Walking the Dog Part Two

Options
I walk the dogs everyday, my dogs, other peoples dogs when they cannot get out. Walking is the best exercise there is, It is low impact More so it gets me outside, in the fresh air, I like the off leash trails and parks. Its great for the dogs.
If you don't have a dog find someone who does , who can't get out that often and walk their dog,

Here is a list of benefits walking provides.
Walking - king of exercises

"Reduce Cholesterol"

"Improve Cardiovascular Fitness"

"Improve Blood Circulation"

AND FOR ME:
Psychologically, walking generates an overall feeling of well being and can relieve depression, anxiety and stress by producing endorphins, the body's natural tranquilliser. A brisk walk will relax you and stimulate your thinking.

Reduces High Blood Pressure

However the site I discovered does advises those those with weight problems, blood pressure and heart problems , cholesterol, smokers , pre existing injuries to check with the doctor first

Replies

• 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I walked two of my dogs yesterday, got a full body (including the mind) workout from it. Did some leash jumping, some running, some walking, some hide and seek, etc. Typical day walking two Belgian shepherds.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I love it. My doggies are already old but still love long walks. :) It calms me down and just gives that happiness and peace :)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I can't believe the difference (negative) from not walking my aging dog so much anymore. We used to spend an hour at the park, and go for 3 half hour walks every day. Not to mention the walks my husband took him on. Now we're down to maybe half of that. I had to nearly double my running to stay in similar shape.
    I get to take my neighbours dog running sometimes, and that's always an adventure :happy:

As for walking being the best exercise, meh, it's great, but why walk when you can RUN? :tongue:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    While I agree it's a great exercise I have to disagree with this
    Walking is the best exercise there is,

There is a point of diminishing returns- or rather no returns. Walking is a great way to get started- but at some point- you have to up the intensity if you expect to see more results (if results are what you are after) ... now- if general health and well being are you goal? then yes- walking or swimming are my top 2 things. They make people happy- they are relaxing- and they get folks moving. But if you are expecting results- there needs to be a time when you have to push yourself- and just walking more won't cut it.

That being said- i'm in pretty great shape- and I still go for walks... mostly with my BF after a super big meal. :) relaxing- good family time- good R and R- good mental health.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I walk my two dogs a minimum of 60 minutes every day. It's my zen, prozac, whatever you want to call it. It clears my head, I get a little sun, and I just enjoy watching them. They are in complete bliss, loving life, just on a simple walk.

P.S. I'm a crazy dog lady.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Sunday is here and it is another day to walk the dogs, through the trails , up and down the hills, another day to relax and breath the fresh air and escape from it all.
    There is no other exercise more enjoyable than walking the dogs.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Monday, a super two hike in the woods today. Unfortunately we missed the Teddy Bears Picnic.