Always feel awful on MFP calories-- how to fix?

Options
Hi there,

I've tried MFP a couple times in the past, but have never found success in large part because I always end up feeling AWFUL on the amount of calories that it recommends. I feel shaky, weak, and unfocused. I don't eat a lot of junk and always eat protein with my meals.

I think I need to up my calories but I'm not sure how much to ensure that I'm still losing weight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE and take a % off of that. Here is a calculator for you:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

And here is more information about the TDEE method:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976981-welcome-to-mfp-don-t-worry-there-s-cliff-notes?hl=welcome+to+MFP
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Try to put your weight loss at half a pound a week? It is hard to help since we can't see your diary
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    you don't really give any information for anyone to help you. For example, height, current/goal weight, calories MFP gives you, what you're eating. Provide some of that info and perhaps we can help.
  • fitgal122
    Options
    As long as your getting a calorie deficient you will lose weight. Eat 20% of your TDEE and you will be fine and that should been enough calories for you :)
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    would need more info to really help you weight age sex and activity level play a big part in the calories you need. I always thought I was lightly active until I got my bodymedia and iam moderate active accoeding to that so I adjusted my goals. maybe go for a smaller a week loss.
  • clynnharris12
    clynnharris12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow-- thanks all!

I've read the TDEE and BMR article and that was helpful.

My TDEE is 2133.

I'm lightly active during the day (on my feet at least 60-70% of the time) and walk 20-30 minutes a day.

I'd like to lose 15-20 lbs.

Does that help?
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    so eat tdee -5 to 10% you don't have a lot to loss so it going to be slow loss at around .5lb a week.

so between 1900 and 2000 calories a day would be a safe bet.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? DO YOU EAT YOUR EXERCISR CALORIES BACK? (Sorry nook got stuck)
    Are you on meds? Lots of variables.
  • sstillwell
    sstillwell Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As long as your getting a calorie deficient you will lose weight. Eat 20% of your TDEE and you will be fine and that should been enough calories for you :)

Eat 20% BELOW your TDEE, which is 80% OF TDEE. Eating 20% of TDEE would have you starving.

Sorry to be pedantic, but we don't want people cutting calories too far, do we?
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    mine's around the same. MFP recommends i eat 1,500 cals a day, which for me would be STARVATION! other calculators have had me with my activity level needing around 2000-2200 cals to maintain my weight, and i find that to be where i feel the best.

another thing that helps is make sure you eat plenty of fat withing your calorie range! i feel much much better with a good percentage of fat in my diet. keep playing around with things. MFP is just a tool! it's not your mom. you can adapt things to fit your life :)
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2133 and you only want to lose 15-20lbs then:

Either:

A 15% deficit - 1813
    A 10% deficit - 1919
    A 5% deficit - 2026
    A 20% deficit would probably to drastic for what little you have to lose. Give anything you try 4-6weeks to evaluate if its working or not. If you haven't lost weight 6 weeks from now, take 100 calories off of your goal and repeat.

Keep in mind:
    Sodium will make your weight go up (water retention).
    TOM makes most women retain water.
    New exercise plans can make weight go up (water retention).
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Also, invest in a food scale to be as accurate as you can with your intake. It's very easy to eat more calories than you think.
  • clynnharris12
    Options
    I was thinking of shooting for 1800-- too little?

I don't eat my exercise calories back.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of shooting for 1800-- too little?

I don't eat my exercise calories back.

You aren't supposed to with the TDEE method. You have the same goal every day because your exercise is included in that number.
  • clynnharris12
    Options
    Wow-- this feedback is amazing! Thanks so much everyone!

rkasper22-- we sound very similar. I really appreciate your tip on fat. Could you give me some examples of what you do? I already have almond butter on my ezekiel bread toast every morning but the rest of my fat is probably from dairy (not ideal!).
  • clynnharris12
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a reliable, inexpensive food scale?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Walmart has a great one for less than 20$
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Just bought this one (ordered on the 31st and received it yesterday...didn't pay for fast shipping either):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MSZBSI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The one I had bought from walmart in June (different brand) started malfunctioning in July. Replaced batteries and it still gave me trouble. Didn't like to turn on, was replacing batteries every 2 weeks, would randomly reset itself (usually while I was trying to portion something out), etc. I paid about $20 for it and I really regret the purchase.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

depending on where you are located..I bought mine at a hardware store here in Canada it was on sale for 20$..Starfrit...regular price 65$...

has a lot of functions but I love it..still learning the functions but it measures in grams and oz and has a zero out button so I can put my plate on it add my meat...zero it out...add my veggies...etc.

http://www.atlanticpromotionsinc.com/products/2-starfrit/65-kitchen_accessories/72-kitchen_scales/213-0930330060000-electronic_kitchen_scale_with_stainless_steel_bowl_.html

edited to add link