Do you like crab cakes?

Options
apothecarist
apothecarist Posts: 193
Well, I made a take on crab cakes using canned tuna, compliments of a recipe I found in my "Hungry Girl 200 Under 200" cookbook. I tweaked it a little and they turned out really yummy. I ate one as a sandwich on some thin Orowheat bread with spinach and tomatoes. Each "tuna cake" is a mere 40 calories.

IMG_4103.jpg

Ingredients: (makes 7 cakes)

One 6-oz can albacore tuna packed in water, drained
3/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
1/2 cup fat free liquid egg substitue
2 tablespoons red onion, diced
1 teaspoon French mustard
1 teaspoon low fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:

Place Fiber One in a food processor or blender. Add some salt and pepper and grind to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Place half of the crumbs in a small dish and set aside.

Place remaining crumbs in a medium mixing bowl. Shred tuna by hand into the bowl. Add the onions, egg substitute, sour cream, mustard, salt and lemon juice. Stir until thoroughly mixed.

Line a large baking sheet w/parchment paper. Form tuna mixture into 7 mounds on the sheet. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.

Gently coat the mounds in the remaining Fiber One crumbs. Make sure to flip them and cover all sides well.

Bring a large pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Cook tuna cake for 3 minutes on each side.

Replies

• EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I might try these, I LOVE crab cakes and these sound pretty good! thanks
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    awesome......................
  • mlg1712
    mlg1712 Posts: 14
    Options
    These sound delish, thank you!
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Looks really good. I have even done them with left over salmon.I love anything seafood.:love:
  • NWSAVE
    NWSAVE Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... thanks! I will try this. I like any cake, fish or otherwise. :tongue:
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    talk about bait and switch. you mention crab in the title and then slip in tuna? for shame!
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    talk about bait and switch. you mention crab in the title and then slip in tuna? for shame!

sorry about that! i didn't mean to be a tease :wink:

but, you could sub crab for the tuna!
  • JacyOnTheFly
    JacyOnTheFly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! Does anyone know if they happen to freeze/reheat well? Thanks!

-Jacy
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love crab cakes. I will certainly try this.
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

:laugh: Yeah, I went straight to the recipe, didn't read her intro. I was like, "Umm, isn't crab cakes made of crabs? :indifferent: " :laugh:

Does anyone have the fat/cal info? I'm feeling pretty lazy? And, do you know what they taste like? The last crab cake that I can remember tasting is from LJS. Any similar?
  • SHINDY12
    Options
    Bump