A Fresh Start On An Old struggle

Options
Hello Fellow Friends,

Let me tell you a little about myself. I am a female, 57 years old and think I know most every diet out there. I've had many successes but lately (let's be honest...the last four years) I have had my struggles. I was just getting ready to join Weight Watchers for lord knows, maybe the 50'th time when I stumbled across MFP. The appeal was the ratings that a diet success search gave it, (the same as Weight Watchers) and of course the community. Now the "free" component is also a great plus and I can do support at home!

I should weigh around 164 pounds (no desire to be skinny) and I weighed in today for a high of 180 pounds. Do you think it was the Pina Colada Ben and Jerry's or the dozen or so chocolate cookies last night?

I'd also like to mention that I quit my wine habit of a few glasses a night two months ago and I am really proud of that but I think I'm substituting food and sugar so I saw no weight loss! I would love to invite friends and have fun along this journey of a 16 pound weight loss. I know it doesn't sound like much but I have been working on it for four years so just maybe it is time:)

Thanks for your support,

Maggie

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!
  • puggiefan
    puggiefan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I am starting back tomorrow. This is a great way to go, good choice.
  • puggiefan
    puggiefan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Piratesfan21, Great job on your 50lb loss! You look amazing.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Good Luck sounds like ur on track!!
  • beckyzalldat
    beckyzalldat Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    good luck!!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    OMG, Ben and Jerry's makes Pina Colada ice cream??? I did NOT need to know that. Good thing I'm way too lazy to get up right now and go to the grocery store ;-)

Like you, I've had success w weight loss in the past, usually w simple tweaks to diet and exercise, but over the past 2 years, that's just not working for me and my weight has gradually been creeping up.

I am generally hooked on sugar... it's totally addictive for me. I can't eat a little. If I have one snack sized candy bar, I have 20. So, I've just started REALLY increasing my protein intake and I'm finding it's really helping my sugar cravings. For instance, I eat 3 eggs with a chicken sausage link + spinach and peppers most mornings. It's around 400 calories and I'm full for most of the morning. I do allow myself fruit, but I've really tried to cut back on complex carbs and on added refined sugars.

I'm not sure how it's going to turn out for weight loss, but it's the first time in a long time that I haven't craved sugar during the day.

Not sure that will help you keep from filling the "wine" hole with other snacks, but I've also cut way back on alcohol and am still not having cravings.

Good luck on your journey. All the best to you!
    Jen
  • giftysales
    giftysales Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, how great to start the day off reading your posts! Thank you for all your support and comments. Kicking up the protein to stave off the sugar cravings is a great idea.

Here comes the weekend with a party for the Americas Cup in San Francisco today. Where is that veggie tray?

Maggie