Running Frequency

Options
Hi - I've recently been working through the c25k training plan recently, and am currently in week 5. (My first non-interval run is coming up - yikes!) I'm kinda taking it at my own pace since I'm rather heavy and am repeating some weeks/workouts until I don't feel like I'm going to die at the end. I don't want it to be so terrible that I quit.
That approach seems to be pretty good actually, since I kinda-sorta look forward to running days (a little bit). I don't exactly enjoy the action of running - my legs get tired and I frequently wonder whether I'm going to finish - but I enjoy the "me time" outside and LOVE the way I feel so "up" during and afterwards. All feels right with the world. :) I assume this must be the cocktail of endorphines and such coursing through me. I don't get that kind of feeling from any other workout I've done except maybe long hikes (which probably has more to do with the scenery).
So... much to my surprise, I find myself wanting to run on my "off days." The problem is that this doesn't seem to work well as my performance suffers quite a bit. I've tried running shorter intervals or doing speed or hill work instead of a "normal" run for whatever week I'm in, but it doesn't seem to matter. If I don't take a day off, I can't seem to finish the "normal" workout on the next day. I'm forced to conclude that for now, my body needs at least one recovery day between runs.
My question for more experienced runners - especially those who have come from previously more sedentary lifestyles - is at what point where you able to handle more frequent runs. Most runners I know can run several days in a row, even if the length varies. Was there a certain distance you hit, or after losing X amount of weight, or once you could run for so long? I'm sure this varies, but I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been running, consistently, for around 6 years now and I'd say it was only after running for a couple of years that I'd run on consecutive days. I should also add that I didn't start running until I was in my 50s and probably approached more conservatively than others might.

Unless I'm in training for a specific race my running is typically 4 days per week (Tue-Thu-Sat & Sun) with Sunday being my longest, slowest run of the week.

Listen to your body, there are a lot of adaptations going on when you first start running.(The urge to run is powerful - it's hardwired into us as it's one of the skills that allowed us to survive as a species) On your non-running days cross train (strength, swimming, biking, walking.....pretty much anything low impact) and I'd suggest focusing solely on endurance right now, speed work can come later.

Have fun!
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it's helpful to hear what others have experienced to get an idea of what my road ahead may look like. Today's one of my non-running days, and I'm feeling the itch.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't run on your off days just yet. Once you get some expirience under your belt you can start adding more run days to your routine. I would suggest instead going for a walk. Since you like the outdoors so much a nice log scenic walk can be your form of cross training. If you want to make the walk a little more intense, take some weights with you or walk at a faster pace than you normally would. You don't want to get too crazy too soon and then injure yourself. Listen to your body and have fun!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You need time to recover. Almost all of the people who run every day also use some days every week to recover - they just run a short, easy run those days as they are trained well enough to do so. Personally, I run 5-6 days a week, as at 51 I again find a day or two off is the recovery I need.

As a newer runner you likely need more days totally off. I ran for quite a while before I ran any consecutive days.