Are you taking Meridia for weight loss?

Options
My doc perscribed me meridia for an appetite supressent. The only problem....and i think its due to the meds.....was constipation. Now, How are you supposed to lose weight if youre plugged up all the time? I know this is not the best topic, but i am only partially sure its the meridia causing this.....do any of you take it? have you had this problem also? Is there something else i can ask my doctor about?

Replies

• sallyLunn
    Options
    I don't take Meridia, but I do take Metimucil, every night, like religion. It is a wonderful thing.
  • Brat3073
    Options
    I don't take Meridia, but I do take Metimucil, every night, like religion. It is a wonderful thing.

you mean the fiber stuff you mix with water? has that helped in your weight loss?
  • Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think the fiber is to help with your....other, issue ;)
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I took Meridia at the start of my weight loss and now that you mention it I remember being a little more backed up.
    I only took it for a month and a bit but if you are having issues they make the benefibre in singles. LOVE benefibre as it has helped on many occasions and there is no taste to it at all.

ETA: I googled "meridia causes constipation" and there were many results. It is quite comon. Here is one link I found:
    http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20632&name=MERIDIA
  • Brat3073
    Options
    thanks! I havent taken it for a few days not because of that, but if there is a way to still take it and get around that "problem" then i might go back!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    constipation is one of the MANY listed side effects of Sibutramine (meridia). It is suggested that if your problem contineus or worsens to call your doctor. Heres the complete list of side effects:

What side effects can this medication cause?
    Sibutramine may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

•headache

•change in appetite

•constipation

•heartburn

•dry mouth

•weakness

•back pain

•nervousness

•difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep

•runny nose

•flu-like symptoms

•flushing

•painful menstrual periods

Some side effects can be serious. The following symptoms are uncommon, but if you experience any of them, call your doctor immediately:

•fast or pounding heartbeat

•chest pain

•shortness of breath

•nausea

•stomach pain

•vomiting

•extreme excitement

•restlessness

•anxiety

•depression

•dizziness

•lightheadedness

•fainting

•confusion

•uncoordinated or abnormal movement

•muscle stiffness

•shaking hands that you cannot control

•seizures

•shivering

•excessive sweating

•fever

•sore throat

•large pupils (black area in center of eyes)

•change in vision

•eye pain

•hives

•skin rash

•itching

•difficulty speaking, breathing, or swallowing

•hoarseness

•swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs

•unusual bleeding or bruising

Sibutramine may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.

If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online [at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch] or by phone [1-800-332-1088].