Advice to show my friend

Options
Hi all,

I was just hoping to show some comments to my friend that will help her while shes struggling.

She is 23, 5'6-5'7 and weighs 190lbs. She started counting calories and working out 2-3 times a week a couple months ago. But has not lost any weight.
When I asked how much she was eating, she told me about 1000-1200 calories. I informed her that that amount was not enough, especially on days she worked out. So she has taken my advice and upped her calories to anywhere between 1400-1800. However, now she is gaining weight and becoming a bit discouraged.

I feel I was right to suggest she up her calories, especially for her height/weight and the workouts she is doing. But it may help if she hears it from other people who might have more experience than I do. Any other advice that may help her see a decline?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Have her weigh and measure all her food. And log it. I'm guessing the "about" 1000-1200 is a rough guesstimate of a number that's considerably higher, and now that she's upped her calories, she's now eating above maintenance.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Have her weigh and measure all her food. And log it. I'm guessing the "about" 1000-1200 is a rough guesstimate of a number that's considerably higher, and now that she's upped her calories, she's now eating above maintenance.

Yeah, she's probably not logging accurately.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There's no way she's accurately logging.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure her macros are set properly. If she is overeating carbs, for example, she could be retaining extra water.
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am the same age, only about two inches taller, and about the same weight.

I've learned that there are many other factors with weight loss than just calories and exercise.

What is her lifestyle like? What kind of job does she have? Is she stressed out?
  • pierreborg86
    pierreborg86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What workouts is she doing?
  • danamarich
    danamarich Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Chances are she's not logging EVERYTHING (like logs her meals, but neglects when she snacks, or has bev's like juice, pop, coffee with cream/sugar, alcohol, etc)

I was watching a show called "Secret Eaters" and people in a family estimated their meal calories correctly but didn't account for their constant snacking. When they totaled everything they ate and drank, their total calories for the day doubled and tripled what they estimated.

I agree with lifestyle factors as well- does she get enough sleep? Is she constantly stressed?
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Have her set up an MFP account and then friend each other. It will help her to log her track her calories easier, and to gain support from others as well. It sounds like she is guessing at either the calories she is eating or at the number she is burning possibly both. If she logs accurately for a few weeks and still gains for no apparent reason then have her see a dr. there are a number of factors that can cause unexplained weight gain.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    inaccurate logging would be my first guess too.

there are some interesting videos on youtube of people logging their supposed calories only to find out that in reality they were only tracking 2/3 to 1/2 of the calories they were actually eating.

This is why a food scale is so important.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

To answers some questions that were asked,
    She does a bootcamp class twice a week (45 minutes of pretty intense circuit training - I do this class too).
    She also hikes and goes for long walks several times a week.

She is pretty much on her feet all day with her job and as far as I know she doesn't have an overly large amount of stress and she sleeps fine.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk

This will give her the basics.

Tell her to invest in a scale and use MFP if she isn't already.

She can also watch part 2 of the series I linked above.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    How long has she been upping her calories? There is a good 2-3 week period where you need to let your body adjust. Think of ti this way - if you're not eating enough so the body is storing everything, then you give it more, it going to keep storing until this way of eating becomse consistent/routine so the "starvation" reaction can end.

Considering she's on her feet all day and fairly active, she may need even more than 1800 caloreis a day but make sure she's consistent with that first and see how her weight does in another month.

As someone who spent her whole adult life obese, please tell her to never give up!! She'll regret it if she does.

Oh and don't forget about all the crazy reasons our weight fluctuates! Monthly cycle, high sodium, new more intense exercises, not enough water, etc

P.S. Take body measurements and progress pics
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually up my calories whenever I hit a plateau. There have been times that I temporarily put on 1-3 lbs. It always comes off plus some though, It just takes a bit of time. I eat between 1600-2200 depending on how active I am. Stats are 5'8 and currently 178 :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    2 to 3 weeks is not a good indication. If she increased calories, she will have water weight. Additionally, if a lot of those calories are carbs, then she will store more glycogen. And like other said, is she measuring and weighin her foods.