Krav Maga

Options
I was wondering if there was anyone doing Krav Maga on the website. I started about a month ago and am absolutely in love with it.

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Krav Maga but I'm VERY interested in it! I'm a power and strength girl and I'm sure I'd love it. I've been considering starting it in the new year.
  • Clew
    Options
    ... do you take classes or use DVDs?
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    sounds fascinating! Best of luck!
  • Rivka74
    Rivka74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been checking this out, I am very intrigued. There are limited locations where I live, but am investigating where I might be able to do this. Let me know what you think?
  • Bearsy08
    Options
    I go to classes and I love it. I think the DVD's are more of a how to. The classes I take incorporate cardio and survial skils along with technique, power and self defense. It seriously is AWESOME and its real life stuff not what you see in the movies. If you have seen the movie Enough that is what Jennifer Lopez learns to protect her self from her husband. Most place offer a free class so check it out I am sure you will love it. It is a class for everyone but I am a power and strength girl as well.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    It's a very effective discipline, but, like anything else, it depends a lot on what you put into it and your instructor.
  • Clew
    Options
    I've been hoping to catch a class, but we live in the sticks on top of a busy schedule as it is ... There's a Krav Maga studio not TOO far away - it's just that getting to classes regularly is often problematic. Hoping to arrange my schedule accordingly soon!
  • Bearsy08
    Options
    It does indeed depend on you and the instructor but I am lucky to have a great instructor. I am hoping to test two levels (from 1A to 1C) durning the next testing.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My son is taking it. In one month he has completely transformed his body. He loves it! He said it is the hardest workout he has ever done.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I started Krav Maga in 2008 and took it religiously for about a year. I would do between 1 and 2 hours of self defense training on Saturday mornings, and then 1 or 2 various classes during the week. I did test for my yellow belt (level 2) which is no joke...a 6 hour test with a 15 minute break 3 hours into it. It's been about a year now since I've gone. The birth of our daughter and a business venture took priority over having to drive 35 minutes to class here in Kansas City.

I'm about to sign up for another month or two this spring followed by the July Boot Camp. I want to change my training a little bit and I know that Krav will do that, without a doubt. My body, while becoming a better running needs to be shocked to stimulate some additional weight loss.

Unlimited classes here in KC run somewhere in the neighborhood of $110 / month. Steve, their head guy is very motivational and I like the punishment and encouragement I get when training there. Classes are usually a 1/1 mix of men and women of all fitness levels.

If you're thinking of giving it a try, consider varying your workouts there. I've found their self defense classes to be a workout but they take time to explain some of the tactics whereas the fitness classes are non-stop cardio fun.