Help! Not losing weight????

Options
Hi I am Sarah. I started weight watchers in Jan and progressed with it until May. I lost around 35 lbs. Then I switched to MFP. Then I lost about 4 more lbs. Over the last 2-3 months I have just been working on maintaining my weight. Everything was going good. Then I decided I needed to lose 10 more pounds. My goal weight is 125 and I have had no problem maintaining 135. So I jumped back on the diet train eating around 1200 calories and exercising 5-6 times a week (running 3 miles, kickboxing, elliptical trainer, strength training here and there). I barely burn any calories now that I have lost weight. Before I would burn 500-600 calories during kickboxing now its around 250-300. Is a 1200 calorie diet to low? Am I putting my body into starvation mode? Over the past week I have been using GNC lean shakes as meal replacements for breakfast and lunch. No progress yet! Could I be gaining muscle? Should I not be drinking protein shakes? Any suggestions would be helpful to lose this last 10!!! Also debating on trying shakeology. Would this get me over my last 10 lb hump??

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes, 1200 calories is not enough for a persons. If you are active, then you need to fuel your body. What is your height, weight and age? I suspect 1700-2100 calories will be much better. Also, do you weigh and measure your foods and can your open your diary?

Also, no you aren't going into starvation mode. If anything your resting metabolic rate will slow down to compensate for the lack of food or your body will catabolize your lean body mass for fuel.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1200 calories is not enough for a persons. If you are active, then you need to fuel your body. What is your height, weight and age? I suspect 1700-2100 calories will be much better. Also, do you weigh and measure your foods and can your open your diary?

Also, no you aren't going into starvation mode. If anything your resting metabolic rate will slow down to compensate for the lack of food or your body will catabolize your lean body mass for fuel.

all of this!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    ^^This

The way MFP works, you're supposed to eat back the calories you burn from exercise. I suspect you're not.
    Also, the closer to your goal weight you are, the slower/longer it will take to lose.
  • jillebee44
    jillebee44 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Water intake can also be a factor too. Don't estimate your intake, usually people say its more when they estimate and they are WAY off! Getting the right amount of water going through your system may help too (if you aren't paying too much attention to water.)

And also what the above said. You need to eat those workout calories!!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Sarah. I started weight watchers in Jan and progressed with it until May. I lost around 35 lbs. Then I switched to MFP. Then I lost about 4 more lbs. Over the last 2-3 months I have just been working on maintaining my weight. Everything was going good. Then I decided I needed to lose 10 more pounds. My goal weight is 125 and I have had no problem maintaining 135. So I jumped back on the diet train eating around 1200 calories and exercising 5-6 times a week (running 3 miles, kickboxing, elliptical trainer, strength training here and there). I barely burn any calories now that I have lost weight. Before I would burn 500-600 calories during kickboxing now its around 250-300. Is a 1200 calorie diet to low? Am I putting my body into starvation mode? Over the past week I have been using GNC lean shakes as meal replacements for breakfast and lunch. No progress yet! Could I be gaining muscle? Should I not be drinking protein shakes? Any suggestions would be helpful to lose this last 10!!! Also debating on trying shakeology. Would this get me over my last 10 lb hump??

If you know what your maintenance calories are, just take 15-20% off of that.
  • sarah3436
    sarah3436 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for the info. I typically eat back my exercise calories but now always and I hardly ever drink water. So maybe I will start increasing that and keeping track. I just don't want to be hurting my weight loss by drinking the meal replacements.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for the info. I typically eat back my exercise calories but now always and I hardly ever drink water. So maybe I will start increasing that and keeping track. I just don't want to be hurting my weight loss by drinking the meal replacements.

Water isnt going to affect weight loss much, especially if you feel hydrated. Water helps maintain hydration levels and break down nutrients. With 10 lbs to go, you should only have a goal of 1/2 lb per week and aim to eat 50% of your exercise calories. But if you want to further look, then you need to answer my above questions.

Meal replace shakes will not hurt nor benefit you.. it's just calories.
  • sarah3436
    Options
    I am 25. I weight 135 lbs and am 5 foot 2 inches. Yes, I use a kitchen scale for all my food.
  • sarah3436
    Options
    Also, my diary should be viewable.
  • In those 1200 calories a day, how much of those calories are carbs?

1200 calories in carbs probably isn't helping, try adjusting your carb intake to about 18% of your daily calories, take in the rest in healthy fats and protein.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I am 25. I weight 135 lbs and am 5 foot 2 inches. Yes, I use a kitchen scale for all my food.

for reference, I'm 41, just under 135 lbs, 5'2", and I'm still losing weight, eating approx 1700 per day. Fuel your workouts - you don't need to eat so low as 1200
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    In those 1200 calories a day, how much of those calories are carbs?

1200 calories in carbs probably isn't helping, try adjusting your carb intake to about 18% of your daily calories, take in the rest in healthy fats and protein.

I'd rather cut off a limb than curtail my carb intake to 18%. the new rules of lifting for women has the breakdown at 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

why on earth would anyone only want to eat 18% carbs?!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Based on stats, you should be around 1750 calories. I would suggest concentrating a bit more on weight training than cardio. Also, adjust macro's to around 40% carbs, 30% fats and proteins.

And don't listen to that 18% carbs. It's completely unnecessary unless you have a medical issue.
  • sarah3436
    Options
    Thanks. I was wondering if I was eating to low of calories and stalling my weight loss. However, I was thinking 1750 would maintain my weight. Do you think this will help me lose?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks. I was wondering if I was eating to low of calories and stalling my weight loss. However, I was thinking 1750 would maintain my weight. Do you think this will help me lose?

Nah, 1750 is pretty basic. Most women I know lose at 1700-2100. In fact, see below. 500+ women who eat 1800 + calories to lose. I will say, it may take a few weeks for your body to adjust, but if you want add 200 calories a week until you hit 1750 calories. That will mitigate the water weight increases a bit. But you can full expect to gain about 2-5 lbs of water weight. Don't worry, it's temporary.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day