Comparison Photos - Less than 3 months of swimming

Options
On June 13th, I weighed 219 pounds; and I just started using the pool at the Senior Clubhouse. I had not worn a swimsuit for more than 50 years, because I thought that I would be the joke of the pool. It took guts to put on that swimdress and show so much of my body for the first time in public. Now, I look forward to my daily trips to the pool and could care less what others think of my body. I want to swim too much to let that ever stop me again.

Today - September 6th, I weigh 201.6 pounds (almost to Onederland); and I am swimming one hour almost every day of the week to the delight of my doctor and my surgeon. That's not a bad workout for a 68 year lady who spends most of her day in a wheelchair and can only get around the house, using a walker. I have a wonderful tan in areas that use to be lily white and much more strength in both my arms and legs. The freedom and joy of the water are the best part of my day.

Soon, I will be getting the first of my 2 knee replacement surgeries. Then, you will see pictures of this 'old girl' riding her first bicycle. I never got to have one as a child, because my mother considered it too dangerous with a business street nearby our home. Once I have my new knees, I want a grannie bike with a basket in the back...you know...that Big Wheel for us old girls. Then, you just watch me go. I will be so thrilled to finally be pedaling my own shiny, new bike around our much safer, senior community. I can ride it to the store and even to the pool.

I wanted to share some comparison photos with you of what 18 pounds of weight loss and less than 3 months swimming can do for even the most out of shape old lady's body.

Front View

ComparingJune13toSept6Front_zps595c141e.jpg?t=1378413167

Back View

ComparingJune13toSept6Back_zpsd591f3da.jpg?t=1378499512

Side View

65f5f6d5-ba2e-4a82-953d-2b5e0109e216_zps38eebbbe.jpg?t=1378499534

A woman that I only met about a month ago came up to me yesterday at the edge of the pool. I knew that she was trying to say something to me, so I swam to the edge and asked her, "Were you speaking to me?"

She whispered back to me, "Are you losing weight? I noticed that you looked thinner, when you were getting into the pool."

I couldn't help but smile, as I explained to her, "Yes, I am losing weight. I have lost over 69 pounds this year. Thanks for noticing." It's nice to know that even one month of weight loss and swimming is noticeable to other folks.

I didn't take any photos like these last year, when I weighed over 280 pounds...or even when I joined MFP, weighing in at about 260 pounds; but I am glad that I have them now, because they encourage me to keep going and stay committed for my food plan and my exercise routine.

Are you taking photos to help you see the changes in your body?

Replies

• sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i love when you post. :flowerforyou: well done!
  • peachy1717
    peachy1717 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, way to go!
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you took, photos, too, it's wonderful to see the dramatic improvement you've made in such little time.
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options
    So much awesome progress! I love to swim as well and it's totally working for you!
  • Martica333
    Options
    Wow. I'm so happy for you. Awesome progress!!
  • djwandalicious
    Options
    One of the biggest differences is how HAPPY you look in the current photos and how big your smile is! Keep on smiling - you are an inspiration.
  • mermaidmom48
    mermaidmom48 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING! What a difference a mere 18 lbs makes. The sun and the water have made a new woman of you. I cant wait to see how it goes in another 20 lbs. It's a tremendous victory.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    i love when you post. :flowerforyou: well done!

Me too!

Good for you! Keep up the awesome work! :smile:
  • lavsk23
    lavsk23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Tremendous progress :) Love the tan :) You look so amazing and happy! Keep going!
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Your hard work is certainly paying off, keep up the good work!
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bravo to you for encouraging others by posting your photos.

I went through a transformation several years ago and always posted progress photos and then the before and after and it was quite motivating to me. I slipped into old habits of stress eating and started skipping workouts and of course the weight came back on.

This time I am determined to be done with weight issues for good and do take the occasional photo to remind myself of how far I have come. My husband has a photo of me on his phone the day after I started weight watchers in January and reminds me of how far I have come. It is hard when you have a lot of weight to lose but it sounds like you also realize it has to be a permanent lifestyle change and you have found an activity you love obviously so you should be quite successful. Good luck with your knee surgery and I hope you get an awesome bike and love it as much as swimming!
  • CarKiller2013
    CarKiller2013 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! WTG!!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING! What a difference a mere 18 lbs makes. The sun and the water have made a new woman of you. I cant wait to see how it goes in another 20 lbs. It's a tremendous victory.

This is a photo of me at 280+ pounds. I only have photos like this of me at my top weight fully clothed and hiding as much of my body as possible. They wouldn't even exist, if I had known that they were being taken at the time. It is only now that I am happy that someone had these old photos of me.

11-19-11280poundsstandinginpain_zps716c581e.jpg

Now...compare a photo of me at my top weight in November 2011 to this photo taken today...more than 80 pounds lighter.

SideBySide2011to09-06-13_zpsa2a9f4cd.jpg?t=1378509210

I was in so much plan back in November of 2011, when these photos were taken of me. I was also only a few months away from being put into a wheelchair, when my surgeon saw the x-rays of my knees and said that I could not risk putting weight on my knees any longer.

Even taking the photos in my living room is a high risk activity. I have too many fractures in the head of the bones in my knees. That is why I am so eager to get those new knees.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Fabulous job! Even more than the physical changes, the changes you've made in your confidence, self worth and attitude are awesome! Very inspirational! Well done, keep it up!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Very motivating, inspirational & courageous!
  • Super Inspiring!! Way to go!!! This shows that no matter your "hurdle" it's mind over matter!!!
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You inspired me to try harder! Your story is amazing in what you have accomplished and your relationship with your husband. Bless you in reaching your goals!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    There is a very noticeable difference. You look great, keep up the fantastic work and thank you for sharing your story and progress.
  • CinDenn3
    Options
    You are amazing! I am so happy for you!
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You really look fantastic, well done!