LOTS of running questions

Options
Hi Everyone!
I signed up for a half to mix up my (nonfunctional) workout routine. I was training and then got injured about a month ago. I'm just getting back in to things but have a lot of questions. Any advice is appreciated!

1. Where do you run? How do you keep track of your mileage?

2. Is running on the treadmill THAT bad?

3. How do you pass the time on long runs?

4. Where do you stash water on long runs?

5. Does your nose run uncontrollably like mine? If so, how do you deal with it? (this happens with exercise, regardless of whether I'm indoors or out)

6. When do you run? I am not a morning exerciser, but I don't want to run outside by myself after dark...

I look forward to your answers! :drinker:

Replies

• dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Q: 1. Where do you run? How do you keep track of your mileage?
    A: I have several different places I run; the HS track on my short runs, in my neighborhood if it is an after dark run, downtown if it is a long run, and then just to mix things up I will go and run the nature trails. I track my milage with a monitor watch.

Q: .2. Is running on the treadmill THAT bad?
    A: I perfer the outdoors but in a pinch the treadmill is fine. Just a little boring!

Q: 3. How do you pass the time on long runs?
    A: if my daughter goes with me we spend the time catching up if I am alone YEA TO THE IPOD!

Q: 4. Where do you stash water on long runs?
    A: Don't.... just wait until I get back.

Q: 5. Does your nose run uncontrollably like mine? If so, how do you deal with it? (this happens with exercise, regardless of whether I'm indoors or out)
    A: not that I have noticed

Q: 6. When do you run? I am not a morning exerciser, but I don't want to run outside by myself after dark...
    A: I have to work around my work schedule, the activities of three kids and the schedule of a husband who works 16 hour days so my running times vary.
  • AlexTCasas
    Options
    1) I run from home. I use the GPS on my Android to keep track of my mileage. I used to drive with the car and count the miles before that.
    2) It is not that bad, it is easier on the body but much harder on the mind..
    3) I listen to music, think about different things, etc,,,once you get the hang of it, it is a relaxing experience.
    4) On long runs > 1 hour, I bring gatorade with me. You have to drink something with sugar, otherwise you may crash. For runs less than 1 hour, you can drink after you finish.
    5) I do not have a problem with my nose.
    6) I hate to run in the morning, although I have done it. I usually run in the afternoon. In winter, I have no choice but to run on treadmills..
  • shanacleo
    shanacleo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Running is not my strong point :)
    However, I do like to do interval training when i run. Jog, sprint, hills, it's all good!

I also like to change up my routine. Outside or inside and different routes. Oh! and i never, ever run at night or early dusk. Too sketchy and not safe.

Women's health magazine has a really helpful running article: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/run-walk-program
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options

I'm lucky in that I have a a couple of large parks near me so I run around those. I need to run on grass atm as I'm just getting back into it and every time I start up again I have problems with shin splints for a few weeks, so no pavement for me.

I am currently using Adidas micoach (on iPhone) to track my runs and have used MapMyRun too.

No, though if you have issues with shin splints or lower back pain it's only marginally better than running on pavement or tarmac. Grass or sand is better. Not to mention I find treadmill running very dull and boring.

I just like to zone out and listen to the world around me. I've never had an issue with passing the time.

I have a hydration belt which carries a couple of bottles and/or gels and is designed for runners.

5. Does your nose run uncontrollably like mine? If so, how do you deal with it? (this happens with exercise, regardless of whether I'm indoors or out)

Yes. I try to remember to take tissues but if I forget and it gets too bad (this is going to sound gross) I block one nostril then blow out the other while leaning off the path (but still running), repeating with the other if required. Its a trick well used by cyclists and runners as it doesn't slow you down too much like fumbling with a tissue can. I make sure to do this in an area that isn't too well used though!

6. When do you run? I am not a morning exerciser, but I don't want to run outside by myself after dark...

I run in the afternoon/evening. I try to go as soon after work as I can and before it gets dark. I don't like running alone in the dark either but I like my bed too much in the mornings. I do have some friends who are at my pace that I can run with too.
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    1) I typically runn outside weather permitting and I use a Garmin watch which keeps distance, pace, heart rate and other good stuff. I know of some people that use mapmyrun.com for distance.

2) The treadmill isn't that bad if you need to be inside. Sometimes I'll run at our community center (13 laps to a mile) you're literally running in circles:laugh: . I do this to change it up in the winter time but the constant turning can be cause for injury.

3) IPOD!!!! Fast paced songs to keep me going.

4) I drop water off before my run at certain points or plan my route past a gas station and take a couple of bucks. In cooler weather I can go a ways before needing it. It's the 80-90 degrees that I need to make sure I have something every 2-3 miles. Also on longer runs make sure you fuel your body with GU Chomps, Shotblocks or a gel so you don't bonk.

5) This doesn't normally happen to me.

6) I am not a morning person so the majority of my exercising is done in the evenings (unfortunately most races are not :cry: ). I'm fortunate enough to live in a town that has minimal crime and is pretty safe to be out at night. I do run routes that are higher traffic and in town as opposed to my long runs (during the day) which is along a canal path, country roads and town. You could always run with a cell phone in the evenings and keep one earbud out if you're running with an I-Pod so that you're more aware of your surroundings.

Hope this helps and Happy Running :flowerforyou:
  • tater8589
    Options
    Mine are out of order, short term memory sucks lol

my nose runs too, if i have to i have used my shirt sleeve, or a towel (its gonna be washed same day anyway)
    You can pull up google maps and map a run, i have 2 loops around my neighborhood that together =1.5 miles
    i don't like the treadmill cause i don't hold a pace well and tend to run up on the edges
    gotta love the ipod
    all my "long" runs are in cirlcles so I can leave my water at the beginning/end point
    I run most of the time in the morning cause its organized with my unit at work.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    1. I run on the streets in the neighborhood or on the treadmill. I use Cardio Trainer for the Droid.
    2. No. It's just boring.
    3. Right now, I listen to C25k podcasts.
    4. I have a Camelbak.
    5. I don't have that problem
    6. After my baby goes to bed so after 8pm. Otherwise, it's after I do my weight training at the gym in the AM.
  • debbiecrouse
    Options
    I use an app on my iphone called runkeeper.com and listen to music
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I run a mix of roads & trails.
    The roads I use my car, some trails I GPS or the park map gives how long they are. My girlfriend just found a way to track distance on Google earth, she is supposed to show me how.

Treadmills aren’t bad, I just find them terribly boring so I avoid them at all costs.

I just run. No Ipod or anything, think about life & enjoy the scenery.

For long runs I bought a water belt. Water & some energy gels.

Sleeves come in handy or just pinch one side & blow.

I run after work & before it gets dark. Sometimes they are pretty tight. So far I have avoided running at night, but I have a reflective vest & headlamp should I need to run in the dark, which I likely will training for my marathon this winter.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

I run around the streets and trails near my home, and use Runkeeper on my android phone to track my mileage. Before I had that I used to plot my routes on map my run.

No, but it is boring and isn't like running on roads and trails. I would suggest that a least a portion of your training should be on the surface that the half marathon will be on.

Because I run outside there is lots to see. I think about what needs doing for the rest of the day week/make mental lists/zone out.

I don't take water for anything less than 10k. For over 10k I have one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Mizuno_Endurabelt_Waistpack_With_Bladder/5360052447/

I try and take a tissue with me, or use my sleeve, or the pinch and blow method.

In the evenings, or during the day at weekends.

Happy running,

Erika
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate your input! Glad to see I'm not the only one who finds the treadmill boring, but I needed it in a pinch last night as it was after dark when I got around to running.

(It was dark when I fell so I'm super paranoid about ending up on crutches again for 3 weeks)

I was told to bring/carry as little things as possible with me or they'll mess up my stride/gait. I have a Droid phone and I have Cardio Trainer but I found that to not be very reliable as a pedometer/mileage tracker. I'll look in to the other apps. I guess I could spring for the $250 GPS watches, maybe as reward as I get closer to my goal :bigsmile:

I have a sample of that Gu stuff-I have to say it doesn't sound that appealing but I suppose when I'm up to doing 8 or 9 miles I'll need it.

Have you ever listened to audio books? I was thinking that might be a way to pass the time when my music just isn't doing it for me. But I have no idea where to get digital ones? I used to get books on tape/CD at the library...

Thx again!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I usually run from my house on recreational paths. Sometimes I get up into the mountains and do some trail runs when I am not training for a particular race. I keep track of my mileage with RunKeeper.com and with my Polar FT60 HRM and GPS unit.

Don't know. Don't have access to one and never use but. However, it is very different from running on the roads.

Looking around, being in my head with my thoughts. I don't really even notice the time. I don't listen to music. I like being aware of my suroundings to much.

I carry water in a camelback single water bottle holder. It also has little pouches for my cell phone and snacks.

Mine does. I purchased running specific gloves that have a stoft fabric between your thumb and finger to wipe your nose. Then I wash them with my running clothes after each run.

I run first thing in the morning between 4 and 4:30 am. I use a headlamp and reflective clothing. It is the only time I can get out.

Good Luck.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    I prefer outdoors (track for speed-work, trail & road for short & long runs). I have a Garmin GPS to keep track of my mileage.

2. Is running on the treadmill THAT bad? No it is not bad at all as long as you make sure you are keeping a good form. It is nice on your body:)

3. How do you pass the time on long runs? I am used to it.. it is "my" time and love being out there. Some of my friends use Ipods.. I am good without..

4. Where do you stash water on long runs? I have my husband and kids meet me at half way point (if i am doing more than 16 miles [usually on the weekend]). Otherwise i just run with a small 8oz bottle.

5. Does your nose run uncontrollably like mine? If so, how do you deal with it? (this happens with exercise, regardless of whether I'm indoors or out) Only during the winter time

I am an early morning runner 5:30 am. My husband usually takes care of the kids when they wake up (breakfast, ready for school), as he is an evening runner (after his work) and i take care of them in the evening when we get back from work (dinner, bath and bed).

Happy running
  • ttbayarea
    ttbayarea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    During the week in the gym on the Treadmill. On the weekend I hit a near by trail that is ~9 miles from my city to the next. There is an App for my iPhone called RunKeeper. It will track your mileage via GPS and tell you how many calories you've burned and your pace. I love it.

Yes. I much prefer being outdoors but not on the street. I much prefer a trail where I don't have to worry so much about cars and stoplights, etc. Running outdoors give your a change of scenery, changes in pavement and elevation, and weather.

Often just to music on my ipod/iphone. Running also gives me time to think and clear my mind. I often find that if I've had a bad that week it can also fuel a good run and feel much better about whatever was bothering me.

I have both a runners water belt and a hand held water bottle with a strap to slide my hand through. If your training for a 5k, 10, 1/2 marathon, train with whatever you plan to take with you on your race.

I find my nose runs when its cold outside. I have a long sleeved running shirt with a whole for your thumb. I often stuff a tissue in there or just use that extra piece of sleeve that my palm and thumb go through.

Recruit a friend or a neighbors dog (I'm sure the neighbor and dog will love your for it). Find a popular public trail where you won't be alone if someone were to attempt to assault you. It also may not hurt to buy a can of pepper spray and get a quick lesson on how to effectively use if if the need arose. I know some women who run with a whistle to make noise if they needed to. Sporting goods stores also sell head lamps and reflector lights you can attach to clothing or reflective vests if you'll be running in the dark.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I run a few places. On trails by my girlfriend's house, on the sidewalk, and on the treadmill.

Nope. I like the treadmill because it helps me keep a steady pace. However you DO have to mix it up with actual on-the-ground running since it uses slightly different muscles. Running 5k on a treadmill doesn't exactly equate to running a 5k outside. The bonus though is that the treadmills at my gyms have TV's attached, so I can watch movies - great for 1.5 hour+ runs.

In a race - Find a nice butt and follow it.
    On the treadmill - watch a movie
    On the streets - blast music and look around
    On the trails - look for pretty things and appreciate the world

I don't

Sometimes. I either do snot rockets (an important running skill - practice!), or I carry a tissue.

Usually around 5pm-7pm. Early if its trail runs with the gf.
  • naguilar210
    Options
    I go to the gym everyday, just use the treadmill counters to track mileage

Not for me, doesnt bore me.

When Im running for more than 30 minutes, I just listen to my ipod, one album all the way through, download OLD albums that I used to like as a kid or teenager and listen to them and laugh LOL

Since Im on the treadmill, its always next to me.

N/A

Run evening, after work about 5:30 PM
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

I mix it up, sometimes the high school tracks, along the canals, paved trails and the treadmill. I have several courses that I take depending on how many miles I'm trying to get in for the day. I use a nike + to keep track of my mileage, as long as it's calibrated it's pretty accurate but a GPS program is best. IF you use a nike+ I would recommend using a track to calibrate.

Running on the treadmill isn't bad BUT it is highly recommended that you run on terrain similar to your race for training. The treadmill propels you and basically forces you to go at a steady pace but on land you have to do all that propelling and pace work on your own and training solely on a dreadmill you might find a race difficult. Besides the treadmill can get quite boring.

I will admit, my longest runs have not gone past 10 or so but I find changing the route, even running it in reverse sometimes keeps the scenery fresh.

I carry two water bottles and make my routes in places where I can stop for water or a running emergency restroom break, Starbucks are easy and they have filtered water to fill my waters back up with.

Depends on the season, during allergy season here I wish, but come October - May when the weather is cooler my nose is like a faucet and unfortunately there aren't many options, we just had this discussion on the MFP runners club post and most everyone seems to use the shirt they are wearing unless you are a pro at snot rockets.....:noway:

I run at all times of the day but find that I have my best runs in the afternoon between the hours of 3-7 pm and although I have some good am runs my pace suffers because I'm just not quite awake.

I would recommend visiting websites like runnersworld.com or active.com there are a ton of programs and advice on everything you could possibly want to know about running! I find runnersworld.com to be a great quick source for information on training, injury prevention and what kind of food I might want to use as fuel the longer my runs get.

Good Luck :drinker:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    1. Where do you run? How do you keep track of your mileage? I use to run a mile loop at the local college around the campus and just keep track of how many laps. I now use my Garmin Forerunner. The Forerunner lets me go where ever my feet take me and I know my mileage. Lots of people use the Nike + System - I am looking into it since I now have and Ipod and the Garmin is bulky.

2. Is running on the treadmill THAT bad? Not with the TV in front of me.

3. How do you pass the time on long runs? Music, thoughts and prayer, or just enjoy peace and quiet.

4. Where do you stash water on long runs? I use a running hydration belt and carry it with me.

5. Does your nose run uncontrollably like mine? If so, how do you deal with it? (this happens with exercise, regardless of whether I'm indoors or out) Sometimes-I keep a tissue in my belt too!

6. When do you run? I am not a morning exerciser, but I don't want to run outside by myself after dark... I HATE MORNINGS! Lunch for short runs or right after work.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

I run on a paved path, sidewalks and occasionally in the street. I use a MapMyWalk app from iPhone. It is the same as MapMyRun, but cheaper!

My treadmill saves my life on really busy days or on really hot days. It is boring, so I have it in fornt of a TV and I just watch a movie.

I am just starting out again after several injuries. The longest run I can do right now is 4 miles and that was outdoors where passing the time is easier.

I just load up on water before I go, but again my runs are not that long.

Only in cold weather and that is what sleeves are for, right?

I run after I drop off my kids at school, so like 9:30ish. I HATE mornings. If I am up before 6:30am you can be assured that something is very wrong!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i run from my office along the intracoastal waterway or in the park on the paved sidewalks or along the bike path(paved) along another section of the intracoastal - i have been using RUNKEEPER.COM on my iphone since august 2009 and i believe it is available with other carriers/phones...i love love love it....

i personally prefer outside running...i hate the treadmill and avoid it at all costs.....

i wear my iphone/ipod and listen to music...i think about my day and my plans and my goals...i love the solitude and "alone" time....if i have the opportunity to run with a friend we usually catch up chatting about life...

on my long runs when i was training for my 1/2 marathon i would carry 2 bottles with me in my hands but when i got to over 6+ miles i would usually carry one water with and then stash 1 bottle at every three miles or so in the bushes....i typically would do out and back runs so i would have 2 at some spots depending on how long the run was for the out and the back

no problem with runny nose that i can think of...lots and lots of sweat though...i use my sleeve and my shirt bottom to mop as i run

when i was training for the 1/2 i would run 3 times a week from work usually 3-4miles each time and then i would do my "long" runs on sunday morning first thing - at the water by 630-7am and i could be done and home by 9...now i'm doing the c25k program to actually run an entire 5k an i run twice a week from work....it usually only takes me 30-40 mins for each session and i'm home by 630...

good luck with your training......hope you have fun with it....