep them in your diet. The only food that I gave up totally was ice cream, but will eat a serving of frozen yogurt about 3 x per week. Ice cream tastes way better but I can't eat it in moderation. Good luck in your journey and welcome!

I agree with and try to live by the" moderation in all things" credo, but do find that, for me, there are a few trigger foods that send me into a tail spin. I can't just have a little. I still eat those foods, but only out of the house. For instance, I might have cake when celebrating with a friend, but I don't keep cake in the house. As others have said, you just have to know yourself and what works for you.