who uses a cpap machine??

Options
just curious who all uses a cpap machine. i have used mine for about 2 years and it has been causing sores/pimples on my face where the mask sits.

is there anything that can be done about this?

i have been told not to put creams, ointments or anything else on my face where the mask goes as it will not seal properly.

Replies

• Deja_Thoris
    Deja_Thoris Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing to a different mask? A nasal pillow type mask (if you are comfortable with it - I know from experience that finding the right mask is a very personal thing) might help as it would have less points of contact on the skin to irritate. I use a NasalAire II and have found it to be the least intrusive for me, which means I have really high compliance. Getting a good night's sleep is essential to weight loss, so ask your healthcare provider to give you some mask options if the one you have isn't right for you.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing to a different mask? A nasal pillow type mask (if you are comfortable with it - I know from experience that finding the right mask is a very personal thing) might help as it would have less points of contact on the skin to irritate. I use a NasalAire II and have found it to be the least intrusive for me, which means I have really high compliance. Getting a good night's sleep is essential to weight loss, so ask your healthcare provider to give you some mask options if the one you have isn't right for you.
    I also use nasal pillows. I have been on CPAP for several years with no troubles. I was rather bummed to learn that weight had little to do with my apnea; I have reached goal and have a healthy BMI but still have apnea.
  • roadregrets
    Options
    Hello!

I just recently got a CPAP machine I'm on a trial period. I don't have obstructive sleep apnea remarkably but my excessive snoring is cause for concern. It has been rather difficult keeping it on through the night but I will keep trying! Hopefully too, a deeper more satisfying rest can help in my weight loss journey!

I find my mask fits very loosely, the RP said it is fitting well so I would just suggest looking into a different mask. Also if you don't already use a gentle wipe on the mask it may help to remove oils and dirt.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    Options

I have tried the nasal pillows and they didn't work as i sleep with my mouth open and that was counter productive. i will for sure talk to my doctor and see if he has suggestions. who knows maybe i need to try the nasal pillows again. i actually still have a pair from when i first started using my machine.

thanks for the help.. i do appreciate it...
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with nasal pillows, but you can buy a chin strap that is comfortable that keeps your mouth closed.

My nasal pillows worked great until I lost my triple chins, which allowed my mouth to fall open. The chin strap remedied the problem. You can use pure lanolin ointment (lan-sin-oh) with a nasal pillow mask to help it seal and to keep your nostrils from getting red and sore. I have used my CPAP for more than 2 years, and like a previous poster said, I still need it after losing 100 pounds.