Sugar

Options
I just started MFP today. I started logging my foods and noticed that my sugar is over what I am supposed to have. Quite a bit of it is coming from the fruits I have ate. I know there is a difference between natural sugars and added sugars...BUT... does this mean I have to cut back on my fruits even though they are natural sugars?

Anyone? Help?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason you really don't need to worry about sugar. Any kind, it's not evil and quite delicious.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason you really don't need to worry about sugar. Any kind, it's not evil and quite delicious.

+1
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition such as diabetes that requires you to limit sugar intake, you should stop monitoring sugar altogether.

Track fiber instead.
  • Amandakd84
    Amandakd84 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    **phew** that sounds great! I do not have any medical conditions. Thanks for the info :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition such as diabetes that requires you to limit sugar intake, you should stop monitoring sugar altogether.

Track fiber instead.

Agreed and I am a Type 2 Diabetic and still do not track sugar..... Only track Carbs (Proteins and Fats) Best of Luck
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was over it today too. And proteins. -sniff-

Bob said to take my weight and divide it by two, and that's how many grams of protein a day I should be getting. So about twice as much as MFP is allowing me. Heehee.

Good to see I don't have to stress too much from sugar.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I was over it today too. And proteins. -sniff-

Bob said to take my weight and divide it by two, and that's how many grams of protein a day I should be getting. So about twice as much as MFP is allowing me. Heehee.

Good to see I don't have to stress too much from sugar.

Your protein target is too low. You should aim for one gram per lb of lean mass. That's probably 120-150 depending on your composition.

Also: get a food scale. "1 cup" of chicken isn't a real measurement.
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    you need to remember that people here arent real doctors...

sugar goes straight to my hips. i lose more when i keep my sugar low. lost the most when i cut it all together. sugar is not the same carbs as potatoes or rice.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the advice I've read in this and other threads today I have removed sugar from my diary settings.

Almost 8 weeks in to my MFP journey and I'm finally FREE! That red number was making me sad for no reason!

Thank you MFP Oracle!!

:drinker:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Medical reasons aside, there's not a good reason for most people to track sugar. Go into settings and track something else instead. I hear your bones are voting for calcium.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

sugar goes straight to my hips. i lose more when i keep my sugar low. lost the most when i cut it all together. sugar is not the same carbs as potatoes or rice.

Did your doctor tell you all that?
  • oferb1
    Options
    Sorry to be the minority vote here, but sugars in excess can be very bad for you!

That said, look at your carbs more than the content of sugar within them, is a fair statement - and in regards to that, the amount of sugar that is normally in your blood is about a tablespoon, 300gr of carbs (FDA recommendation for a 2000 calorie diet) translates to a cup and half of sugar a day... that leaves the body a heck of a lot of sugar to deal with each day...

In regards to the difference between the various forms of sugar/carbs, I would look at their glycemic index, or glycemic load - as that will tell you how much they spike your blood sugar (and therefore how much insulin will be needed by your body to handle it) - and in your case the good news is that most fruit, have relatively low glycemic index (and some also have high fiber content) - almost all of them have a lower glycemic index than sugar (unlike for example whole wheat bread, that has a higher GI than suger!!!).

The reason you would want to pay attention to glycemic index/load is that the higher the GI, the more insulin the pancreas will release.
    Insulin has two major roles in the body, it diverts sugars to your cells be it muscle, brain, fat cells, etc., as an energy source, or storage (in case of fat), BUT it also prevents fat cells from releasing the energy that is stored within them, so by effect, it contributes directly to getting fat (feeding the fat cells, and preventing them from releasing their content to be consumed by the body).

Personally, I limit my carbs to 20% of my intake (so 100gr a day, on a 2000 calorie diet).
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the advice I've read in this and other threads today I have removed sugar from my diary settings.

Almost 8 weeks in to my MFP journey and I'm finally FREE! That red number was making me sad for no reason!

Thank you MFP Oracle!!

:drinker:

Same here, I removed it. One banana and it bust. No more red 'too much sugar' grief...

Still over on the carbs, tho. :-/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Here's some reading for you if you're interested. I agree with just tracking carbs. I eat quite a bit of sugar, both natural and added. It hasn't hurt my progress.

www.ajcn.org/content/65/4/908.full.pdf
    Results showed that a high sucrose content in a hypoenergetic, low-fat diet did not adversely affect weight loss, metabolism, plasma lipids, or emotional affect.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

This isn't true. Sugar doesn't go to any parts of the body. You can eat a high sugar diet and still get fit. Below pretty much debunks your theory.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics?hl=a+year+of+lifting+and+ice+cream
  • EsqDreams
    EsqDreams Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Natural or added, my body doesn’t like sugar very much! I just have bad genes, I guess! :sad:

My weight loss is painfully slow but when I add even the smallest amounts of sugar during the week, it stops my weight loss dead-cold! :angry:

Everyone is different but if you start to struggle in your weigh loss progression, you may want to revisit the “sugar” issue. Looping in your doctor should you need to revisit is always a good idea!

And as always, this is just my opinion based on my own struggle.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You have to do what's right for your body. Sugar is delicious, and there is not a thing wrong with it.

However, I have a sugar sensitivity so I have to be very careful of how much sugar I consume, and what type. For example, I eat a few pieces of fruit during each day, but I buy other items with no sugar added (not sugar free, because sugar substitute is added, and I'm sensitive to some of those as well).

Once in a great while I eat something with sugar in it, but I try not to overdo it. If I eat too many sweets, I soar and then crash.

I use Agave nectar in the place of granulated sugar. If I use Splenda, my body seems to react the same way as it does to granulated/added sugars. I can't stand Sweet and Low, and Truvia can be a bit too sweet for me.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, I was about to ask the same question.
    The fruit in my morning smoothie puts me in the red immediately.
    It's FRUIT, for goodness sakes! I'm not going to stop having it :)
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, I was about to ask the same question.
    The fruit in my morning smoothie puts me in the red immediately.
    It's FRUIT, for goodness sakes! I'm not going to stop having it :)

Exactly. MFP does not distinguish between cane sugar (sucrose) and fruit sugar (fructose). I watch the sugar just because I don't want my carbs to be all simple carbs. I personally want complex carbs because they help me more with distance running.

And also, jelly beans and M&M's can ruin my diet. Need to watch those (from a distance). :)