carb cycling anyone?

Options
interested in maybe looking into carb cycling. i tend to go over my carbs, usually from natural sources but still....i was thinking carb cycling might force me into finding lower carb options. i would plan to have 3 low days, 3 high days, and one no carb day. my split, from what i researched would be:

Low Carb:
1600 calories
165 protein
68gm fat
82 carbs

High Carb:
1600 calories
1929 protein
41 fat
192 carbs

does that sound right? i'm 5'2" and about 137lbs.

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    If you want to dabble in it by all means, give it a shot.. you won't know how you react unless you try.

The purpose of carb cycling is to allow you to create a deficit on days that you are less active, or days that you aren't pushing as hard so your energy levels won't take a hit.

If you have issues going over on carbs, why dont you just plan to keep the intake consistent in a deficit, but pre-plan the amount of carbs you intake?

If you look at my diary, you'll see im within 5+g for each of my macros on a daily basis.

Not arguing, just good to assess before taking measures such as carb cycling if they can be avoided.
  • I definitely agree that it would be easier to just give myself a set amount and run with it. I've done that by setting my macros but without following a 'plan' I'm not following my macros. It's more of a discipline thing for me and I think once I force myself into lower carb days it might be easier for me to maintain them overall. I'm currently plateaued at my intake levels so I'm hoping carb cycling will give me a little push. That and I'm trying to get a little stricter to look better for vaca at the end of October.
  • musclemama78
    Options
    I have done it in the past. It worked well but I also calorie cycled with it as well. That seems to do more for me. Also eat most of your carbs pre/post workout. Stick to fruit, oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice...
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly, I don't think this is going to do anything. Add calorie cycling to it, lower carbs on low carbs day, lower protein to 1g/lb. If 1600 kcal is your TDEE -x%, try doing ie. 4 days on 1400, two days on 2000 (high carb refeed), two days 1450. Cycle calories the way it's still 1600/day, but spread unevenly over week.

Here's my carb cycling chart to give you a general idea about cycling, hope you find it helpful:

yld8.jpg

jq8d.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is it the LeanGains guy that is the go-to for this kind of hard-day/rest-day cycling of carbs and calories?