Do you have a cheat day or cheat meal every week?

Options

Replies

• Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a cheat day. I usually choose the weekend, and whatever my plans are. If I know we are having a family gathering, or going somewhere special. I use that as my cheat. :happy:
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I love love love pizza. I have it about every two weeks. Have what you want, just fit it into your intake.
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Saturday 3pm till Sunday 3pm
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't plan specific cheat days or meals. I eat well most of the time, but if something catches my fancy, I have that, in moderation. I'm not fanatical about losing weight quickly, though. I'm content to lose slowly and after losing 76 lbs with 28 lbs to go, I am currently losing about a lb a week. If I was more strict with myself, I would be losing more quickly.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've said it before, I'll say it again - it's not cheating if you log it. Eat it, log it and live your life.
    Love it. Love it love it love it.
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    I eat whatever I want everyday and I don't consider it cheating or anything because I'm always within my calorie goal. Of course some day are higher and I focus on the weekly calorie average and not the day to day. Some days I'm hungrier than others and my cals reflect that.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I don't. I eat what I want & plan it into my allotted calories for the day.
  • StephLoves2Lift
    Options
    Usually 1-2 cheat MEALS (not days) a week. I space them out. Kicks your metabolism into high gear. IMO cheat meal is a must! :)
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I do one cheat meal + real dessert a week. I may go over cals on my cheat day however the day before & after i tend to low cal it. My weekly calories is always under goal.

It's working for me :D I've found it's way easier to stick with my healthy eating 26 meals (3 meals + dessert per week) if i know ill have 1 meal & one dessert of anything i want.

When possible i look at the calories tho & it helps me make better choices.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I figure if I make at least one meal a week a cheat meal, then I won't be depriving myself of anything. (All things in moderation, right?)

I don't have a "prohibited foods" list so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything. I'm not a believer in planned "cheat days" because they'll be added on to the inevitable actual, unexpected cheat days that inevitably happen.

The other problem with "cheat days" is that by their very nature they are generally difficult to log correctly, which puts a real dent in the point of maintaining a thorough food diary.

All IMO, YMMV, etc.
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    On Fridays, I have a large Lean Cuisine dinner that is within my calories for the day!!

As for other cheat days, they crop up on their own, i.e. lunch dates with friends, birthdays, holidays and family gatherings.

Don't look for cheat days. They're part of life!!!
  • kristintraylor
    Options
    I'm eating a double-scoop ice cream cone once a week. I go into the shop, but it, sit down, and eat it mindfully. It's my favorite dessert, and I'm eating it in public (I live alone). I'm losing about a pound a week.
  • Tctr
    Tctr Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse but what EXACTLY is a cheat day/meal?

If you eat within your cal limit for the day how can you say you "cheated" at all?

Do people just mean unhealthy food is "cheating"?

My understanding, when I first heard this term, was that you would eat OVER your allotted cal limit and probably over your maint cal limit in one day.

Myself, every Saturday I have pizza, wings and beer while watching a movie with the family. Sometimes we'll have smores or some other dessert too. I typically do some form of exercise during the day that keeps me below or at the MFP target cal's. Is that cheating? I always thought of it as recharging.

Just looking for clarification.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    When using the JUDDD program, every other day is a cheat day. You eat whatever you want and in whatever quantity. No program is universal and works for everyone, but if you're the type who needs those "cheat" days, JUDDD is a good one to try.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Cheat Meal
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week but I ensure that it fits into my weekly deficit.When beginning my weight loss journey I made the mistake of looking at my calorie deficit on a strictly daily level and I found that I never allowed to indulge once in a while because I was so terrified of being over my calories for the 'day'. However, now I've started looking at it from a weekly perspective, I lower my calorie intake on days I don't feel particularly hungry (Mostly Mondays) and a little bit the rest of the week so I have room on the weekend to eat more, but within limits.

I think a cheat day can have alleviate the psychological impact that a diet can create, it can make you feel less restricted and more inclined to carry on the diet for a longer time. However, the impact of a cheat day, in my opinion, depends entirely on the basis on the weekly deficit you have incurred. For example, you could eat 2500 calories on a cheat day but cut out calories during the week and still maintain the week's deficit, or have 5000 calories and maintain an average calorie intake that causes you to maintain.

Occasionally, I'll allowed myself little treats during the week like a small chocolate bar but I find that this isn't the best method for me because they tend to trigger me to eat more.
    I'm still working out if this is hurting my weight loss though as I've only just starting doing this so. In a couple of months I will know if it works for me. Everyone is different.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've said it before, I'll say it again - it's not cheating if you log it. Eat it, log it and live your life.

Agreed. Just fit the food you love into everyday life. Then you don't have to misuse the word "cheat" to describe what you're doing or feel guilty for just enjoying tasty food.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of making Friday either a whole cheat day, or have dinner on Friday be my cheat meal of the week. However, I wonder if I do that every week, and I make sure that I am within my calorie budget the rest of the week, if I will still be successfull at weight loss. I figure if I make at least one meal a week a cheat meal, then I won't be depriving myself of anything. (All things in moderation, right?)

Do you guys do this? Does it work for you?

It depends. It all comes down to a calorie deficit, at the end of the day. You might be within your calorie allowance 6 days of the week, then have a 'cheat meal' or 'cheat day' that makes up that calorie deficit, therefore you won't lose weight.

You will only end up cheating yourself, in my opinion. Eat what you want, just make sure it fits in your calorie allowance. If you want to splurge one day a week, eat less during the week and use those saved calories for what you want on that one day. Get a bigger workout in on that day and 'earn' that meal. There's plenty of ways to do it without damaging your weight loss.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week but I ensure that it fits into my weekly deficit.When beginning my weight loss journey I made the mistake of looking at my calorie deficit on a strictly daily level and I found that I never allowed to indulge once in a while because I was so terrified of being over my calories for the 'day'. However, now I've started looking at it from a weekly perspective, I lower my calorie intake on days I don't feel particularly hungry (Mostly Mondays) and a little bit the rest of the week so I have room on the weekend to eat more, but within limits.

I think a cheat day can have alleviate the psychological impact that a diet can create, it can make you feel less restricted and more inclined to carry on the diet for a longer time. However, the impact of a cheat day, in my opinion, depends entirely on the basis on the weekly deficit you have incurred. For example, you could eat 2500 calories on a cheat day but cut out calories during the week and still maintain the week's deficit, or have 5000 calories and maintain an average calorie intake that causes you to maintain.

Occasionally, I'll allowed myself little treats during the week like a small chocolate bar but I find that this isn't the best method for me because they tend to trigger me to eat more.
    I'm still working out if this is hurting my weight loss though as I've only just starting doing this so. In a couple of months I will know if it works for me. Everyone is different.

I've been doing the weekly approach for the last 8 months and it has worked for me :)

I wouldn't call it a "cheat" as I eat around or just under my tdee at the weekend and have more of a calorie deficit during the week. I just look to make my weekly average close to my target and dont worry if there is a day when I am way over or way under. My reason for doing this is I want to have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner over the weekend, plus I tend to have a few more snacks. I still log everything and eat more or less the same type of meals at the weekend as during the week. Whatever day of the week I try to make tasty meals from foods that I like. No point eating things you hate just because someone told you that it is a superfood, or excluding things you love because it is "bad"! Everything in moderation is the best way for me :)

Just go with what works for you. Some people seem to like to fit in a little treat each day. Others (like me) prefer to be more careful on most days so they can fit in one or two higher calorie days each week.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of ways to do it without damaging your weight loss.
    Shhhh don't say that too loudly or people here will tell you how wrong you are, even more loudly.

I have zero cheat days and zero cheat meals. The closest I get to "cheating" is to have an occasional beer or leave the cheese on my sandwich. I eat 2000ish Calories per day (or less) out of my projected 3000-3200 (on particularly active days, 4000+) average daily burn. I never "eat back" the calories I burn exercising.

I've lost 26+ lbs in 6 weeks. I get all my nutrients and I never feel hungry or deprived in the least. I also work my butt off in the gym and outside in my running/hiking shoes. My measured BMR has actually gone up slightly since I started this adventure (by about 50 Calories, assuming a reasonable margin of error it is at least equivalent), my cholesterol and blood pressure have both started dropping, and my resting heart rate is down almost 20%. I'm the healthiest I've been in years and I'm getting stronger and more physically capable by the day. My doctor expects even more improvement on all fronts during my checkup next month.

It's still a long road ahead, but I'm incredibly happy with the track I'm on. Flame away if you must.