Been Dieting and Eating Well but No Weight Loss

Options
Hi everyone! I had lost quite a bit of weight (125 to about 110/111) over the course of several months. I was able to maintain my new weight, but all of a sudden I began to regain. I got up to 115, then started to try and lose the weight again. The weight is only noticeable in my face; it is unfortunately definitely rounder than before.
I've been starting my diet again for about to weeks, but I haven't seen any weight loss. I haven't gained any more, which is nice, but I know I've been eating much better than before.

I've basically been following my previous diet plan, but it hasn't been working to the same success level as before. I net about 1200-1400 calories a day, and eat around every 3 hours. I run cross country and also cross train on the elliptical. Any ideas why I am not losing weight? Seeing the scale not move, despite all my effort has been really discouraging. Thanks for all your input!

Replies

• MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to voice my opinion that 15 pounds is not "quite a bit of weight."

I have no advice for you.
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Are you very small? 1400 net might be close to maintenance for you? I am 5'1 so I need to net way lower to lose. If not, perhaps look into intermittent fasting. I lost the last 10 pounds doing IF very quickly- my body really reacted to it.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Open your diary if you want advice on this.
    You may be eating too little. If you run and don't eat back some of the calories I bet that's it.
    You may be eating too much sodium. I see this so often

C'mon, give us a peek
  • Janicebaiton
    Janicebaiton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you monitor your body fat percentage. If you are doing a lot of exercise, it's possible that some of the weight gain could be increased muscle. Weighing scales don't tell you what changes the body makes, so may be worthing looking at your body composition for a more accurate overview of what your body is doing.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss so far, that's fabulous. :-)

Logging every little thing I eat has really helped me to lose. I would make sure you are ultra-strict with yourself about keeping your food diary.

Hope that helps and good luck! x
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Was it really necessary to comment purely for that? 15lb may not be a lot of weight to you, but it is to some people. Don't be so rude.

OP, it's hard to give you advice without seeing your food diary, but the most common problem is people not eating enough. You need to eat back your exercise calories, and with the amount to lose that you have, you don't need a hugely aggressive deficit. 10% should do it. Also make sure you are logging, weighing and counting everything accurately.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options

I just wanted to voice my opinion, that YES it is.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I had lost quite a bit of weight (125 to about 110/111) over the course of several months. I was able to maintain my new weight, but all of a sudden I began to regain. I got up to 115, then started to try and lose the weight again. The weight is only noticeable in my face; it is unfortunately definitely rounder than before.
    I've been starting my diet again for about to weeks, but I haven't seen any weight loss. I haven't gained any more, which is nice, but I know I've been eating much better than before.

I've basically been following my previous diet plan, but it hasn't been working to the same success level as before. I net about 1200-1400 calories a day, and eat around every 3 hours. I run cross country and also cross train on the elliptical. Any ideas why I am not losing weight? Seeing the scale not move, despite all my effort has been really discouraging. Thanks for all your input!

Honestly, I wouldn't freak over 5lbs. Not seeing the scale move IS frustrating, but you just have to roll with it. I find that I weigh more at night, and at the end of the week than I do on Monday mornings ( I exercise for 90-120 minutes, Mon-Fri). Just to put things into perspective, here are a few pictures I have taken at the same weight over the last 6-9 months.

8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

8696528886_a515f0a1fa.jpg
    L to R: 4/13, 3/13, 11/12 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Last time I checked, this site wasn't the exclusive province of the obese. But you're right on one count. Since you obviously have no empathy for the OP's situation, you shouldn't give her advice.

OP, I'd give it another week or two. If you're still not seeing results, you might try changing things up a little. Maybe add some sprints or HIIT to your routine, or work in some resistance training. Good luck! Sounds like you've made some great progress already!
  • TrackGirl1418
    TrackGirl1418 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I am about 5'4" or 5'5". I know that I am not overweight but I would like to lose some of my weight since we are back in racing season. I have a feeling that I may not be eating enough since I have typically been netting around 900-1100 calories a day (due to exercise burn-off); but I am afraid that I will regain more weight. I am following the same type of diet I had when I previously lost weight (I lost that weight very quickly, still seems like that isn't the case this time :cry: ), but I think its restrictive nature may have been what caused my 'relapse'.
    Although the weight may not seem like much, it can definitely make an impact when I run. I really want to get back to my past physicality, so all of your help is appreciated!
    One last thing, some of you have requested I open my diary, and I feel like it will be useful to do so. How can I do this?
    Thank you again!!
  • TrackGirl1418
    Options
    Oh another thing that may be useful. I definitely run a LOT! I am running more now than I did when I previously lost weight (this is also adding to my frustration). I typically run about 10-14 miles a day (6 days a week) depending on the workouts. I am also considering going back to swim practice in addition to this. When I previously lost weight, I lost around 15 pounds in a matter of 2.5 months. I hope this information helps. Thank you again to everyone who has replied or given me advice! :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi AmaZAYN96,

Congratulations on losing 15 pounds!

If you run such great distances you need to make sure that your properly fuel your body even if you are trying to lose weight.

The only thing required to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat, and you say you are not losing weight-could you be eating more calories than you think you are?

I am 5 ft 5 tall, have lost 22 lbs and have about ten more to go. I run and weight lift three times a week, exercise hard the other two weekdays, and walk the weekends, and I lose weight on between 1500 and 1600 calories a day. I can't even eat all my exercise calories back because it often feels like too much food.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options

More than 10% of total body weight is quite a bit, no matter how you shake it. Especially when one is in the realm of "almost there". 15 lbs for a very obese person would not be as significant. For a 125 lb woman, it's quite an accomplishment.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    given your height (5.4 or 5.5) and your current weight (115) is already on the low end of the BMI scale and the fact that you run a lot, are you sure you need to lose more weight rather then doing strength training to gain more definition around what you consider your problem areas?
  • TrackGirl1418
    Options
    I am thinking of lowering my calorie intake to 1280 calories and maybe doing a low carb diet. Do you think this will help, or just be detrimental?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    We are talking about 4 lbs here right give or take, and you say it went right to your face?? Could just be water weight or that thing woman get every month.. what did you go back to eating when you gained it? Then you said you switched back to your low calories so there was something that changed... It could even be your body stores started to refill
  • TrackGirl1418
    Options
    When I was dieting I was netting around 800-1000 calories a day. I wanted to maintain after losing the weight and upped to about 1300 calories.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Thankfully, 15 pounds IS a lot of weight to me, especially since my (current) goal weight is only 40 lbs. below my lifetime high.

You know, some people just might not like swinging around such a "small" amount of weight.

No skinny-haters, please.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Don't eat less and don't go low carb,
    but build back up to eating your correct goal calories slowly
    eat less salty snacks
    salt is your enemy, try other herbs to add flavour.

set your daily cals as mfp suggests with only a half a pound a week deficit
    eat back most of your exercise cals and log EVERYTHING.
  • goldenopp
    Options
    Definately make sure you're eating the right ammount. Too much or too litttle can affect. You. Also maybe your toneing not loseing lbs. Give it another week. Good luck!