Exercise & Weight loss

Options
Hey guys I have a question about exercise and weight loss.

Realistically I've only properly started back logging what I eat and exercising this week as I am off work this week and next, so I k now that I probably won't see any results this week but hopefully next week I will.

I work my *kitten* off for 45mins a day through TurboJam and I usually burn at least 600 calories through this. I eat my 1400 calories and would sometimes eat maybe 200 of my exercise calories. I also try getting in a walk with the dogs and this is usually around 170cals.

Is this enough to lose weight each week, or should I try and do more exercise?

At the moment I weigh 178lbs and I'm 5ft 1"

Replies

• LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you eat fairly clean you will lose 2-3lbs a week doing this. After you drop some weight you will need to pick up the intensity to maintain the weight loss.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would lose weight doing that. Everyone's body works differently. I have bigger losses when I eat back most or all of my exercise calories, but some don't.
  • rml_16
    Options
    If you eat fairly clean you will lose 2-3lbs a week doing this. After you drop some weight you will need to pick up the intensity to maintain the weight loss.

Most women will not lose at that rate unless they are very obese.
  • deedun
    deedun Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Most women will not lose at that rate unless they are very obese.

I know myself that I would be lucky if I lost half a pound in one week, my body is VERY slow and losing weight.

The reason I asked the question is that I was wondering if I should increase my exercise per day? Or are the 45min @ 600(ish) cals ok??
  • rml_16
    Options
    You should be fine at 600 per day. That's a LOT, actually. I aim for about 3,500 a week and (as I said above) I usually eat most of those back. I've even had losses weeks I've gone over.

Of course, everyone's body is different. But I know people who lost a great deal of weight and have maintained for YEARS with no exercise at all. It's about calories in vs. calories out, so more or less exercise really doesn't matter if your calorie deficit remains the same.

What exercise does is tones your body and is good for overall health. But with weight loss, it only matters if you want to eat more. :-)

I also find that exercise keeps me on track with my eating, but that's a personal thing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The 600 cals is OK, is that is what you are burning. At your weight, that's the equivalent of running at a 10:00 to 10:30/mile pace continuously for 45 minutes. Can you do that? If so, and this represents the same effort as your class, then you should be in the ballpark. If not, then your calorie expenditure is less, although probably not dramatically so.

Right now, I would say stick with it and see how it goes. You are not eating back all of the exercise calories, which is good. If you were going to change up your program, I would suggest rearranging some things before just adding more cardio. I would not do the same class or type of class at the same intensity every day, but change a couple of days to some longer, less intense endurance days. I would also add some strength training.
  • deedun
    Options
    The 600 cals is OK, is that is what you are burning. At your weight, that's the equivalent of running at a 10:00 to 10:30/mile pace continuously for 45 minutes. Can you do that? If so, and this represents the same effort as your class, then you should be in the ballpark. If not, then your calorie expenditure is less, although probably not dramatically so.

Right now, I would say stick with it and see how it goes. You are not eating back all of the exercise calories, which is good. If you were going to change up your program, I would suggest rearranging some things before just adding more cardio. I would not do the same class or type of class at the same intensity every day, but change a couple of days to some longer, less intense endurance days. I would also add some strength training.

I use a HRM to monitor my calorie burn and I use the TurboJam dvd's - It's a different class every day based on interval training and I also incorporate strenght training into that.

I am unable to run due to foot injuries but I do work hard during my classes..
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think that's plenty exerise hun :bigsmile: Probably too much! 30mins 5 days per week is the average.

You should rest at least one day per week to allow your body recovery time.

Most trainers/nutrionists/dietitions would say that losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise. So make sure your diet is good :wink:

Good luck with the weigh in :flowerforyou:
  • deedun
    Options
    Well I'm trying to eat as clean as I can, so hopefully I will lose this week, I just didn't think 45mins was enough in a day!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Well I'm trying to eat as clean as I can, so hopefully I will lose this week, I just didn't think 45mins was enough in a day!

45 minutes is plenty if it's what you're happy with. Just realize that the less you weigh and the more fit you become, you'll burn fewer calories for the same activity, so if you want to continue burning the same nunmber of calories, you'll probably have to work out harder or longer or both.

However, like I said above, as long as you have a calorie deficit overall, the amount of time spent exercising (for weight loss) isn't important. For health, I think the minimum recommendation it 30 minutes of moderate activity three to four times a week. I do a lot more than that, but that's the minimum recommended for cardiovascular health, etc.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I use a HRM to monitor my calorie burn and I use the TurboJam dvd's - It's a different class every day based on interval training and I also incorporate strenght training into that.

In this case, your HRM is almost certainly overestimating your calorie burn--just based on what you are saying, I would estimate by 20% or more--most likely because your max HR is higher than average.

I would just be cautious about how many exercise calories you include in your diet planning and not include more than 1/2 of what the HRM says.
  • chubbydan
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I am struggling to lose the weight and I do not eat any calories back from exercise. I am 5'11 and 235. I've been eating 1510 calories a day, as per the program. I work out 5-6 days a week, doing 1 hour of cardio every day, plus weight training. I burn anywhere from 600-1000 calories a day in the gym, yet for some reason I have barely lost any weight. I started on August 2, 2010 and it is nearly 2 months. I've lost about 10 pounds and I am beyond frustrated.

I've even purchased a heart rate monitor watch to verify my exercises are reaching maximum potential. I range rfom 130 BPM and 170 BPM (beat per minute). Still with all that, I am failing!
  • deedun
    Options
    My heart rate is usually between 155-173 for each of my cardio classes and they last minimum of 45mins so I think the HRM is near enough to the calorie burn that it states.

As I said on my first post I only started on Monday and I've lost 1.8lbs. I weigh in every week on a thurs morning at the same time too.
  • healthygurl
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I am struggling to lose the weight and I do not eat any calories back from exercise. I am 5'11 and 235. I've been eating 1510 calories a day, as per the program. I work out 5-6 days a week, doing 1 hour of cardio every day, plus weight training. I burn anywhere from 600-1000 calories a day in the gym, yet for some reason I have barely lost any weight. I started on August 2, 2010 and it is nearly 2 months. I've lost about 10 pounds and I am beyond frustrated.

I've even purchased a heart rate monitor watch to verify my exercises are reaching maximum potential. I range rfom 130 BPM and 170 BPM (beat per minute). Still with all that, I am failing!

Gosh, I really feel for you, that must be so frustrating :angry: Perhaps this is your body's way of telling you that you need to eat a little more? It sounds like your body has entered starvation mode, particularly when you burn up to 1000 cals in the gym, and you only eat 1500. Your body is receiving a net amount of 500 -- it may not think that is enough, so is conserving the fat?? Just a thought.
    Also, have you been keeping track of your body measurements -- maybe you've lost the inches, but it's not reflected on the scales because you've been building muscle while losing fat.
    Hang in there and stick with it, you'll get there :smile:
  • rml_16
    Options

In this case, your HRM is almost certainly overestimating your calorie burn--just based on what you are saying, I would estimate by 20% or more--most likely because your max HR is higher than average.

I would just be cautious about how many exercise calories you include in your diet planning and not include more than 1/2 of what the HRM says.

I eat every calorie my HRM gives me and sometimes more. I still lose weight just fine.

Dee -- Let your weight losses be your guide. If you're losing at a rate accpetable to you, then keep doing what you're doing and adjust as needed.
  • rml_16
    Options

I have bigger losses when I eat my exercise calories back. You may be slwoing your metabolism doing what you're doing.
  • deedun
    Options

I eat every calorie my HRM gives me and sometimes more. I still lose weight just fine.

Dee -- Let your weight losses be your guide. If you're losing at a rate accpetable to you, then keep doing what you're doing and adjust as needed.

Thanks RML and everyone else for your advice, much appreciated :flowerforyou: