Feeling disheartened

Options
Despite being good and exercising regularly - including high impact exercise - my weight has been static since July. I lost 24 lbs over a course of 7 months. I would like to lose 10-14 lbs more. I even had a few cheat days to try and confuse my metabolism. I am not putting weight on and thats good, but how can I push past this plateau? Any suggestions welcome!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Despite being good and exercising regularly - including high impact exercise - my weight has been static since July. I lost 24 lbs over a course of 7 months. I would like to lose 10-14 lbs more. I even had a few cheat days to try and confuse my metabolism. I am not putting weight on and thats good, but how can I push past this plateau? Any suggestions welcome!

set your cals to lose 1/2lb per week now you only have a little to lose, and maybe try a new exercsie routine?
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will try the exercise shake up but can you explain why resetting goals to half a pound a week insted of one pound a wekk would help? Thanks.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I suggest you send me that puppy.
  • steviebe75
    steviebe75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it and try to stay motivated. Changing your excersize routine I find helps me when I hit a static moment. I yo-yo betweed 196-203lb now I am at my goal of where I wanted tobe. You have done well to lose the 24 and if you remain focussed you will get there.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Your body LIKES to stay at a certain weight. It doesn't like to change.

Maybe it's reached a new equilibrium. Maybe it's trying to hold on. It needs a little extra push.

Move your calories down by 200 maybe. I used to have the same thing I felt I wasn't losing. I was at 2100 or something. I changed it to 1900 for a few weeks and I started losing again. And it went pretty fast. I went back to 2100 and still kept losing more a bit slower.

Or move your calories back up by 200 for 3 weeks and down again after that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will try the exercise shake up but can you explain why resetting goals to half a pound a week insted of one pound a wekk would help? Thanks.

because you are working towards the amount of calories you need to maintain as you only have a few pounds to lose.

plus the body naturally wants to keep some fat, so having a large deficit can be counter productive when you are near the end of your goal. a small deficit enables you to get all of the nutrients you need and plenty of protein to maintain LBM, while also losing fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure your foods? Also, what is your exercise routine and do you eat additional calories when you exercise and can you open your diary?
  • samanthawardle31
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Not sure whether to eat more calories or less though! I dont weigh every food, I admit, but my portions are small. I walk the dog briskly daily and try to attend 3-4 classes a week - this week I will have completed 2 high impact Body Combat classes and 1 Kettlercise class. In addition I have been trying to run/walk alternately - this is very new to me so I log it as a brisk walk. Last week I tried interval training which was a killer! Might do that again, and I was thinking of Spin classes which i havent been to for a long time. Plus I have Jillian Micheals 30 days shred, at one point I was doing that daily but let it slide. better dust it off!

Thanks for your words of encouragement though, means a lot.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Do you log every day? Try consistently logging everything accurately for a few weeks.
  • samanthawardle31
    Options
    Crazy Steve what do you want with my Puppy!! hehe
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My trainer puts me on a strict, and I mean STRICT Adkins diet for 10 days every 3 to 4 months to shake mine up. It seems to work and it is only 10 days----10 very sadddddd days. But it works!