Those workout wristband thingys...

Options
dippy93
dippy93 Posts: 3
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
The wristband thingys, do they really help out? I've been reading reviews of brands, but of course, are conflicting. I have been thinking about getting the UP by Jawbone, rather than the Fitbit or the Nike Fuelband. If I could get any input, that would be awesome before spending any money on anything, if I decided to buy one.

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what you're wanting it for.

I prefer a Heart Rate Monitor for working out. The Jawbone, and similar devices, are good monitors for how much activity you're getting in a day, but if you're wanting something to help you monitor how hard you're working during a workout, a heart rate monitor is a better investment for about the same amount of money. However, if you're wanting to see how much activity you get overall throughout the day, or your goal is to reach X number of steps per day, something like a Fitbit or other smart pedometer is best.

I'm not a fan of the wristbands personally because they aren't very accurate for me. They measure your "steps" by movement of the non dominant arm, so if you do a lot of arm movements while sitting on your butt at work (like I do), they aren't very accurate.
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ive got a free pedometer app on my phone you can walk or run using it. Its pretty accurate to and you can set daily step goals. Its called Accupedo and doesn't cost a penny. I tend to use free apps first, then when they dont work hard enough for me I go and spend some money on other equipment if i think its necessary.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what you're wanting it for.

I prefer a Heart Rate Monitor for working out. The Jawbone, and similar devices, are good monitors for how much activity you're getting in a day, but if you're wanting something to help you monitor how hard you're working during a workout, a heart rate monitor is a better investment for about the same amount of money. However, if you're wanting to see how much activity you get overall throughout the day, or your goal is to reach X number of steps per day, something like a Fitbit or other smart pedometer is best.

I'm not a fan of the wristbands personally because they aren't very accurate for me. They measure your "steps" by movement of the non dominant arm, so if you do a lot of arm movements while sitting on your butt at work (like I do), they aren't very accurate.

I second this. If you want to estimate calories burned: HRM. If you just want to know how much you move: fitbit or the like. I was interested in calories burned and time spent actually actively working out. As well as how my heart rate improved over time with better shape.
    I got a heart rate monitor that counts calories burned for about $80 new. It's more accurate than the calorie estimations on MFP. If you have a good estimation of your BMR, then you don't really need something you wear all day.
  • cmlemon1
    cmlemon1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying my UP band but it was a gift. It monitors your sleep and movement. You can sync it with My Fitness Pal and add detailed meals and exercise information. I am still learning how best to use this. I do wish it had a heart rate monitor on it. I would try the free apps first and get a decent heart rate monitor and go from there before buying one of these bands.
This discussion has been closed.