Oh please, some pizza...

So my BMR is around 1500, and I don't do anything during the day. I'm stuck in front of a computer as I work from home and I live in an area where it rains almost constantly at this time of the year, so it's hard to get out and about to do things. I'm joining a gym as soon as I can move out of my current apartment complex, at the end of October. But for the next two months, I'm stuck inside with nothing to do. I've decided to stay at 1000 calories a day, and I've been following this faithfully. However...I'm craving pizza like crazy. It's one of my favorite foods. I love this place up the road that has amazing New York style pizza that is just to die for. But...but won't that kill my diet? I can't just eat pizza. Or is it okay to have a cheat day once in a while where you go above your calorie limit? I'm already at 500 right now, and I know I probably wouldn't be able to eat any today for sure, but I don't know what to do. I don't want to just freak out and binge one day, which is what I'm worried about the most. What do you do when you're starving for your favorite food?

Replies

• Every now and then, we have to eat something that we just really want to otherwise, we'll go way overboard. You will not undo all that you you have lost by eating pizza. And, you don't have to eat the whole pizza.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Not understanding why you've decided to stay at 1000 calories a day based on the information provided.

ETA: To answer your question, when I want to eat something, I eat it and fit it into my daily goals. If I can't fit it in, I make room for it tomorrow.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Going crazy is not a good way to lose weight. If your BMR is 1500, eat that much and enjoy a slice. You'll still be losing weight, and you'll be happy.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    No way would I give up delicious pizza! But I have cut back from 3-4 slices to 1-2.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I'd get a slice or two if you're really craving them. And buy an umbrella and go for a walk, heck just jog in front of the tv to burn more calories.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    No way would I give up delicious pizza! But I have cut back from 3-4 slices to 1-2.
    THIS... and sometimes i'll have plain cheese with no meat.... and sometimes I'll take a won ton wrapper, slap on sauce,, garlic salt, cheese and 3 thin sliced pepperoni slices and roll it up and bake it. 3 of these gives me pizza taste and keeps cals low...off the top of my head 120 per comes to mind.... I do this until the time I can plan the real thing into my day. I figure 250 calories per slice of a good meaty, pepperoni, sausage, sopresatta pizza with hot peppers and mushrooms=doable
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Why are you sticking to 1000?? I can't see the point if you ave worked everything out.

Personally, a cheat meal s the way I deal with cravings ad even then I try to make them fit into my weekly goals.

Temptation is not going to go away, so you have to deal with it. Cheat days work for me, but I ever have more than 1 a week.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    [/quote]
    THIS... and sometimes i'll have plain cheese with no meat.... and sometimes I'll take a won ton wrapper, slap on sauce,, garlic salt, cheese and 3 thin sliced pepperoni slices and roll it up and bake it. 3 of these gives me pizza taste and keeps cals low...off the top of my head 120 per comes to mind.... I do this until the time I can plan the real thing into my day. I figure 250 calories per slice of a good meaty, pepperoni, sausage, sopresatta pizza with hot peppers and mushrooms=doable
    [/quote]

you just told me what i am eating for dinner tonight.....thanks! fab idea
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member
    Every now and then, we have to eat something that we just really want to otherwise, we'll go way overboard. You will not undo all that you you have lost by eating pizza. And, you don't have to eat the whole pizza.

I was just getting hungry for pizza, too. She's right, though. Don't eat the entire pizza in one sitting. If I get a large pizza, I like to spread it out over a few days.

EDIT: When I worked as a medical transcriptionist for those 6 months, I gained 15+ pounds because I wasn't doing a lot of anything active.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

Haha 250 calories per slice for that? Try 400...
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Get a personal size pizza and save half for tomorrow. You can also run inside your apartment. Thats what I do, because where I live it is so hot! At least it has been.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    If your BMR is 1500, you need to eat at least that amount, or you will have cravings that will lead to big time binges! Eat the pizza, and don't fret about it! And, why wait until you move to start doing some exercise? There are a lot of good videos on YouTube to get you started! Eating at 1000 calories is not healthy for anyone, unless you are a very little person, or a child....but if you already know your BMR, why question it? Enjoy eating, and lose weight at the same time. You'll be a lot happier. Good luck.
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    I net between 1500 and 1700 calories a day. I started actively getting fit on July 11th. I'm down 10 lbs, a pant size, and up in strength.

I eat pizza whenever I want. In fact, I took a 9 day vacation last month where I went on multiple brewery tours, bar tours, and while in Chicago I HAD to have deep dish from Giordano's, ate it for dinner and breakfast the next day. That "week" I did not exercise (minus all the walking) or log my calories and I gained about 1 lb, probably all sodium because within 2 days of being back home, I lost it.

Eat more, exercise more. Don't deprive yoursef, you'll only make yourself miserable, and in my experience, when I'm miserable I lose sight of my goals, resulting in overeating and gaining.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Sandwich thin=100 calories.

make 2 "pizzas." With sauce, a little pepperoni and vegetables, mozzarella cheese, less than 400 cals. Boom. My BIL's gf did this and I've been dying to try it.

I'm not sure why you're eating so little, though. And I do workout dvds when I can't make it to the gym. Just as good.
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Perceptively we should track our calorie intake daily, however I also look at the total weekly caloric requirement. So at 1200 calories a day, the weekly calorie intake is 8400. There are some days that I eat below my daily calorie intake and there are some days I eat a bit over, but at the end of the week it is my cumulative intake that matters. If I know there will be a special event where I'm going to want to eat something special, I will work out a bit more and modify another day or two. I may also decide that with a good workout I can eat that special treat as well, and for me it's carrot cake.

I hope this helps.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    I'm sorry but you can't exercise because you work from home and it rains a lot? I work from home too. I also live in Florida where it's really hot and rains a lot. I walk my dog 3 miles every day, rain or shine. You won't melt. If you really can't bear to get outside then buy a jump rope or an exercise DVD.

If you want that pizza then plan around it. There's absolutely no reason why you can't eat more calories and get in some exercise.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Once every month or six weeks, I go to my favorite pizza place. Instead of getting a whole pizza like I used to, I get one or two slices and a big salad. I make sure it's a day when I have a lot of calories left late in the day. That's what I did today. I really enjoyed it, but it was so rich and heavy that I know I'm not going to want pizza for awhile again.

If there's something you really want, you can have it once in awhile--but you have to plan for it and earn the extra calories.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member

Haha 250 calories per slice for that? Try 400...
    well I plugged it into my mfp recipe creator and it came to 250 per slice, including making my own crust.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Eat the pizza.

Increase what you are eating generally -- you should be eating at least 1200 calories a day, but if you know your BMR is 1500 why are you eating less than that amount?

You can exercise in your apartment -- try Youtube for exercise ideas of using nothing but things you have in your apartment. A chair, a gallon jug of water, a phone book, a wall, even just you!!
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    I make pizza almost every day for lunch! I use a whole wheat tortilla, spread about 1/8 c sauce, top with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, ground turkey, tuna, chicken....a combination of what I have and what I have cooked... top it off with 1 oz of shredded cheddar, pop it into the toaster oven for about 10 mins...slice, and eat the whole thing!! (sometimes I slice 1/2 an avocado and put it on after cooking).

Today's was 450 calories with tuna and spinach at the toppings.