Romaine Tacos

Options
emalethbane
emalethbane Posts: 11 Member
I LOVE this recipe! I stumbled on the idea of using Romaine Lettuce leaves instead of taco shells and it has made all the difference! I also make my own Pico De Gallo and it is so easy and wonderful!
YOU WILL NEED:
97% lean ground beef, 1 lb
Low sodium taco seasoning
Non fat sour cream
Green peppers, 1 large
Onion, 1 medium
Pico De gallo (Large tomato, purple or yellow onion, green onion tops, jalapeño, fresh garlic minced, cilantro, lime juice, low sodium salt, pepper)
Romaine Lettuce bunch, strong healthy leaves
Optional: glove for chopping the jalapeño :)
DIRECTIONS:
Start cooking 1 lb of the lean ground beef and follow the directions on the taco seasoning package.
Start sautéing 1 sliced bell pepper and 1 sliced yellow onion in Pam or other pan spray or low fat butter or oil of your choice.
Rinse and separate the romaine leaves. Chop off the white ends about 1-1 1/2 inches from the bottom.
Pico De Gallo:
CHOP to small pieces:
Tomato, 1 whole large
Onion (Purple or yellow), 1 whole medium
Fresh cilantro, about 2 1/2 tbsp worth
Green onion top, about 4 stalks
Mince garlic if fresh cloves, about 3 sections of a clove, otherwise, 1 tbsp minced garlic
Jalapeño, 1/4 of a hollowed pepper (you might want to use a glove of some kind while chopping this!)
ADD tomato, onion, green onion top, garlic, jalapeño and cilantro together into a bowl and mix. Add lime juice to taste (about 3-4 tbsp). Salt and pepper to taste.
Allow the Pico to set in the refrigerator until the rest is cooked.
Once the taco meat and onions and peppers are cooked and ready to serve, use the fresh romaine leaves as taco shells and serve tacos as usual. (You may want to use the leaves as tortillas or soft taco shells by wrapping the soft part of the leaves into the taco. It helps to keep down the mess ;)
ENJOY!
Only 294 calories per serving! (2-3 tacos per serving)

Replies