What is YOUR 5 a day?

Options
As part of my diet i was thinking of starting to eat the 5 a day recommendation. What do YOU eat for your 5 a day?

Need some suggestions :D

Replies

43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Do you mean the 5:2 pgm?
  • digbybebe
    digbybebe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I never understand why people have a problem with 5a day. Maybe its because of how I was brought up but even without thinki.g about it I easily eat at lesst 5.
    I grow a lot of fruit and veg and often pick stuff straight from the garden so that goes'uncounted' but yesterday for example I had a grapefruit for breakfast. After two hours hard gardeni.ng I was peckish but it was close to lunch so I had an apple. Lunch was penne pasta with mushrooms and chestnutand sage...mid afternoon I was picking grapes to start my next batch of wine...so ate quite a few nibbled some goji berries later on. Supper was chicken curry which included some fruit and veg plus I did a side of cumin roasted beans.
    If I am cooking something a bit heavy or pasta etc I cook less but make a big mixed salad. Not just lettucecucumberand toms but anything......raddish, avacado, carrot, steamed beans, celery, grated cabbage, beetroot, sweetcorn....anything you fancy. Desserts are usually fruit based...fruit salads, nat yoghurt with sliced banans, cakes or tarts with plenty of fruit to decorate, crumbles, cobblers....I try to use fruit or veg to sweeten cakes...eg carrotcake or brownies using beetroot...
    If I cook bolognese or chilli I boost the meat withall sorts of veg....peppers, courgette, aubergine..I add the veg thet would be native to where the dish is from. I also would add fresh salsas for variety. I use fresh herbs in abundance
    I could go on...but I dnt want to bore you...lol
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Sample day:

Breakfast - smoothie w/ fresh or frozen fruit including banana, spinach, protein powder and liquid of your choice (water, milk, faux milk, or juice). Banana masks the taste of the spinach.

Snack - Apple slices w/ almond butter, or celery w/ almond butter, or carrots w/ yogurt ranch dip, or handful of grapes, or snap peas

Lunch - Big salad w/ a leafy green and whatever veg and protein you like. Currently loving arugula + green grapes + blue cheese + chicken

Snack - Same as above, or a V8 or carrot juice with a string cheese

Dinner - Acorn squash w/ sausage, eggplant parm, pasta w/ a veg-heavy sauce, nice piece of fish w/ sauteed spinach or grilled asparagus

Dessert - Frozen unsweetened cherries
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I easily eat 5 a day on most days and often more. My diary is open - feel free to browse - good luck! :)

PS - just had a look at your diary and you do have plenty of spare calories to bulk out the DietChef meals with lots of veggies - it will also help fill you up for longer - I know those meals are rather small !!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I get 7-9 servings of fruits and veggies per day by putting them into my nutri bullet and juicing them. It is so much easier this way.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on it myself.

Blackberries/raspberries for breakfast. As someone else said, making a smoothie works wonders. Yogurt, some frozen fruit, a smidge of fruit juice, and bam, 1-2 servings of fruit and breakfast all in one.

Portable fruit for a snack (apple, pear, dried figs, etc)

Dinner I usually have 2 or 3 combined servings of lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, etc, etc. Salads work well.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Ehhhh, I'm not convinced by the 5 a day thing. "They" are always changing what is recommended, and the "5 a day" campaign is just the most recent one.

That being said, I generally *do* get 5 a day. Banana and spinach in a smoothie in the morning, an apple and another piece of fruit as a snack during the day, and at least one vegetable with dinner. :)
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If I have eggs in the morning, I'll add cooked spinach to them. If I have a smoothie, I add 2 frozen fruits and the juice of 1/2 a lemon.

Homemade tomato soup with fresh tomatoes from the garden has been a serving lately.

If I have a piece of chicken or fish, I always round out with at least 2 veggies.

Bananas for when I'm out and about.

Summer time means more fruit than veg for me. Peaches are the featured fruit right now.

Salad at lunch time. I don't make it fancy, just romaine, tomatoes & cucumber. If I have them, green onions. Then a protein on top.

I always have a nice stash of frozen fruits and veggies on hand.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You've all inspired me. I don't eat enough fruit and veg. I will look into having some frozen berries to add to breakfast and some salads now that it is summer (I'm in the Southern Hemisphere) I do like vegetable soups.
  • TimeWillTell2
    TimeWillTell2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I easily eat 5 fruits/veggies a day by eating 5 small meals. I try to space eating every 2-3 hours so I never feel like I am tremendously hungry. I find that I do not binge if I eat more often. I try to eat fresh veggies and fruit or frozen. I start in the morning with a protein shake with fresh fruit, mid morning I eat fresh melon or grapes, lunch I have a salad with grilled chicken, mid afternoon usually consists for grapes, strawberries, protein bar or apple and finally I have dinner. Dinner is usually the largest meal consisting of a lean meat, baked sweet or white potato, grilled veggies and salad. If I am feeling a little hungry later in the evening I may have another shake or protein bar.
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    5 a day is easy. I log my main meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner (mainly protein baseslike meat or egg, milk for breakfast) and then whatever calories I have left I spend on snacks throughout the day, these can me anything from fruit to chocolate :-)
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    It's not.

The '5 a day' concept is merely an ad campaign.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    i have some veggies with my mid-morning snack. About 1 1/2 cups raw or a 12 ounce can of V-8. Call that two servings.

I have 2 cups of veggies with lunch, so that's four there. Sometimes I have some fruit, too, so another 1-2 servings there. Today I'll have an apple which I think is 2 servings.

I often have a meat-and-veggie dinner with about 2 cups of veggies. Or I sometimes have a large entree salad with protein. Call that 3-4 servings.

I have a banana at bedtime which I think is 2 servings.

So that adds up to 11 on a low day or 14 on a high day.

I took it in baby steps, just shooting for a couple of servings per day at first, gradually adding more in over time.

Edited to add: Well I went and looked up what they're recommending now, and they go by cups instead of half cups. What I did above was based on some previous iteration of the guidelines that used 1/2 cup servings. My apologies!
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My entire diet is based around good quality low fat protein and 2 veggies per meal with 2 pieces of fruit for snacks. I use grains and other carbs as treats. moving rice, bread & potatoes to the background it makes plenty of room for fruit and veg...
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I try to have some sort of veggie with every meal. For breakfast, I usually have scrambled eggs, cooked with diced onion and peppers. I buy frozen, pre-cut bags of diced onions and peppers (usually called seasoning mix), and throw that in with my eggs when they're cooking. They add flavor and volume, making it more filling.

For lunch, I brown-bag grilled turkey with a cup each of broccoli and green beans. Again, I buy big bags of frozen veggies and measure everything out on the weekends into containers. I also have a salad every day for lunch with about 2 cups of romaine lettuce, spinach, and tomatoes. (I love raw spinach but hate it cooked, lol.) The salad is very low in calories and filling. I top it with lemon juice and pepper. If you have the calories for it, a little olive oil is good, too.

For dinner, I re-heat one of several entrees I've cooked over the weekend. They're all healthy and relatively low calorie. I pair that with a cup or two of some veggie - whatever strikes my fancy that night. It sounds weird, but I really like those bags of frozen stir-fry veggies. Instead of stir-fry, i just steam the veggies as a side. I get bags of chopped snap peas, broccoli, squash, etc.

Honestly, I'm not a huge veggie lover, but I eat them anyway because I need them for optimal health and because they're filling and low-calorie. i just treat my daily veggie intake as something that has to be done, like brushing my teeth and making the bed. I just do it. Good luck!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 3 different fruits and 3 different vegetables every day and I strive for 9 servings a day (4 servings fruit + 5 servings vegetables). Feel free to browse my diary for ideas!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I avoid fruit, merely for it's high sugar content, and high acidic values, so is not kind to teeth. I get my fibre through, other food sources, such as bran, oats, nuts, grains, and vegetables.
  • TimeWillTell2
    TimeWillTell2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    We need a "like" button on here! :smile:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    We need a "like" button on here! :smile:

This isn't facebook! No, just kidding and mocking people on this site with attitude problems. :) I agree, we do need a "like" button. A "dislike" button wold be hilarious, but it would also be major drama! lol.