Any prediabetics/diabetics out there??

Options
UGH!!! I'm so frustrated! I'm trying to get my A1C down to normal range (its 5.8 right now) and I need help on how much sugar/carbs i'm suppose to be having per day. I just checked my fasting sugar number and it was 87! I want to get it down to atleast in the early 80's..need help :mad: :frown: I don't want to take medication so i'm trying to do the best I can b/f I have to take that route..

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    When I was 379 my A1c was 8.9. I got it down to 4.5 in 90 days with nothing but diet and exercise. I noticed doing HIIT training really helped me with deal with the spikes. I did sprints on treadmill and also used cybex arc. Quick all out workouts seemed better for me.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I too am diabetic (type 2), the ADA has some great info out there. One of the best things you can do if you are already controlling your diet fairly well is walk. ADA recommends 15 min after each lunch and dinner, this will stabilize your blood sugar as well as help your muscles use insulin.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Umm, a 5.8 a1c and fasting 87 is not even prediabetic.

Prediabetic fasting would be between 100-125.
  • laddibugg
    laddibugg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah...is this a diagnosis from a medical expert? Or just your idea of what you think it should be. What is your post meal glucose levels?
  • 1jeannette9
    1jeannette9 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My Doctor told me to control it NOW before it gets out of hand. I guess she noticed an increase when I do my yearly check ups..
  • 1jeannette9
    Options
    87, I know that's not diabetic, but I've been reading up on it and its been like that since she told me to lower my A1C level..
  • 1jeannette9
    Options
    She did tell me to walk after meals, I guess I just need to do more physical stuff than what I do now..
  • 1jeannette9
    Options
    Do any of you all use the Sugar tracking on MFP or do you adjust it to a diff. number and carbs.? Cause I noticed when I workout the tracking number on there raises up. I don't get that..
  • 1jeannette9
    Options
    Wow! That's great!
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    Options
    I'm not diabetic myself, so can't speak from personal experience. But my dad is, and he doesn't eat right or exercise, and I've noticed that the minute he does anything physical, even just a gentle putter in the garden, his blood sugar numbers drop like a stone. So I would say keeping active is a huge factor, along with, obviously, eating better choices. And, as I'm sure you are aware, the sugars in fruit are just as bad as the processed ones, according to the information sessions we went to.
  • Hillm1974
    Options
    I am Type 1 and have been told a good A1c is around the 6 range....Yours sounds like you are where you should be. Maybe a little over the average, but not bad. I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago and my A1c was 12, so count your blessings!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I'm Type 2 (diagnosed in 2009) A1c at that time was 10.0, today I average 5.3 and holding steady.... I am a FIRM believer that my exercise routine (which includes both endurance based and HIIT training as well as Weight lifting) has alot to do with my A1c numbers... My diet and weight loss has played a big part as well but exercise is key..... Best of Luck
  • Patriots96
    Patriots96 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That is not a bad number at all. I am a Type 1 (diagnosed in 1994 at age of 22) and can tell you that exercising will help. In fact, my blood sugars dropped, as one of the other folks said, like a stone, when I began exercising. This is a good thing. Just keep a close watch on your blood sugars before and after your workouts because not everyone's body reacts the same. Good luck!:drinker:
  • dunge0n
    dunge0n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    UGH!!! I'm so frustrated! I'm trying to get my A1C down to normal range (its 5.8 right now) and I need help on how much sugar/carbs i'm suppose to be having per day. I just checked my fasting sugar number and it was 87! I want to get it down to atleast in the early 80's..need help :mad: :frown: I don't want to take medication so i'm trying to do the best I can b/f I have to take that route..

That fasting is well within the normal range, not even prediabetic. Doctor is probably concerned because your A1C is 5.8. Normal is 5.7 and below. If you are over weight, losing 10-15 lbs will get you into the normal range. I am pre-diabetic. My A1Cs are 6.3 (6.5+ is diabetic). Last one was 5.9. My fasting was anywhere from 100-130. I just started metformin. Insulin resistance is causing a weight stall and some other health issues.

Get educated on type II diabetes. Most hospitals offer free diabetes education. Understand what 1 carb serving means (15grams of carb) which is 1 whole wheat toast or 1 small apple or 1/2 medium pear etc. Keep breakfast to 2-3 carb servings, dinner and lunch to 3-4 carb servings and 1 carb serving snacks in between. That's what I do but like I said take a class and see a nutritionist who can assess your situation. MFP given me more carbs then I want to eat so I track that myself.

Hope this helps.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am a T2 diabetic and am currently struggling with my BG numbers. I think 87 to 80 is a bit of overkill. 87 is okay. Just watch your diet and exercise. If you want to go on the carb counting then you need to see a nutrionist.
  • 1jeannette9
    Options
    Thx everyone for your replies. I'll see what the doc. Can do for me in order to see a nutritionist. :)
    I guess carb. Intake is diff. For everyone...:/
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

sadly, there are tons of us :frown: We should just band together and be minion but I'm sure we wouldn't be able to decide on a platform :laugh:

It's different for everyone. I eat to my meter & eliminate foods accordingly, I've found through frequent testing, that I can only tolerate up to 10 g of carb per meal and less than that for snacks. That translates to about 115mg/dl for 1 hour PP and usually around 112-110 for 2 hr PP.

Most diabetics would be happy to see a fasting number of 87 mg/dl as the general consensus is FBG is the highest...it's also the last in the system to break down. Meaning that 87 mg/dl is a good number to see.

Now what's more telling would be your pre and postprandial numbers :huh:

bloodsugar101.com helped me figure out how to deal and bring my BG's down to a reasonable level to facilitate normal weight, and halt the progression.

Most folks chose their BG targets not from arbitrary numbers but from a health standpoint and work their way down from there. You'll find those targets (if you're unaware of them) on the site listed above, click on the link 'healthy blood sugar targets'.

There's also a wonderful list of books to read & get you up to speed on different things you can try and tailor to your own needs.

You can also lurk on tudiabetes.com for additional information but I don't know if I would lament a FBG of 87 mg/dl to other diabetics :blushing:

Medication. :smokin: If your doctor recommends it, there may be a good reason for it. There is no failure in needing meds or using meds to decrease your BG. There's just no room for vanity when you consider the ramifications :ohwell: To this end, just because you start meds, doesn't mean you have to stay on them. I say, take them for as long as you need to and drop them as soon as you're able. Get right with the idea that this may never come to pass and if it does....BONUS!!! :laugh:

Exercise. The fastest way to bring down your BG immediately....when you exercise, you use up the glycogen in your muscles and then you only have to deal with what stupidness your liver is doing :ohwell: It's a quarter of the battle.

Good luck chica, :heart: eating to your meter is the fastest way to figuring out the exact number of grams of carb you are able to tolerate.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    87, I know that's not diabetic, but I've been reading up on it and its been like that since she told me to lower my A1C level..

To be more specific, to lower your A1C, you will need to lower your PP BG's. If your FBG is in the 80's or even low 90's on a regular basis, then your problem is how high you spike post meals.

There are a number of ways to check this and get a figure you can work with. It involves experimenting and pricking your finger a LOT :laugh: but it's worth it. Yes, I used this method to determine the limits within which I can go as far as carbs and protein.

I ate X grams of carbs (choose an arbitrary number here, starting with 15 might be good). Then tested every 15 minutes (starting from the moment I finished eating) until it was 2 hours after I finished eating.

This will tell you how high you go out of the normal range & how long it takes for you to come back down to normal range. You may not even get back down to normal range within the 2 hours. If so, decrease the amount of carbs and test in the same manner again. Also, if you spike beyond 120mg/dl at the 1 hour mark, decrease your carbs for the next test. If you spike beyond 140mg/dl at the 2 hour mark, this is also an indication to decrease your carb figure.

If you stay within the boundaries listed above, Congrats! you've found your magic number!

Some tips about testing....it's not linear. Sometimes you'll get a higher FBG because of something you ate yesterday or the timing of your last meal or the timing of exercise. It's up to you to start finding out what that is :flowerforyou:

You will be able to rebound well from some foods and not so well from others with the same carb content. Not all carbs are created equal :ohwell: Sad, but true.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • j3bean
    j3bean Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My a1c was 5.9 in March when I first joined MFP. Your doctor is right to alarm you- there could be other symptoms that you would never expect. My opthamologist found an aneurism in my eye caused by elevated blood sugars. Fortunately its gone now, but it took a few months of following an anti-inflammatory diet/lifestyle to get my eyes clear again: Eating lots of fiber, vegetables and fish high in omega-3 (just say no to tilapia!), exercising every day (30 minutes of rigorous activity- mainly walking and swimming), and the help of a few supplements (cinnamon, tumeric and cod liver oil are my goto favorites)

I just retested a day ago, but I do not have the results back yet to confirm what I can feel - I am back in the healthy range. What I know now is that the changes that I have made are for life. Diabetes is a cruel disease, avoid it at all cost!