i need sugar for my health problem

Options
so that makes it really hard to lose weight, in fact i have gained 50+ lbs. since my doc told me i need to eat frequent sugar combined with more complex carbs. what am i going to do? i am freaking out . i don't know how to structure the diet. i also have to eat frequently. does anyone here have porphyria?
selael

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Have your Doctor refer you to a "qualified" dietician so she can set up a plan specific to your medical needs!
  • khalleron
    Options
    As well as consulting a dietitian, you may also ask your doctor about an exercise program. Don't do anything without consulting your doctor, though.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Have your Doctor refer you to a "qualified" dietician so she can set up a plan specific to your medical needs!

This... Also..(not a dietician or a doctor so take with a grain of salt...always go with what a medical professional says.) Not sure of your medical condition, but complex carbs often work to create steady blood sugar. They are slower to break down than simple carbs like white bread. Sometimes if blood sugar dips low like with people who are insulin resistant or diabetic, eating a piece of fruit can help. Usually, fruit and things with natural sugar is enough to stabilize blood sugar unless it's severally low.
  • selael
    Options
    believe it or not its really sugar i am supposed to eat, i never ate sugar before this stupid disease. in fact i am having a hard time making my meal plan because i can't find things with sugar. there are no cookies in the data base at all. and i don't see a way to custom make my foods. is there a website design area where i can address this problem?
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    believe it or not its really sugar i am supposed to eat, i never ate sugar before this stupid disease. in fact i am having a hard time making my meal plan because i can't find things with sugar. there are no cookies in the data base at all. and i don't see a way to custom make my foods. is there a website design area where i can address this problem?

You can add new foods by going to myfoods and typing in all of the nutritional information. Once it's entered it's easy to find again. The best way to log is actually to type in the brand of the food and it usually pops up in the database. You can still stay under on your calories by ignoring the macros set and eating at your calorie level that MFP has set for you. That should help with losing weight. You can eat all the cookies you need/want as long as you're under or at the calories set to lose weight. Just be religious about logging.