Running - the one thing that has always done me in

Options
__Di__
__Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
One of the only things I detest when racing, is how many of the competitors bolt off at the "go", if I try to sprint off it does me right in and always has done. I decided a few weeks back (it's okay, it has only taken me 38 years to realize :laugh: ) that no more sprinting off for me, I am going to start off steady.

I have found I naturally speed up during the course of the race without putting any extra effort in, so it is about time I started running to my own style rather than other people's I think and if that means many run away from me at the start, then so be it.

To make all this even more peculiar, I used to be a sprinter, so by rights, I should be well at ease bolting off at the start of races, but it never has seemed to work that way, my HR shoots through the roof and is unable to settle down into a good rhythm even if I slow down to a slow jog - but if I start off slowly, I pick up the pace a little later on and find it much, much more comfortable and am at ease.

Anybody else have similar?

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS set off too fast; running, cycling, swimming,everything. It's one reason why I like to work out with my husband, he's a brilliant pacemaker lol
  • tashaboo00
    tashaboo00 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just recently noticed the same thing about myself. I went running with my boyfriend and tried to bolt like I used to do when I was younger. I could barely catch my breath for the rest of the run. I also noticed if I start off slower and work my way up I can keep going longer.
  • __Di__
    Options
    ahh glad it is not just me :laugh:

Going to try out this starting off without sprinting during a race in the not too distant future, gonna report back my findings :drinker:
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    It's pretty common actually, your mind is geared for competition and when people bolt off the starting line, our brains automatically kick and and say GO GO GO. It's human nature>
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That was my biggest problem when it came to running. You should be able to keep a sustainable pace, which is harder to do than it seems. Haha.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting for my breathing to get easier.....:sad:
  • Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I actually start by walking as I use that as a warm up. Wouldn't fancy ever starting fast from cold.
  • wibblefps
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, on any given day whether I can run two miles or ten depends entirely on how fast I start. I used to be a sprinter too but for weight loss and tone, distance running is awsome, possibly only beaten by cycling.

I had to actually watch my reflection in windows as I ran before I realised that my early running stride was much longer that I thought and only then did I learn to shorten it and slow down. Once I got that under control it became much easier to run distance and I was less prone to cramping.

Shop windows are soo good for seeing what your running 'really' looks like!
  • Granada88
    Granada88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's all about training. When I did the Music City Half Marathon a few years back, there was all these people that just blew my doors off at the first mile. My pride was getting kicked BAD. But, by mile 6, and mile 7... I started passing these people back...they were shot! Then I realized that I was doing it pretty close to right.

After I had gotted my chip time data in the mail later on, I seen where I was actually running megative splits throughout the entire race, and that I ran mile 13 stronger and harder than I had the entire time. It felt GOOD! Just keep your focus, and keep your eyes on the prize!! :-)
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I hate it when I start out slow instead of REALLY slow... :laugh:
  • __Di__
    Options
    Yeah, I hate it when I start out slow instead of REALLY slow... :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: don't be daft 55, you are not slow! :flowerforyou:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I raced myself today, and just the mindset of beating a previous time had me gasping for air after 500m. I slowed down, but still beat my old 5k time by 2 minutes. I probably would have been more comfortable going slower and at a steady pace, but the idea was to work out what pace I might race at. Before I actually sign up for a race :smile:
    Next time I will try starting a little slower...
  • cwsikes
    Options
    Some of those guys are sprinting off at the start for a race strategy. I know for any 5k around here that my husband thinks he can win, he will make sure to start especially fast for the first half mile or so just to see who is going to try to hang or to see how fast the competition will be running. I'm only a mere mortal runner and still like to start off quickly the first half mile or so just to get some breathing room around me but it does take some control to keep your heart rate from going crazy!